Design question: Can fins be too far back?

Jul 18, 2018
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I don't know much about shaping and much less about fin placement but I will share that my NPJ "Duozer" feels to me like an upgrade on the CB Bros Bonzer set up (I had one for a bit but didn't love it in most conditions I see around me).
Caveat: I surf beach break that is very much not in Hawaii.
Anywho, I'm loving my 5'10", similar to this guy:
Gets up and going quickly, HOLDS!, and drives through turns better than anything I've ever surfed.
YMMV

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I don't know much about shaping and much less about fin placement but I will share that my NPJ "Duozer" feels to me like an upgrade on the CB Bros Bonzer set up (I had one for a bit but didn't love it in most conditions I see around me).
Caveat: I surf beach break that is very much not in Hawaii.
Anywho, I'm loving my 5'10", similar to this guy:
Gets up and going quickly, HOLDS!, and drives through turns better than anything I've ever surfed.
YMMV
Damn, that's a sexy board. It's not a typical twinzer and not a NPJ widowmaker either. Are the main fins straight upright- no cant, no toe? Funny, I've ordered my wood for the board and it is bay laurel. Since the wood has some olive color in it I was thinking of doing the rails in that same green, instead of my usual black.

Reactions: bvendley

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I don’t believe in one correct spot(s) on the board for the fins. There’s variation from one surfer to the next. Fin placement varies, just like foot placement varies. Wow. I wonder if there’s some kind of a relationship between the two? Maybe weight distribution plays a part? Maybe different surfers would like altogether different fins? :eek:

GG is spinning like a dervish…

Jul 18, 2018
Damn, that's a sexy board. It's not a typical twinzer and not a NPJ widowmaker either. Are the main fins straight upright- no cant, no toe? Funny, I've ordered my wood for the board and it is bay laurel. Since the wood has some olive color in it I was thinking of doing the rails in that same green, instead of my usual black.
Thanks,
Definitely not a typical twinzer setup but I'm digging it. That said, I'm new to twinzers.
I'm out of town at the moment, so would have to measure but I'm pretty sure there is no toe, no cant on the main fins.
Lots of concave leading into the main fins on each side, kind of bonzer like.
The boar definitely prefers a solid wave but works better than my old Russ Short did in surf that isn't overhead.
I'm no great surfer but my favorite thing about this boar is it gets going really quickly, I can't always fit a big bottom turn in at my local and this board has helped fit a pump in under the lip and drive through. Does great in barreling surf. Has helped me make a few waves that I'm pretty sure I would have gotten smashed on with different boards. That plus the few times I've been able to come out clean and stick a big top turn, it carries through with more drive than I've found on other boards.
Again, I'm far from a great surfer but I'd like to think I get my moments.

Edit, I've moved the main fins back a bit since taking this picture

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: surfwhere

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thanks,
Definitely not a typical twinzer setup but I'm digging it. That said, I'm new to twinzers.
I'm out of town at the moment, so would have to measure but I'm pretty sure there is no toe, no cant on the main fins.
Lots of concave leading into the main fins on each side, kind of bonzer like.
The boar definitely prefers a solid wave but works better than my old Russ Short did in surf that isn't overhead.
I'm no great surfer but my favorite thing about this boar is it gets going really quickly, I can't always fit a big bottom turn in at my local and this board has helped fit a pump in under the lip and drive through. Does great in barreling surf. Has helped me make a few waves that I'm pretty sure I would have gotten smashed on with different boards. That plus the few times I've been able to come out clean and stick a big top turn, it carries through with more drive than I've found on other boards.
Again, I'm far from a great surfer but I'd like to think I get my moments.

Edit, I've moved the main fins back a bit since taking this picture
How big is the canard ? It looks so small and far away from the main fin that I question how much it's doing. Have you tried it without? I sa on his website he has some "Duos" with no canards.

Jul 18, 2018
How big is the canard ? It looks so small and far away from the main fin that I question how much it's doing. Have you tried it without? I sa on his website he has some "Duos" with no canards.
I have not. I've only surfed the board about a dozen times so have been working on the main fin placement. Currently, I'm happy with them almost all the way back (prob 90% back in the box and considering going full retard), farther back than I would have guessed.
The canards are small. The board came with the fins so I'd have to measure (happy to do so but I'm out of town until Monday).
Agree on the skepticism, it's a super weird set up.
I had a consignment credit at said shop and walked into a relatively famous pro fondling said board with the proprietor waxing poetic and offering a discount,I fell for it hook-line-sinker. Can't say I would have bought it otherwise but I'm genuinely digging it.
Neal has some instagram posts about the change from strait "duo" to "duozer" but they're buried in the feed. If I recall correctly, he alleged the new set up is more "squirty" and more "playful", that said I've never ridden the old set up. It'd be fun to hear what Neal has to say.
All I know is the board rides different than my twinnies, quads, thrusters, and I'm digging it.
Neal if you're listening, please chime in

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
not to get into this and I won't go beyond this post but I always though it was weird how he would make fins and placements for the board that would make it so you wouldn't have to experiment, yet they were designed to be moved within the boxes at the same time. :socrazy:
fin cluster movement can help in different ways, wave size might be a reason and one he'd give, also what a surfer says may not really be how one surfs, hst, if convo wasn't on point he'd sand fins or maybe suggest a move to save from having to buy more fins, he'd walk you through logic flow for adj optimization after riding, full service