Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't see how a carbon fiber surfboard would get to a temperate level so high that the fibers would expand and contract. From what I was able to research thermal expansion is large for gases but negligible for solids. So if the gases in the EPS core are what heat up and cause a delam, I would presume it would be the same as a fiberglass board, right? For example: If you painted a fiberglass board black (if a delam occurs) it should delam at the same rate a carbon fiber surfboard would, when exposed to sunlight, correct?

Or does the carbon fiber trap in the gas? How does the carbon fiber come into play?

Just trying to understand... :shaka:
It's the expansion and contraction of the carbon fibers due to temperature, and carbon is a significantly better conductor than fiberglass.

Better conduction = more expansion and contraction = bonding will weaken

Then combine with the issues inherent to EPS.

Bottom line it's gotta be taken care of. So that bite to eat after a surf or that errand you need to run might will need to wait.

Surfers as a whole don't take care of their sh!t.

Basically owning a carbon board is kinda like owning a nice Japanese wetsuit but more expensive...If you're gonna treat it right, go for it and reap the personal rewards. If you're gonna do whatever, best sticking with the typical products.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
My daughter didn't like the camo either. ha.

Maybe a black Veia or Slater Designs :unsure:
Veia flat pad FTW!
Plus they have an understated camo one if you’re into that
(Sorry not sorry for the gratuitous quiver shot)
Also, nice work on the paint Refo :shaka:
IMG_3196.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Whats the consensus on Pro Lite?

I had a microdot pad on my Revo that I sold and really liked that one.

Reactions: sizzld1

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Prob not in Oregon, but 80+ in the sun will get a white board piping hot too.

Factor in epoxy/eps and carbon itself it really needs kid gloves when it comes to temp.
Incorrect.

I had my full carbon paddleboards painted white, top and bottom. EPS and epoxy. Never once had an issue. Not in Hawaii during the dead of summer sitting in parking lot. Had a yellow one, a white one, and a light blue one. Never a single issue through multiple years.

Before those, I had an EPS/epoxy board with no paint on the bottom & light blue on top. The top would be fine, but the magic side with the black unpainted carbon would heat up SO fast and be burning to the touch quickly. Had a delam and after that ensured all race boards were painted top and bottom.

Real world experience. Not anecdotal.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Spray job looks good from here.

I love me some camo sh1t but I'm not feeling it in this case.

Astrodeck Nathan black and red would be my vote. Or Futures Jordy if you aren't confident enough to pull off the red flair.
1000% correct. Black Nathan pad is the best f'ing pad out there.

Edit: @ReForest - I had this pad on a CyberSim. Freaking loved it and it looks pretty cool. Just a thought:

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@sh3 I was actually going to buy that pad.

I thought about doing a throw back to Tomo's OG Carbon Fiber Vader paint job from 2011, and I think he had that same pad on it?

1712942012464.png

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: sh3 and MathDebater

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Whats the consensus on Pro Lite?

I had a microdot pad on my Revo that I sold and really liked that one.
ReFo….just do/get whatever YOU like! Who cares what others think. After all, we’re just a bunch of kooks that think we surf better than we actually do. So do whatever keeps YOU stocked on your equipment.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Incorrect.

I had my full carbon paddleboards painted white, top and bottom. EPS and epoxy. Never once had an issue. Not in Hawaii during the dead of summer sitting in parking lot. Had a yellow one, a white one, and a light blue one. Never a single issue through multiple years.

Before those, I had an EPS/epoxy board with no paint on the bottom & light blue on top. The top would be fine, but the magic side with the black unpainted carbon would heat up SO fast and be burning to the touch quickly. Had a delam and after that ensured all race boards were painted top and bottom.

Real world experience. Not anecdotal.
I don't know the details of your carbon fiber paddleboards.

But the bottom line is heat is not the friend of any cloth and resin surfboard and white surfboards get blazing hot too.

All I can tell you is what I have been told from the people making the products, repairing the products, personal, and anecdotal experience.

That includes someone who has been in the business many many decades who makes vacuum bagged carbon fiber paddleboards.

"There isn't a surfboard out there made to take on heat and fair well. Our boards are no different. Keep it in a day-bag, in the shade, and you'll have no problem." - Tony @ DarkArts.

Or you can paint it white and leave it laying in the hot sun. I'm sure it will be just fine...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
ReFo….just do/get whatever YOU like! Who cares what others think. After all, we’re just a bunch of kooks that think we surf better than we actually do. Do whatever keeps YOU stocked on your equipment.
I know, I know... I will.

But I like to hear other people opinions. Most people dont geek out on this kinda stuff. I thought this was a "safe place" ?

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I don't see how a carbon fiber surfboard would get to a temperate level so high that the fibers would expand and contract. From what I was able to research thermal expansion is large for gases but negligible for solids. So if the gases in the EPS core are what heat up and cause a delam, I would presume it would be the same as a fiberglass board, right? For example: If you painted a fiberglass board black (if a delam occurs) it should delam at the same rate a carbon fiber surfboard would, when exposed to sunlight, correct?

Or does the carbon fiber trap in the gas? How does the carbon fiber come into play?

Just trying to understand... :shaka:
I think casa did a good job of some of the basic concepts.

in most dissimilar materials they expand and contract, albeit at different rates but in the same direction.

carbon has a negative coefficient and therefore when the core shrinks, the shell expands, and vice versa. Yes, compared to gas these numbers are small but it doesn’t take much of a gap to have a problem. Take a look at carbon interfacing with other materials in bikes, race cars and race boats and you typically find flexible bonding materials to make up for this, even at very minimal temperature swings.

once the epoxy gets so hot it no longer adheres and rapid cooling of the board will cause everything inside to shrink and the outside to expand, makes you wonder if delaminating happens going from a hot car to a cold ocean, for example.