Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
If your daughter is on the law school path, and is the high achiever that she seems to be, there are several ways to get to a lucrative position while not spending so much money. One path was taken by my daughter's best friend, who was a very high achiever in high school and got into several elite East Coast institutions. Her Dad had health and resulting employment issues when she graduated HS, so for money reasons she went to San Diego State for undergrad. (Her Dad is doing great now.) Killed it academically and socially there at State, and got into private school USD Law with a nice scholarship. Killed it there, and is now a first year associate at a major law firm with a starting salary of $170k/year at age 25. You don't have to go to the elite institutions to get a great job; you just have to do well where you go.
I have a friend who's daughter went to Hastings and is now in her second year at a large multinational law firm doing really well. I think in most if not all circumstances in life it comes down to the person, their adaptability and work ethic. With my kid...I don't know why but she wants to join the FBI. She was able to finagle week long internship at a local FBI office and came away feeling like it was competitive to join. They told her to learn to speak Chinese or Arabic. She's already fluent in Spanish so she's considering taking one of those 8 week immersion courses in Arabic. Not sure where she thinks she's going to find the time. With regards to Yale...I think when push comes to shove as a DOJ employee and a lawyer an Ivy league law degree is going to matter for her career path. Bureaucracies love fancy degrees.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have a friend who's daughter went to Hastings and is now in her second year at a large multinational law firm doing really well. I think in most if not all circumstances in life it comes down to the person, their adaptability and work ethic. With my kid...I don't know why but she wants to join the FBI. She was able to finagle week long internship at a local FBI office and came away feeling like it was competitive to join. They told her to learn to speak Chinese or Arabic. She's already fluent in Spanish so she's considering taking one of those 8 week immersion courses in Arabic. Not sure where she thinks she's going to find the time. With regards to Yale...I think when push comes to shove as a DOJ employee and a lawyer an Ivy league law degree is going to matter for her career path. Bureaucracies love fancy degrees.
what if she rats you out, dog?

ooof

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
An Ivy League law school degree definitely matters and opens many doors. My only point was that a high achiever can get a great job right out of law school in a desirable location for cheap even if they don't get into/can't afford the Ivies or other tip-top schools. All it takes is good grades and some extracurricular achievement at a decent school.

Reactions: VonMeister

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Are admission boards pushing for accepting POC with less qualified grades? Should I give my son a wildly ethnic name??

I was a B- / C+ student and my wife a A+ student, so it's a coinflip.
If you changed his name to Theotis Cleotis Rodney Allen Rippy Abraham Lincoln Washington I bet he would be a shoe in.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
as a UC grad as well as my brothers, sisters , and parents,i am realizing that "my goal" of having my daughter attend a UC will be hard to attain - she has been living in Indo for over 3 years and is fluent in Bahasa so hoping that "random language skill" for an American will open up some doors for her post- whatever Uni she attends.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
they want to get into aerospace.
Mr. Ghostshaper, if your kids can get into Cal Tech or MIT, and you can afford it, by all means send them there. If not, there are more affordable and quite prestigious other options which are easier get into. I already pumped University of Colorado Boulder earlier in this thread, but this field is what they do.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
as a UC grad as well as my brothers, sisters , and parents,i am realizing that "my goal" of having my daughter attend a UC will be hard to attain - she has been living in Indo for over 3 years and is fluent in Bahasa so hoping that "random language skill" for an American will open up some doors for her post- whatever Uni she attends.
She learned more living in Indo than she would ever get out of 4 years of book-learning at UC Whatever.

But if she wants to do it... go get 'um!!!!

Reactions: afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a student say she wanted to be an executive at a large corperation in charge of a lot people. She wanted a prestigious position so people respected her.

I was like, "Respect is over rated, man."

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Your daughter is the kind of diversity American universities need. Our kids in the US are so spoiled and sheltered...they have no idea how the rest of the world works.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Our son is following my wife's path of junior college then transfer to a university. She was Santa Barbara City College to UCSB. He's Ventura College to Chico State. He doesn't drink or smoke so the party scene is not his thing. However, he's a huge computer nerd and Chico's CIS (Computer Information Systems) is gaining credibility. In May he'll graduate VC with a AA in Social Science and Business Administration. Then transfer to Chico and graduate with a degree in CIS and a minor in Accounting. His goal is to place himself in a solid cyber security position. My cousin is a huge influence in this and now she's doing all the back end, secret ops sh!t for Morgan Stanley. She works from home in her PJ's in Santa Barbara, makes her own hours and is rolling in the green.

My point in all of this is: We never could have afforded to send him to a UC and paying off student loans for the next 10 years of his life didn't sound right. He's got a 3.8 GPA, tons of community service and despite having a bad case of dyslexia, is an excellent writer. These are qualities that easily get him into a CSU but a UC wouldn't even look twice at.

My cousin went to ASU and landed a killer job that she love's, so of course we're supporting and guiding him in this direction. It's something he has a great passion for and we want him to succeed and enjoy his life. UC's and Ivy Leagues have their place, and definitely set the student up for a comfortable life. We're just not part of that community.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Scot Galloway was saying cyber security was the future hot job.

Imagine getting that degree and somebody fries the world's electronics with an EMP.

Haha

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’ll throw in recommendation for working in the trades as well. There’s ALOT of opportunities in various sectors and you can get paid well with excellent opportunities if you pick the right company and trade. And just because you’re in the trades doesn’t mean it’s a life of labor. I’m transitioning to a consulting position and support for a research lab after many years in the field; but I could have done it sooner if I had wanted to or was focused earlier. I know some that have never done the actual field work. I’m not even full time in those positions yet and I already miss my regular production field work.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Skills pay the bills. Find something that interests you and get the knowledge, experience and technical certs that command the beau coup dolares.

You might even end up getting paid to do rad sh!t

Man getting to work aloft really is “rad sh!t”. I do it almost everyday and love it.

id love to be in those guys shoes.