Did somebody here lose a longboard?

shikaka

OTF status
Mar 10, 2003
The board didn’t fall off an overpass. I was driving on H1 right when it happened. I saw the red board fly off the roof of a white van about 8 cars ahead of me. The van was going about 55mph. When the board got loose, it went airborne and flew over the divider, to the other side of the freeway.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ and sh3

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

”my dad’s got a killer set of tools”

did it fly off the rack, or get washed over the rocks?
That sh!t bums me out. That used to be Canada Dans (not his anymore, but it's got a good pedigree). I wonder what happened?!

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
It's nothing to lose your head over.
mythbusters did that one
If a car with a surfboard on its roof gets into a 40 mph (64 km/h) collision and stops dead, the board will be thrown ahead with enough force to punch through another car’s windshield and kill the driver.
busted

The Build Team set up a full-scale test, towing a car with a board (“board car”) into a parked vehicle (“crash car”) set in front of a crash barricade to stop it dead on impact. A third vehicle (“target car”) was placed 40 ft (12.2 m) behind the crash car. Three attempts to replicate the movie crash failed, with the board pivoting sharply down and/or getting caught in the target car’s wreckage after flying off the roof.

Small-scale tests in the water chamber revealed that the board would not generate enough lift force to keep itself on a level path, leading the team to focus simply on the impact of the board against the windshield. Tory built a rig to launch it straight ahead, using bungee cords to provide the needed force; once it was properly calibrated, the team set a target vehicle directly in front and put Buster (outfitted with a human-analog neck) in the driver’s seat. The board only glanced off at 40 mph (64 km/h), while at 85 mph (137 km/h) it penetrated partway but was stopped by the safety glass in the windshield. Having failed to replicate either the movie crash or its results, the team declared the myth busted.

(This myth is based on a scene in the film Lethal Weapon 2.)

Reactions: PJ

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
mythbusters did that one
If a car with a surfboard on its roof gets into a 40 mph (64 km/h) collision and stops dead, the board will be thrown ahead with enough force to punch through another car’s windshield and kill the driver.
busted

The Build Team set up a full-scale test, towing a car with a board (“board car”) into a parked vehicle (“crash car”) set in front of a crash barricade to stop it dead on impact. A third vehicle (“target car”) was placed 40 ft (12.2 m) behind the crash car. Three attempts to replicate the movie crash failed, with the board pivoting sharply down and/or getting caught in the target car’s wreckage after flying off the roof.

Small-scale tests in the water chamber revealed that the board would not generate enough lift force to keep itself on a level path, leading the team to focus simply on the impact of the board against the windshield. Tory built a rig to launch it straight ahead, using bungee cords to provide the needed force; once it was properly calibrated, the team set a target vehicle directly in front and put Buster (outfitted with a human-analog neck) in the driver’s seat. The board only glanced off at 40 mph (64 km/h), while at 85 mph (137 km/h) it penetrated partway but was stopped by the safety glass in the windshield. Having failed to replicate either the movie crash or its results, the team declared the myth busted.

(This myth is based on a scene in the film Lethal Weapon 2.)
I never saw that one. I recently sold a 60s era longboard that was crazy heavy. I wonder how their test would work with a board like that.