Do you enjoy swimming in freshwater?

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Being from FL where any body of water has something that can potentially bite you I was a little freaked out when I jumped into Lake Mead and swore there was something going to attack me at any moment until it didn’t…couldn’t shake that feeling…I always double check swimming pools too!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Being from FL where any body of water has something that can potentially bite you I was a little freaked out when I jumped into Lake Mead and swore there was something going to attack me at any moment until it didn’t…couldn’t shake that feeling…I always double check swimming pools too!
Good luck jumping into Lake Mead now.

Swimming pools for the Baby Ruth’s?

“Don’t go near the water
Don’t you think it’s sad…

Oceans rivers lakes and streams
Have all been touched by man…

The Beach Boys, before most posters here were in kindergarten.

Stinkeye

Miki Dora status
Jan 12, 2002
Gone and haven't looked back..
Visit site
Is that in N. Idaho? Looks very similar to a set of Alpine Lakes we have:

IMG_5492.jpeg

We hiked in to this lake and had it to ourselves. Water was probably around 70F. Perfect for swimming. We swam all the way across and my girl got a little freaked out as we neared the center. I had to play it cool and talk her through it. Not gonna lie though it was creepy out there for some reason.View attachment 153733View attachment 153734

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
one of the most refreshing swims I had in recent memory was jumping into an alpine lake after a 9 mile hike to get there in the summer in Sequoia National Park. another was pulling over along the Road to Hana to jump in and swim under a waterfall.

definitely enjoy swimming in freshwater when the right situation presents itself

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Generally I am more comfortable in the ocean than in lakes. Unless the lake is super clear, and even then it's a toss-up at best.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Growing up, my parents had a cattle ranch in the Sierra's with a crystal clear, granite lined river. It had the best swimming holes, water falls and fishing that I've ever experienced. Man I miss that place. :applause2:

Reactions: One-Off

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I am absolutely great with clean, alpine lakes with great visibility. However, murky lakes? Not a fan. Also, that thermocline when diving down is brutal. I remember swimming with my daughter in Lake Hume and even though she was a pretty safe swimmer, life jackets on. If something happened and they sank to the bottom, no way in hell you would find them. And that water went from 60 to 40 remarkable fast beyond 5 or 6 feet down.

Used to take my kids here to feed bread to ducks/geese but now, maybe take them to feed ducks/geese to the alligator snapping turtle now residing there?

• Wow
Reactions: One-Off

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
4 Are amoebas in still, warm, water more deadly than leeches?
Source

'Brain-eating' amoebas are a new concern in northern US states, health officials advise
News
By Nicoletta Lanese
published about 19 hours ago
Ohio public health officials raise concern about brain-eating amoeba in northern states.
illustration of the amoeba Naegleria fowleri against a light blue background

This "brain-eating" amoeba has started infecting more people in northern U.S. states in recent years, due to climate change. (Image credit: KATERYNA KON/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY)

Deadly "brain-eating" amoeba infections usually strike people in southern U.S. states, but thanks to climate change, the brain-invading organism has expanded its range northward. In light of this trend, the Ohio Public Health Association recently published a case report to raise awareness of the disease among health care providers in the state.

"Increased incidence of N. fowleri [a species of brain-eating amoeba] in northern climates is but one of many ways climate change threatens human health and merits novel education of health care providers," the case report authors wrote in a paper published May 16 in the Ohio Journal of Public Health.
Naegleria fowleri is a single-cell organism that typically lives in soil and warm fresh water, as well as the occasional water tank, heater or pipe, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In rare instances, the amoeba can infiltrate the human brain and spinal cord by first entering a person's nose — but it cannot reach the brain if swallowed in a gulp of water, for instance, and it doesn't spread between people. N. fowleri causes an infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is nearly always fatal.