Del Mar Zone Reccos

i_ride_spinnaz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 19, 2020
Review En Fuego next!

also, I heard las olas is not what it used to be since Covid.
Las Olas' food is trash. I guess people go for the view or the margaritas. Tourist trap. Too bad they closed down El Callejon several years ago.

En Fuego is moderately better. If you're in Del Mar it's worth a stop, but it's not like there's many other sit down White-People Mex options in DM.

Cocina Del Rancho in Fairbanks Ranch is another decent white people Mex spot. Get the groupon and it financially makes sense, otherwise it's overpriced. Get the fajita plate but skip the chicken cuz it's always overcooked.

Especial Norte does have very good soup. Gotta agree with that.

Off 56 freeway, Mi Ranchito is actually super solid. Family owned, good seafood.

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com

tenover said:

"gas station tacos".....that's all I'm going to say. North of Del Mar, South of Leucadia, off Highway 5.
Si, Cancun in the cheapest gas station around.

Wife and I were eating lunch there and the kitchen crew from Juanitas pulled up with their family to each lunch, that's some serious cred right there. The Valero on birmingham has a taco joint with great fish tacos, get your car washed while you eat. yeww

Reactions: kidfury and npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
En Fuego sucks. Don't waste your time. Fish 101 is pretty blah (they do have good salads though...). Las Olas used to be a favorite as the food was decent and it was a fun place. Covid and the kids tal=king it over have ruined what was once a great place to grab a cheap meal and a beer while watching the sun set.

Lourdes has good soup and really good beans. La Especial Norte has been making great sopa for decades and always worth a visit. And of course, the various gas station taco shops are pretty good.

If he has time to burn, the Seaside Market (aka the Milf Mart) Plaza is choice yoga pant watching. Get a sandwich at the deli counter or grab a slice and a beer at East Coast Pizza and hang out and enjoy the stream of Lycra. Make sure to wear your sunglasses. The Poseidon in Del Mar has a good bar and deck on the beach. Good place to enjoy a drink and watch the sunset. If they like Thai food, Bangkok Bay on the 101 in Solana Beach is very good.

Tell them to hike the Torrey Pines Reserve trail network then hit the TP Grill at the golf course for a Bloody Mary or beers before heading back to their car.
The Camp Store at Carlsbad State Beach is pretty cool. They have decent food, beers and live music on the weekends. Not a bad way to burn an evening.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Best advice so far on this topic Doubt about Pavel, you may see MacNabb or Hollingsworth though, Burch prolly goes there too.
I also bumped into Gary Hanel and Carl Ecstrom there. Pavel was some years ago now.

Three_Fins_Are_Dangerous and Pinliner can confirm.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
If he has time to burn, the Seaside Market (aka the Milf Mart) Plaza is choice yoga pant watching. Get a sandwich at the deli counter or grab a slice and a beer at East Coast Pizza and hang out and enjoy the stream of Lycra. Make sure to wear your sunglasses. The Poseidon in Del Mar has a good bar and deck on the beach. Good place to enjoy a drink and watch the sunset. If they like Thai food, Bangkok Bay on the 101 in Solana Beach is very good.
LOL @ Milf Mall

Starbucks - Seaside Market - Açai Bowls, the holy Trinity of yoga pants.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and npsp

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
The Brigantine in Del Mar for good drinks, view of the track, oysters and fish tacos. Karina's in Encinitas is only minutes away and very tasty. The Seaside market is a must for sexy milf lurking and the their butcher shop is fantastic. Also, I haven't been yet, but I hear Board and Brew in Del Mar is delicious.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Tower13 - poke and cuban sandwich
Chopsticks on Convoy - Maboramen
RakiRaki across from Chopsticks- ramen
WrenchandRodent in Oceanside - da kine sushi
Frida's tacos in Escondido is next level. Drive on Del Dios highway is beautiful

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
By the direction of this thread your friends are going to have a very busy trip.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Review En Fuego next!

also, I heard las olas is not what it used to be since Covid.
I never hung out in DM much, but I thought En Fuego used to be the cougar bar, or was that the one on the corner of 15th (edit: Jimmy O’s)?

Last edited: