Do you work on your "Swoop?'

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
Seems like surf announcer/commentators are the only ones that use the the term "swoop' to describe a maneuver. Have you ever heard a surfer say, "I really blew my swoop on that one" . Or "He really needs to work on his swoop." Do you ever use the term? When?

Reactions: Boneroni

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Ive heard others use the term a lot lately, on the internet, enhanced by the midlength explosion, used for people drawing more down the line lines. I don't use swoop, but I like to draw projecting lines the rare occasion I get a wave longer than 5 - 7 seconds start to finish.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
I may have used the term several months ago in a thread about drop-ins.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For a while cutbacks, especially roundhouse cutbacks, especially Joel Parkinson's roundhouse cutbacks when the judges stopped scoring those, were known as "safety swoops" around here in the *** Official Pro Ho Threads ***

Also backpaddle/snake/burn as noted above.

Reactions: Boneroni

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
I’ve heard and used “roller coaster” as a way to describe hauling ass up and down the wave face to generate speed and make it down the line and avoid a close out.

Reactions: One-Off

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
tv crowd+fun board+CI mid & pin+utube mikey february smooth swoop=adult learner working @ home
:bricks::drowning: