DARKHOLLOW

Not the worst movie I've ever seen. Completely self-indulgent, it has most of the redeeming qualities of other very current surf production: it's neither campy or unintentionally ominous. This film is the very tedious and entitled but the marketing is inclusive and beautiful.

"All you have to do is email Dion@globebrand.com and ask for a link and password and you will be granted early access to view AND download the Dark Hollow film before it goes live to the public on June 4th.

"Please turn it up. Watch it on a nice screen. Wear some headphones. Watch it with friends. Whatever you do please make it as loud as you can. Hope you like it." — Dion

I downloaded it solely for my own prurient curiosity about the infamous Dion Agius and his surfing prowess, I got what I deserved. The slow motion and telegraphed transitions were excruciating. Dions sensitive, attitude and his art would be better served in individual shorts or..?

It seems as if the entire purpose of this movie was to show that Dion Agius has enough budget to display his talents on a surfboard and or that he fooled GLOBE to fund his reel to seek work in high brow advertising snobbery? I thought "DARKHOLLOW" was above average and entertaining background noise to well anything. The pace of the film left time for disappointment, critique, dishes. See this movie only if you want to subject yourself to second-unit photography, smash-cut slow motion art film-making that includes surfing. A far cry from the Dark Hollow that "hopes to help draw attention to, and raise money for, various environmental issues that not only affect Tasmania, but the world at large."

*update
my feelings are the same
but
like a new album
its taken new meaning after more viewings
starting to see the choices
looking forward to transitions
more backhand

#summerbeanie
#suckitscottbass

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern_Shores

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
He still at it, eh?
Apparently, and I don't see how.

He's just been getting worse over the past 7 or so years.

Around the Modern Collective time his surfing was great. Good tuberider too.

Every single wave he's shown since forever seems to be an awful cutback or air reverse.

Not to mention a bunch of unwatchable slo-mo.

Why the f#ck is Globe still paying him?

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Apparently, and I don't see how.

He's just been getting worse over the past 7 or so years.

Around the Modern Collective time his surfing was great. Good tuberider too.

Every single wave he's shown since forever seems to be an awful cutback or air reverse.

Not to mention a bunch of unwatchable slo-mo.

Why the f#ck is Globe still paying him?
Always wondered how he's managed to get by on his creative work and surfing. Seems like he's been propped up for a long time now, but he always seems to have a capsule collection for Globe. Apart from the cruiser skateboards, which are actually decent for the price, I never see Globe stuff here on the East Coast and don't recall seeing any of their stuff on the West Coast either.

He is a little over the top and easy to poke fun at, but I enjoy seeing a few (emphasis on a few) waves from him peppered into a clip. I liked Nti Sheeto and some of his clips from Strange Rumblings. Those are both 7-8 years old though. That part he had in one of the Kai Neville movies (Cluster, I think?), with the death metal, repetitive air reverses and flame sleeved wetsuits was awful though.