DHD MF Eclipse

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I just saw one of these on Gumtree, basically brand new, for just under $300US equivalent. It was in my size and was near to where I work, so I thought the responsible course of action was to buy it. I figure I can offload it for a similar price if it turns out like a Slater Great White Turd.

Looks quite strange:

With a really strange looking fin cluster and tail shape:

Anyone got one?
Any tips for fins?

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot and Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Doubt it’ll go anything but excellent. It’s a DHD.

Fin cluster a bit like a NPJ Quartet? Fwiw, back in my amateur shaping days I did an HP fish with a cluster like that, and it went like the clappers.

Best of luck, and be sure to report back.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Felt one up at Kirra surf the other day.

super weird board- that tail is whack , outline seems bizarre and the fin cluster seems all wrong.

But yeah, probs go great.

For those reasons, I'm out.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I'm drawn to strange boards for some reason. They occasionally go amazing for me too (eg. HS Merlot).

I'll have a quick paddle tomorrow hopefully and report back.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Ride report: TL;DR - - - the board is a turd.

Surf 1: Waist high windswell
Surf 2: as above
Surf 3: almost DOH, long period
Surf 4: chest to head high, mid period

Mixture of onshore, sideshore and offshore.

The board feels really large and stiff, yet with no drive.
Doesn't feel good at all on rail
As a Thruster, the fin placement is noticeable, for all the wrong reasons. As a quad, forget it. Wildly bizarre.

It's rare for me that I have such a visceral reaction to a board like this. It's going back on Gumtree.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

As a Thruster, the fin placement is noticeable, for all the wrong reasons. As a quad, forget it. Wildly bizarre.

It's rare for me that I have such a visceral reaction to a board like this. It's going back on Gumtree.
Have had that experience only once, with a board I thought would be perfect for me: JS Black Box 3.

Reactions: mundus and Hazrus

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

So you bought it too big and put a tail pad on it similar to this….

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018

See if you can swap it for a Great White twin - should go great in all the conditions you listed

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Sold the board on gumtree today. Didn't lose any $ which I was stoked on - now eyeing off a Panda Shiitake HP nearby...

The revolving door of boards continues.
that was easy! ~AUD$450 is a good price too. I thought that facebook marketplace had largely replaced gumtree, but not so? The facebook second hand marketplace looks the worst I have seen it, prices plunged and some hardly used known model model boars not selling for weeks at prices such as $350. Maybe its particularly bad in Vic. I haven't been able to sell my local custom with "professionally repaired deck crease" for $150 and that price includes FCS carbon reinforced performer fins in perfect condition.

Your conversion to USD doesn't give a representative cost for our N hemi friends because we are not on US salaries - I say we as Australians, individual circumstances vary! We only need to take a look at the "great unbiased wetsuit review thread" to see that N America is on a completely different retail level to ours and that's not taking into consideration we are in a per capita recession. So its more like the equivalent of US $450 up there. Its not all bad here though, we are rich in waves.

Reactions: Sauce and Hazrus

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Most used boards are way overpriced on my local Craigslist or wherever really.
The selling points people justify the price with are proof of alternative realities but yeah that epoxy hypto crypto that's already ten years old probably does have a lot of rides left. Not sure if that one board was actually signed by Donald Takayama, but if it was, maybe you'll get 2K for it. Show the ad to your wife and maybe she'll give you the nod on the CC purchase.
Clearly it is I who have a lot to learn, but I hope my epoxy crutch doesn't have too many more rides in it, it sucks in 30mph offshores too for the umpteenth time :foreheadslap:
(I'm jealous of you guys who live in places with a real used market)

Reactions: Mr J