Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Better in imperfect conditions than the regular dark arts? I might have to try one eventually. My current board is just a regular PU blank with epoxy resin
I haven’t really had issues with regular dark arts in imperfect conditions. The PU is just less twitchy feeling.

I’d really have to have two of the same boards in both constructions for a fair comparison.

The regular DAs are just so damn light.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Im curious about all of them. Im hesitant on the regular dark arts cause the wind on maui is hectic. I cant even remember the last glassy day we had. This winter any time the surf has been over waist high has been stormy and windy

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Varial cabrón is best build I’ve surfed. Wish I had 5 of those. Feels better to me than DA (EPS)- less “on top of the water”. Less deck dents than regular Varial build, but more than DA. I guess I don’t have that Duff kung-fu grip thumb strength either.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I’ve shared this before, but this is what I had at one time. I’m so over the EPS kick now, that they’re all gone. Not surprisingly, Makoman was my biggest buyer. There’s still nothing that surfs better than a lightly glassed poly/PU(I’m now doing red density w all 4oz). Varial carbon feels significantly better, meaning closer to a traditional poly/PU than standard EPS DAs
IMG_0822.jpegIMG_0823.jpeg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Varial cabrón is best build I’ve surfed. Wish I had 5 of those. Feels better to me than DA (EPS)- less “on top of the water”. Less deck dents than regular Varial build, but more than DA. I guess I don’t have that Duff kung-fu grip thumb strength either.
You mean the Tyson grip? Remeber, Duffy does not partake in kung fu or Bruce Lee antics.

Reactions: sh3

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I’ve shared this before, but this is what I had at one time. I’m so over the EPS kick now, that they’re all gone. Not surprisingly, Makoman was my biggest buyer. There’s still nothing that surfs better than a lightly glassed poly/PU(I’m now doing red density w all 4oz). Varial carbon feels significantly better, meaning closer to a traditional poly/PU than standard EPS DAs
View attachment 174571View attachment 174572
sometimes you gotta just whip your dong out and put in on the table

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Bassy got a hold of Justin. Gonna give it a listen on the drive home. :shaka:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
View attachment 174571View attachment 174572
How does the black handle the sun of Summer? I realize all your boards have color on top, but how is your experience with the Dark Arts boards in warmer temps - wax, delam, board bag care, etc? My mind is thinking of summer sessions on the Vader V2 and just wondering what to expect as far as long term care goes. Thanks. :shaka:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How does the black handle the sun of Summer? I realize all your boards have color on top, but how is your experience with the Dark Arts boards in warmer temps - wax, delam, board bag care, etc? My mind is thinking of summer sessions on the Vader V2 and just wondering what to expect as far as long term care goes. Thanks. :shaka:
You can only surf in the dark.

• Haha
Reactions: JDJ

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I had a colorless quiver from Manny back when Justin was just starting out and laminating from his Jamul residence.
IMG_2712.jpeg
Had no delam issues. Just gotta be wary of the sun, but all good as long as they stay in a bag in the shade as much as possible. Wax does get soft and can even start dripping down the rail really quick if not in the shade. Best not to have a long post sesh conversation in the lot about which wave you hope your Solo Shot captured while the board bakes on the asphalt.;)

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I had a colorless quiver from Manny back when Justin was just starting out and laminating from his Jamul residence.
View attachment 175581
Had no delam issues. Just gotta be wary of the sun, but all good as long as they stay in a bag in the shade as much as possible. Wax does get soft and can even start dripping down the rail really quick if not in the shade. Best not to have a long post sesh conversation in the lot about which wave you hope your Solo Shot captured while the board bakes on the asphalt.;)
Thanks.

Post sesh convos shouldnt be an issue. The soloshot never misses a wave! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and waxurDyl

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
View attachment 175581
Does having paint on the top help? I like the black but thinking about painting the top.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Does having paint on the top help? I like the black but thinking about painting the top.
Yep….Absolutely would help. This is my quiver of poly/carbon/epoxy boards from local SoBay shaper/shredder Andy Prunuar(Proper Surf & Foil boards) - I sprayed them with water based from Montana Colors(what surfboard lam shops use when not airbrushing)
IMG_6644.jpegIMG_6645.jpegIMG_6680.jpeg

Last edited: