Death by private air charters trip me out

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
So bizarre...

Why do the Rich think they are immune?

How does one write about this?

I just heard a pilot scream in horror as his Lear jet stall coming in for a landing in San Diego. All on board dead. From a news cast.

Why do we have less remose for the 1% ..or is that me?

I have no desire to get in a tin can with a pilot who flys part time .

This is one of my many hangups in life...lack of controls

Question everyone, and everything...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So bizarre...

Why do the Rich think they are immune?

How does one write about this?

I just heard a pilot scream in horror as his Lear jet stall coming in for a landing in San Diego. All on board dead. From a news cast.

Why do we have less remose for the 1% ..or is that me?

I have no desire to get in a tin can with a pilot who flys part time .

This is one of my many hangups in life...lack of controls

Question everyone, and everything...
Having grown up around some pilots and aviation community, I would also never fly with the rich fuck who only occasionally flies as a hobby. The guys I enjoy flying with are 110% pilots, 24/7/365. It's all they do and all they care about in life. They also tend to be the most prepared pilots when sh!t goes wrong. And they know every single part on their planes, every bolt, every nuance, and how to fly it in every situation.

I would also never get on a plane if weather conditions are less than optimal. And I absolutely love flying but seen so many planes go down in sub-optimal conditions, I figure, why not just take that out the equation.

I heard that horrific audio today. Sad.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Ya r32…!!!!!

I was told by a “psychic” that I should never fly in a small plane…as irrational as it may sound, I understand what you say it is so spot on. Pilots need to be ON at all times.

My grandfather was an aeronautical engineer out of MIT and did all the stress tests for the wings on WWII aircraft. My mom was a pilot. OCD is NOT a psychological problem when it comes to safety.

The best pilots are the ones who fly alot, the more you drop in, the better you are.

Flying dreams are my most memorable..and can be the scariest.

Fark Freud, Nietzsche knows flight.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have this dream where the plane takes off and it lurches over sideways then upside down before slamming into the ground and I jerk awake.

It's very vivid.

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
More info here:
This guy is an airline pilot that dissects aviation incidents in his spare time. This particular flight involved a MedJet. However, he also discusses the problem with high performance aircraft and difficult approaches.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I've been flying my old Cessna 182 for around 30 years now in the mountainous terrain of N Cal and the saying 'there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there's no such thing as old, bold pilots' certainly is true in this case. Life is full of choices, whether driving on the freeway or flying a plane. In a plane your bad choices reach out to bite you way quicker, especially in a Lear 35. The stall speed on that jet is around 110mph. I'm actually visiting family in Jamul right now and I drove by that area yesterday to get an idea of what happened. It's quite obvious to me and it just sucks, so sad for the family and friends of the people who died.

Reactions: Mr Doof

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Seen that guys break downs before. He does a great job explaining and breaking down every factor. Every pilot should watch his videos, as well as read every NTSB report on every crash.

Learjet 35A. A fairly old school design but still reliable in capable hands.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Seen that guys break downs before. He does a great job explaining and breaking down every factor. Every pilot should watch his videos, as well as read every NTSB report on every crash.

Learjet 35A. A fairly old school design but still reliable in capable hands.

Agreed...we can learn a lot from other people's mistakes. Unfortunately their mistakes are often tragic. I've learned a lot from my mistakes flying...my plane stalls at about 35mph with the STOL kit on it now though so I definitely have more of a margin for error...

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I would also never get on a plane if weather conditions are less than optimal. And I absolutely love flying but seen so many planes go down in sub-optimal conditions, I figure, why not just take that out the equation.

My daughter is supposed to get into one of those tin cans and fly to Mammoth tomorrow. I do NOT want her to go. She asked me, "why are you being so negative?"

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
My daughter is supposed to get into one of those tin cans and fly to Mammoth tomorrow. I do NOT want her to go. She asked me, "why are you being so negative?"
Just google "Mammoth Yosemite Airport" and show her this article. Crazy how kids don't have the benefit of ample life experience to base their decisions on.

Reactions: npsp and Sharky

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Just google "Mammoth Yosemite Airport" and show her this article. Crazy how kids don't have the benefit of ample life experience to base their decisions on.
With both my kids I get accused of being negative when I urge any kind of caution. I've certainly taken risk in my life, but you take an educated risk. You don't just dumbly charge in the name of having a positive mind set.

I looked at the weather prediction coming out of the airport yesterday. I'm no pilot, but the words "possible windshear" make me nervous.

Glass half empty guy OUT!!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Yuck. I've flown once in a little plane and it felt like an RC toy. My hands were sweating the entire time.
Kinda weird for a producer to let a reporter say this followed by that clip above - "the pilot's last words were recorded just moments before the plane crash"

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Mammoth Airport can be super gnarly, even in the summer time. I flew in there one afternoon and my buddy was waiting for me, then we were headed out to go backpacking. There were whirlwinds out to the east so I knew the wind coming over those 12,000' mountains that are directly to the SW would make it very bumpy. After an 'E' ticket approach I landed and my buddy was amazed--he told me a plane had just attempted to land and couldn't do it and left. Probably went to Bishop which is a lot easier because it's farther away from the mountains. Meanwhile at this very minute Mammoth is reporting calm winds and 'LIFR', 'Low Vis'...and 14°F...

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
More info here:
This guy is an airline pilot that dissects aviation incidents in his spare time. This particular flight involved a MedJet. However, he also discusses the problem with high performance aircraft and difficult approaches.
The one he did on the Kobe crash was amazing. I learned a ton about rotary wing. ImSAR will revolutionize helicopter flight and could've saved this flight.
It's not a good idea. I've flown into Tahoe a couple of times in the winter. Winter flight is sketchy. Mountain winds are sketchy. Then there's the "Gotta get there/Gotta get home" mindset that causes people to attempt landings they shouldn't in conditions they shouldn't attempt them in (see above).

Aside from commercial flight, aircraft are actually not a reliable way to travel.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Last time I flew into Mammoth in my friends 182. When were on the mountain and had walkie talkies. I was going down a run and heard him call out on the radio. We have to get out of here. Storm is coming and winds just picked up at the airport. This was midday so I was bummed but we met at the bottom and drove back to the airport.

Crosswinds were so bad on the runway we were concerned with the plane flipping over before we even got off the ground. We ended up doing a short run takeoff, with max power before letting off the brakes, then climbed in a spiral pattern to gain altitude as quick as possible. The moment we left the ground, the plane slipped sideways. It was a crazy take off and he admitted later he was whiteknuckled.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
More info here:
I don't understand why the pilot wanted 27R when he could've just taken the instrument approach straight in on 17L. It sounds like he wasn't that confident in a night instrument landing.

Reactions: GromsDad

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Last time I flew into Mammoth in my friends 182. When were on the mountain and had walkie talkies. I was going down a run and heard him call out on the radio. We have to get out of here. Storm is coming and winds just picked up at the airport. This was midday so I was bummed but we met at the bottom and drove back to the airport.

Crosswinds were so bad on the runway we were concerned with the plane flipping over before we even got off the ground. We ended up doing a short run takeoff, with max power before letting off the brakes, then climbed in a spiral pattern to gain altitude as quick as possible. The moment we left the ground, the plane slipped sideways. It was a crazy take off and he admitted later he was whiteknuckled.
I'd have been crapping myself. I've flown into Tahoe in the summertime and been sketched. The weather is so volatile in the mountains. The changes happen really fast it seems like. Winter I used to fly into Reno if the weather was sketchy. Rent a car and drive up through Truckee. Right now I don't think you can even make it up that way via 4X4

Reactions: Mr Doof and r32

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I don't understand why the pilot wanted 27R when he could've just taken the instrument approach straight in on 17L. It sounds like he wasn't that confident in a night instrument landing.
I think because he wanted all 5,342' of 27R. But I agree that he never should have gone visual at night and in what was marginal visibility anyway. And there's a little hill just to the north of the approach that he was turning away from.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

I'll take "Fuck that" for 1000, Alex