DIng repair - dark boards

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I need some help, guys.

Staggered up the rocks the other day completely exhausted, with my new 8'6 DS under my arm, and managed to drop on the rocky gravel carpark. Just fcuken slipped out of my grasp.

No real damage, but lots of little white marks on the black rails. Is there a clever way to fix those mini dings so as to make them less visible?

Cheers

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
LOL on the marker- keep it simple.
Look for something in your boat/auto parts store. There’s should be some
creme that buffs out scratches

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
sand it down or they do make a liquid that is thin that cleans cracks up but forgot what its called. Its super thin and soaks in.

Ding repair guys use it.

dark always shows more

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What about those cheapo “fix a scatch” kits like they’ll sell at the mall kiosks for your watch?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I had a similar derp on my Gazza RTT

I used a Surf Paint marker pen, tapped to get the ink out on the scartch by depressing the tip(instead of colouring with the pen), and then spread the black ink evenly over the scratches with a cloth.

It wasn't a severe scratch though, you can see the scratch I'm referring to here on the left rail if you zoom in;

RTT.jpeg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Scotch green pad soft side with car wax buff in circles by hand rub off with towell.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Thanks, guys.

It's not fixing a normal scratch that I'm talking about. Done tons of snapped boards and general ding repair, so I sort of know my sh!t.

This is a bit like what Waxfoot has on his rail - the glass is shattered over the black spray, so that what would normally be near-invisible stands out like crazy. And there are tons of them (an 8'6 drops heavily).

I'll try an acrylic marker, then normal ding rep on top.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks, guys.

It's not fixing a normal scratch that I'm talking about. Done tons of snapped boards and general ding repair, so I sort of know my sh!t.

This is a bit like what Waxfoot has on his rail - the glass is shattered over the black spray, so that what would normally be near-invisible stands out like crazy. And there are tons of them (an 8'6 drops heavily).

I'll try an acrylic marker, then normal ding rep on top.
So you are going to remove glass first? If so try posca pens they have some nice blacks to match. Allow to dry 24 hours then laminate and hot coat normal.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Well if you "know your sh!t" should be a no brainer. But yea take hot coat down, use pen and re-hotcoat.

Scratches are "white-ish" so show more on a dark background. Got some of that chemical solution from my local and takes away scratches. It evaporates quickly even in a closed bottle. Dont remember the name of it

Reactions: JBerry

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Well if you "know your sh!t" should be a no brainer. But yea take hot coat down, use pen and re-hotcoat.

Scratches are "white-ish" so show more on a dark background. Got some of that chemical solution from my local and takes away scratches. It evaporates quickly even in a closed bottle. Dont remember the name of it
If you find out what it is I'd like to know.

We used to call when the glass cracked under the hotfoot "snackles." Anybody else use that term? They were annoying aesthetically because there was fix. Al to of times the hotfoot was still intact over them.

I don't think the pen will last. Every time you go surf you 'll have to wax up and then touch up.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
If you find out what it is I'd like to know.
then touch up.
Bashams in SC gave me some. I had the same situation where I couldn't get rid of scratches or yes as you put is snackles. This liquid was super thin and soaked into once the area was opened up with some sanding.

Pen will last if hotcoated over it or some rattle can clear coat works but not as good.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
A low-viscosity glue (like brand-name "superglue") will seep into cracks via capillary action and help hide the glaring contrast. Obviously don't try if there is any chance it will travel deep enough to touch EPS foam.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

I did say sort of; never done a black board (or rails) before. And it's not the scratches that I'm worried about, but where the whole laminate has shattered.

Having had a re-think, I'll get some black opaque tint, add a little styrene to the resin to thin it, then hope for it to seep into the ding - after sanding down the hotcoat.

Reactions: grg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I did say sort of; never done a black board (or rails) before. And it's not the scratches that I'm worried about, but where the whole laminate has shattered.

Having had a re-think, I'll get some black opaque tint, add a little styrene to the resin to thin it, then hope for it to seep into the ding - after sanding down the hotcoat.
I have played this game before lucky was clear board but eps CFT and previous owner had a couple small spots with spider web glass. I was not sure and board is back up still h20 and eps not so good so removed damaged glass and re laminated. I have had better luck matching colors with spray paint(one shade lighter) on foam including white then using tint in laminate coat or hot coat.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
ok fvks,
lets do this, I call these 'whiteys'
-I use a little air tool grinder or some rough 60g. gently sand or grind away the cracked or 'whitey' shattered bits. Be careful not to go thru the colored part though!
-get your cut cloth patches ready and your resin mixed up or uv resin if you will.
-next up, you want to take 'styrene' and rub some on the ding with a cloth or even a little throw away brush. Thats the chemical that soaks in and hides or takes away the cracked look. It will help to draw the resin into the cracks a bit.
-next, throw some lam resin and cloth on the ding. let dry and then brush on some sanding resin.
-next, sand down smooth.
-next, if cracks are still showing there, then you can use a posca pen, or wb art paints, or marker or whatever that matches the color, and color that part up.
-next, brush on a fine finish coat of sanding resin, sand out with some fine paper. donezo.

you can wipe on some clear acrylic sealer, veggie oil, or whatever you have to finish it off if you have a bunch of burn thrus.