Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Respectfully disagree. I went to Chapman in Orange and freshman year was probably the funnest out of all my years. Naive students doing lots of drugs, drinking and sex. One of my fondest memories is 2nd day of moving in the dorms and this girl approaches me in the cafeteria. Says she doesn't know how to setup her Playstation and if I can help. I didn't own a playstation but I say yeah of course. Go to her room after lunch and setup her playstation. Test it, it works. Turn around and she's butt naked on all fours on the bed. My other fondest memory is walking in on my roommate high on ecstasy, naked and dry humping an also naked Jody Sweetin (Stephanie Tanner from Full House) while Alice DeeJay "Better Off Alone" is blasting. On Halloween, my suite mate had an orgy with a bunch of Japanese exchange students (mostly female, some male) in our shared bathroom. Smelled so rank in there for days. Also a girl came up to my door at 11pm and said "I thought this was the laundry mat?" Then came in and started making out with me, asked me if I was popular in High School and then got naked and into my bed.

This was all in the first 60 days of school. It got crazier.

TLDR: I took a lot of Summer School classes at Golden West so I could save money and graduate in 3.5 years. Golden West is really nice!
Yeah I think it varies depending on where you go. People would religiously hide their Playstation/N64 because it was such a guaranteed c0ckb0ck. Unplugged and in a drawer by Friday afternoon. The thought of a girl owning one....LOL. Kind of like my cousins who all went to tiny New England private schools. Different world.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, Chapman is a small school and she was kinda tomboyish, she only had one game "Cool Boarders 3" and was a snowboarder and dance major.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
She was a fun girl. Wonder whatever happened to her. Heard she transferred to Nevada after soph year and ditched the dance major.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Respectfully disagree. I went to Chapman in Orange and freshman year was probably the funnest out of all my years. Naive students doing lots of drugs, drinking and sex. One of my fondest memories is 2nd day of moving in the dorms and this girl approaches me in the cafeteria. Says she doesn't know how to setup her Playstation and if I can help. I didn't own a playstation but I say yeah of course. Go to her room after lunch and setup her playstation. Test it, it works. Turn around and she's butt naked on all fours on the bed. My other fondest memory is walking in on my roommate high on ecstasy, naked and dry humping an also naked Jody Sweetin (Stephanie Tanner from Full House) while Alice DeeJay "Better Off Alone" is blasting. On Halloween, my suite mate had an orgy with a bunch of Japanese exchange students (mostly female, some male) in our shared bathroom. Smelled so rank in there for days. Also a girl came up to my door at 11pm and said "I thought this was the laundry mat?" Then came in and started making out with me, asked me if I was popular in High School and then got naked and into my bed.

:cursing:

My freshman year in college was not like this at all.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
JCs are good for saving money, but they're missing out on becoming independent and living in the dorms. If you transfer as a junior, you're going to have a vastly different experience, and there's no chance in life to ever get that opportunity again.

My uncle (Cornell and UCSF grad) told me, a measure of good parenting is how independent your kids are.
I always find this train of thought funny. There is nothing learned about being independent when you live in dorms with Mom and Dad paying tuition, meals, and housing.

I always tell people the main goal of college is getting out without debt. So many of my friends needed the college "experience" and are still paying for it to this day.

Get in, get out, and get to work.

Reactions: PPK96754

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
TLDR: I took a lot of Summer School classes at Golden West so I could save money and graduate in 3.5 years. Golden West is really nice!
I was an electrical engineering major, so I didn't recognize most female interest until years after the fact due to my autism.

That said, I married a gal from PLNU and have 3 boys. I figured some things out.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I always find this train of thought funny. There is nothing learned about being independent when you live in dorms with Mom and Dad paying tuition, meals, and housing.
They don't get woken up at such and such time, walk downstairs to breakfast waiting for them. They don't get told to do homework until its done or until its dinner time, which is waiting for them downstairs. They have to motivate to go to the cafeteria, rain or shine, when it's open, or they can be hungry. This happened a shitload. Same thing with going to class.

I think you'd be surprised how many Mainland kids have never done a damn thing themselves. At least the ones in my generation mainly drove themselves to school once they turned 16. Otherwise, that's it. How many kids had gotten drunk once at a Prom party, and nothing else?

There were a shitload of kids whose parents took them to school, in a car, every day, and picked them up from school, in a car, every day, and supervised them or demanded to know the adult who would be supervising them, every minute, of every day, no job, never a moment unsupervised other than driving to/from school for a couple years.

The neighborhood elementary school had basketball courts, and we used to play basketball there after hours. There were middle school classmates who were not allowed to ride a bicycle half a mile to go play basketball with us at a school in broad daylight in the safest, sleepiest old people neighborhood known to mankind.

• Wow
Reactions: PPK96754 and racer1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
reading this thread end to end was depressing and enlightening

it was my son's idea to do CC first, I told him I'd give him anything he wanted on planet earth if he took this tack

lately, he has been ignoring my request to learn spanish....he says he wants to learn french and go to university in Paris, staying with some friends of ours there...he said his grandmother would pay for it

I told him "get that money, son!"
Tuition is stupid cheap in Europe, and a lot of the courses are taught in English. Would be a pretty epic route to go :beer:

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Nearby....my daughter has been taking classes there since her junior year of High School in order to eat up some of the AA requirements in case she didn't get into any schools she liked and was going to go the transfer route. She got in to University of Penn, her second choice after UCLA where she is waitlisted. She needs to commit to Penn before UCLA clears the waitlist in June. She's actually considering bailing on U of P and going to Moorpark because she can transfer after a year due to the credits she already has or is scheduled to have before the next school year starts.

We had to have a hard talk about schools. She applied to a bunch of schools based on zip code...NYU, Fordham, Colombia, St Johns College, St Johns University. I told her it was school, not fantasy camp and that unless it's a once in a lifetime opportunity she's going to a UC (we get free tuition at all California state schools).
Penn is hard to turn down, if you can afford it. Many say that it is a wonderful place to spend four years, and the Ivy League prestige does work down the line, depending upon what field she ends up at. If your daughter got waitlisted at UCLA, she must have gotten into other good UCs. If you get free tuition at the UCs, goddamn go there at the best one she got into. Promise her that you will pay for grad school. I'm just musing here. There are so many considerations right now for top HS students in CA and elsewhere that didn't even exist 4-5 years ago. Good luck, Mr. VonMeister.

Reactions: tacos

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
IMHO being a freshman sucked. Hands down the shittiest year since 7th grade.
First 3 months of freshman year were great. Cal Poly dorms, plenty of pussy, unlimited weed, no parents.

After a while the dorm turned into a prison, no car, no waves, drank a lot, almost flunked out.

Got a car spring break, started driving to go surfing, drinking less. Grades improved, dorm was no longer a prison.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Back in the mid/late 80s I transferred to Penn from UCSD. It was the height of the crack epidemic and West Philadelphia was probably the scariest place I had ever been. On a Saturday night the first week or so I was there, a group of local youth ran across campus cracking people on the head with pipes. Right around the same time someone was randomly stabbed in the heart in the crosswalk outside my dorm, in the middle of the day. In every restroom on campus, there was a red emergency rip cord above every urinal and toilet that you could pull if you got assaulted. Meanwhile, the campus police were on strike. Everyone seemed blase about the violence, they were used to it apparently. One of the reasons I transferred to Penn was for the opportunity to take a graduate Picasso seminar from a renowned art history professor, under whom my favorite professor at UCSD got his phd. The UCSD professor told me he had set everything up with the Penn professor who would be expecting me and just introduce yourself when you get there. Which I did and the Penn professor was like sorry no way you're getting in my seminar lol. My main reason for being there having been quashed combined with the violence and culture shock, I didn't finish the semester and was back at UCSD the next quarter. Luckily I hadn't from UCSD but had just taken the quarter off which you were allowed to do without having to reapply for admission. Anyway just a trip down memory lane! :)

Penn is hard to turn down, if you can afford it. Many say that it is a wonderful place to spend four years, and the Ivy League prestige does work down the line, depending upon what field she ends up at. If your daughter got waitlisted at UCLA, she must have gotten into other good UCs. If you get free tuition at the UCs, goddamn go there at the best one she got into. Promise her that you will pay for grad school. I'm just musing here. There are so many considerations right now for top HS students in CA and elsewhere that didn't even exist 4-5 years ago. Good luck, Mr. VonMeister.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Thats kind of the deal. She has her heart set on Yale law...which even for the best and brightest is a pipe dream. I told her I'm only paying for one so choose your undergrad wisely. Truth be told, I feel Penn is such a unique opportunity she would be crazy to turn it down. I will happily pay for that.....but Fordham, St Johns or NYU..no way..she can get as good or better at any UC...which truly are fantastic schools. California is so unique in that even some of the Cal States and other State schools are really top notch universities. They don't get the credit they deserve.

Buoy_maker

OTF status
Feb 20, 2017
Our son graduated from CSU Monterey Bay in 2015. He chose it because it was close to home (Capitola), although he lived on campus for two years, then rented a house for the third, lived at home the last two while he worked FT. The campus is the old Fort Ord, which is beautiful in parts, on the water at south end of Monterey Bay, but had some freaky areas of boarded up and abandoned barracks. Hopefully those have been demolished by now. The good news is much of the campus is newly constructed, meaning within the last 20 years.

He was a business major and enjoyed small class sizes, between 20-40 students, with no TAs, meaning all his classes were taught by the professors. He was able to establish a relationship with most of his professors, which worked well with him. (Our son is bright but with a processing disorder; he learns best in lectures and discussion (vs reading and comprehending text books.)

Most of the buddies he met and remains friends with were from southern California. Many were there because they couldn't get in elsewhere, or they got a full ride academically (because "lesser" schools want the high achievers, too, and will pay). He did say that most of the females from southern California didn't stay; it was too windy (it is, cold winds whip straight off the ocean and up the Salinas Valley), not hip, and is in Marina/Seaside, not actually in Monterey, which isn't a great location for teens on their own for the first time. Our son enjoyed surfing the coast there (vs Santa Cruz), and took up spear fishing. He had a vehicle his sophomore year on. Disc golf is fabulous, mountain biking is top notch, and the hiking is great.

I volunteered for years at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and they hired a lot of CSUMB students, interns, and graduates. It was a great place to volunteer, and the employees I met seemed really happy. Also, Stanford U's graduate program for Marine Biology is next door to the aquarium, Hopkins Marine Station.

There are a lot of options for students, but for a young freshman wanting a "traditional college experience" in things like football games and rah rah, they won't find it at CSUMB. There is no college town to it.
i graduated from Csumb in 2003, started in 1997. I partied and surfed my way through the first three years, was epic. Second day I was at school there I surfed the little Sur river mouth head high a-frames to the beach with three other students I had met the day before. No idea about tickets or anything. I barely stayed in school, then realized I I could do marine science and technology and have career. Straight a’s and grad school. Fall back was water lab chemist. University is what you make of it. I now work at ucsd/scripps oceanography, I could go on and on.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Thats kind of the deal. She has her heart set on Yale law...which even for the best and brightest is a pipe dream. I told her I'm only paying for one so choose your undergrad wisely. Truth be told, I feel Penn is such a unique opportunity she would be crazy to turn it down. I will happily pay for that.....but Fordham, St Johns or NYU..no way..she can get as good or better at any UC...which truly are fantastic schools. California is so unique in that even some of the Cal States and other State schools are really top notch universities. They don't get the credit they deserve.
If your daughter is on the law school path, and is the high achiever that she seems to be, there are several ways to get to a lucrative position while not spending so much money. One path was taken by my daughter's best friend, who was a very high achiever in high school and got into several elite East Coast institutions. Her Dad had health and resulting employment issues when she graduated HS, so for money reasons she went to San Diego State for undergrad. (Her Dad is doing great now.) Killed it academically and socially there at State, and got into private school USD Law with a nice scholarship. Killed it there, and is now a first year associate at a major law firm with a starting salary of $170k/year at age 25. You don't have to go to the elite institutions to get a great job; you just have to do well where you go.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System

You forgot to log in as the sensual writer

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
great post waxhead.

I have a 12 and 15 year old so this topic is becoming near and dear to my family

excellent grades aren’t enough / for an advantage - really need extra solid “extracurricular” activities - with a track record of commitment that are gonna translate to a high rate of success etc.
my oldest just got into Cal Poly, UC Davis n UCSC n a couple others that I can’t remember. I was Biting my nails worried she wasn’t going to get into any of them.

Junior/feeder colleges are always a good route

Junior/community are also a great route for someone that doesn’t know WTF they wanna do or commit to $$$ college. Some can have amazing, even world class working professionals in a field they are interested in teaching there-Ive known a number of them, where teaching turned out to be something they really loved n doing a bit of teaching at community college was the perfect outlet for that.

it’s a great way to get your feet wet in an area, and also built in networking w local working professionals.

Reactions: ringer