Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Our oldest granddaughter is in her Junior year at Mizzou. The first year’s tuition was ‘difficult’ for the family. But, if the out of state student gets a part-time job band a Missouri driver’s license the first year, the student‘s out of state tuition is waived for the remaining student years!

My daughter who had to attend UCR before being able to transfer to UCI was an honor student in the ‘highest rated’ school district at the time (Poway Unified School District), did the verifiable public volunteering during her 4 years in high school and held several student body slots, etc. What I wrote earlier was not “bs” it was a fact at the time (in the 1990s).

Our son’s grades were good but not stellar. He wasn’t able to get into UCSD; however, his counselor advised there was a formal ‘Tag’ program that students who completed 2 years in a Sn Diego jr college they would be able to transfer into the UC system. He did his time at Mira Costa and transferred to UCSD and graduated 3 highest in his department at UCSD.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
The community service sh!t is such a joke
Why? I think there should be a service learning component to every high school curriculum and every first year college experience. Data from exit interviews show that students actually love it, it's often their favorite part of their entire educational experience.

Teenagers are generally assholes who only think of themselves. Not their fault, it's brain wiring, but too often they grow to be adult assholes who only think of themselves. Service learning (well planned, well implemented) can help break them out of that. It helps connect young kids to their local community and helps college students the same way, going a long way to breaking the "town/gown" divide that exists in every college town.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Why? I think there should be a service learning component to every high school curriculum and every first year college experience. Data from exit interviews show that students actually love it, it's often their favorite part of their entire educational experience.

Teenagers are generally assholes who only think of themselves. Not their fault, it's brain wiring, but too often they grow to be adult assholes who only think of themselves. Service learning (well planned, well implemented) can help break them out of that. It helps connect young kids to their local community and helps college students the same way, going a long way to breaking the "town/gown" divide that exists in every college town.
Forced volunteering is not voluntary and drives many to feel the opposite of what you’re proposing it does

and how does volunteering during high school in their home town do anything to break the town/gown divide? (I always think of “cutters” in Breaking Away)

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
i agree for the most part. the cc transfer route is a great option but face it. cc's are high school with ashtrays. there is a human at play and depending how they handle the pressures and distractions of high school 2.0 will determine theyre sucess or failure at getting to the next level

likewise being around the other smartest humans of your generation straight out of high school can either make or break your college career.

i like to think that in the college landscape everyone eventually lands where they belong.

Can I give you my honest opinion as a former college professor and someone with a Ph.D. from one of those UC's?

You dodged a bullet. Tell your kid to figure out which UC s/he really wants to attend, and find a feeder community college to get her/his/whatever AA, and make the very easy transfer at that point. SBCC for UCSB is a good example, LACC for UCLA, etc. They do well at the CC and they WILL get in. They will graduate from the UC they always wanted, and no employer or grad school will know the difference or care. You'll save money. They'll actually get to interact with professors who want to teach and give a sh!t about the students. They won't get that their first two years at a UC. They'll get grad TA's. Finally, all of those credits from the CC will transfer. They're designed to. This will also give them a really inexpensive, low risk chance to figure out if they really like the area they are going to call home for the next four years. It will be hard to convince your kid that this is not a "worse" option, that they are failing somehow, yada yada, but that is all bullshit. The UC system is the greatest public university system on planet Earth. There is a line of the smartest humans ever from all over the world who want to study there. And the schools want foreign (gov pays) or rich out of state students paying ridiculously inflated tuitions because the truth of the matter is, state and federal funding for higher ed has plummeted in the past six decades while the education lending leeches have bought our politicians. They're businesses now, and they act like it. The east coast Ivy leagues can afford to subsidize smart poor kids because their endowments are MASSIVE, they are like small countries. UC's can't do that.

I have a good friend who teaches history at UC Merced, it's a fine school, UC quality all the way, but... yeah, it's in Merced.
and sorry ifall community service isnt a joke. my daughter worked 3 afternoons a week for 2 1/2 years at a kitchen preparing packaging and delivering meals specifically designed for individual cancer patients' nutritional needs and restrictions.

The community service sh!t is such a joke

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Sounds like no one sees a connection to this:
last years news. check the application rate increase starting for 2021. it only reinforces what sbd related in terms of uc's pull

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
i agree for the most part. the cc transfer route is a great option but face it. cc's are high school with ashtrays. there is a human at play and depending how they handle the pressures and distractions of high school 2.0 will determine theyre sucess or failure at getting to the next level

likewise being around the other smartest humans of your generation straight out of high school can either make or break your college career.

i like to think that in the college landscape everyone eventually lands where they belong.

and sorry ifall community service isnt a joke. my daughter worked 3 afternoons a week for 2 1/2 years at a kitchen preparing packaging and delivering meals specifically designed for individual cancer patients' nutritional needs and restrictions.
To get in to college. That is a joke

Literally nothing to do with school and it’s forced child slavery tbh

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I wonder if ifallalot means that Lori Loughlin's kids don't do sh!t and get fraudulent paperwork, but the kids with no local government/scene connections have to do the hard yards?

Edit: Okay I suck balls at wondering. And wondering can take it's toll, yeah. And wondering, you can wreck your skull. And wondering can send my imagination up the tree I'm going to set on fire in 20 minutes.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Landscape seems ripe for some new colleges to break through and become big time schools, with demand and qualified applicants so much higher than available spots. Maybe we need five more UCs :shrug:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Forced volunteering is not voluntary and drives many to feel the opposite of what you’re proposing it does

and how does volunteering during high school in their home town do anything to break the town/gown divide? (I always think of “cutters” in Breaking Away)
It's curriculum. It's not voluntary in the same way homework is not voluntary.

I was only referencing town/gown in terms of first year college experience. In high school, it is a great way of instilling some greater sense of social obligation in narcissistic teens.

Reactions: oeste858 and npsp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Haaa, I’m fooked.

4.2 GPA, National Honor Society, Several AP classes and passed all the placement exams for them. Tons of extra charity groups.

UC schools applied - SB, Irvine, LA, Berkeley.

CSU - SLO.

The only option to possibly getting into a UC school is Merced because she is within the top 9% of her class.

Anyone know anything about UC Merced?

My advice for families looking to apply next year. Aim real low.
Your kid is white?

And no more SAT requirement.

Also - “equity”.

Reactions: PRCD

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
My very white kid from Hawaii got in to a couple UC's. What put him over the edge was that he was 1)out of state, 2) he was from a "rural" public high school.

He was valedictorian and captain of the swim team and all this other sh!t too, but we were told the rural high school thing was a big deal. Plus all that out of state tuition money they wanted baby!

He went to UH on a Chancellor's scholarship, all four years paid for and he graduates in December in geography with a GIS certification from ESRI and two years of programming experience (just finishing his last Python class). Got a bunch of good waves along the way too.

My daughter is in nursing school on the mainland. Had to get off the rock, no way she was staying here.

My eighth grader at Kahuku just wants to surf, play basketball, and be a North Shore lifeguard, they have pretty much adopted him as their mascot

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
UC Hollister Ranch
UC Point Dume
UC Palos Verdes
UC South Lake Tahoe
UC Fullers

What do I win?
You win free admission to UC Spooner's Cove.

This thread is frustrating and really reminds how much the college system sucks at certain levels, but is making me want to go back to school :LOL: It was too much to navigate on my own at that age, and so much relies on being set up and guided by parents and mentors. You parents who are trying to figure it out and get your kids through it are awesome.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Boy is going to do JC...probably Mira Costa (heard it was better than Palomar) has no clue what he wants to do, but we caught him giving a friend a tattoo in our garage (it looked real good!)...so maybe he'll go that route...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You win free admission to UC Spooner's Cove.

This thread is frustrating and really reminds how much the college system sucks at certain levels, but is making me want to go back to school :LOL: It was too much to navigate on my own at that age, and so much relies on being set up and guided by parents and mentors. You parents who are trying to figure it out and get your kids through it are awesome.
Yeah I have to give a lot of credit to my parents. All of it really.

My Dad grew up on a foldout couch in a living room in the Bronx. Dropped out when he was 13, made the 41 a 40 on his birth certificate and got a job.

He told me to shutcha fawkin mout n do ya fawking schoolwork and get good marks. He was a soft pussy compared to my mom, who quivered with rage, went chain reaction criticality, and half destroyed my desk when I left an extra credit problem blank in middle school.