Custom For Kevin

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
These are FCS plugs , angle of the channel makes them the best to use . I can route in the fronts if glassed with epoxy so the epoxy fins bond and use plugs in the rear so I can offer 1/4" adjustment like this board has . No Roving and lay up lump in that most important area for the Win ;-)

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Board is incredible. Paddles and catches waves with ease. Accelerates so rapidly that I need to take off deeper so as to not outrun the barrel. My Channel Island feels dull in comparison. Unfortunately, I tweaked the nose in some thumping barrels today. Question-to repair this, cut out the cracked fiberglass, fill with resin and put cloth on top? It is just cracked on the bottom. I want to do it right because I love the board. Thanks,

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I got out of the water when I noticed the tweaked nose and switched to a 6.6 round tail Channel Island Fred Rubble. I could immediately feel it pushing water and it did not paddle or engage as well as the 6.2. Felt like the entry was over rockered. Works good in the pocket, but does so at an expense of paddle power and drive. I like the board, and think the outline is perfect, but it did not feel like it lifted as quickly on the take-off and the waves were really good. After riding boards with flat bottoms, edged rails, and glass fins I don't think I can go back to what feels to me dull suction cup concave, soft rail, and plastic fin standard issue. I am amazed more shapers aren't making them like this.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I got out of the water when I noticed the tweaked nose and switched to a 6.6 round tail Channel Island Fred Rubble. I could immediately feel it pushing water and it did not paddle or engage as well as the 6.2. Felt like the entry was over rockered. Works good in the pocket, but does so at an expense of paddle power and drive. I like the board, and think the outline is perfect, but it did not feel like it lifted as quickly on the take-off and the waves were really good. After riding boards with flat bottoms, edged rails, and glass fins I don't think I can go back to what feels to me dull suction cup concave, soft rail, and plastic fin standard issue. I am amazed more shapers aren't making them like this.

Sounds like more "hard down-rail bullshit " to me...

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Not to be hating (but I am). I think the guy is wrong. He attributes the change in performance to some board characteristics to sound smart, when it's the less volume of the CI that's working against him. The Griffin is 32-34 (guesstimate) and the CI is 30 (from CI website).

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Not to be hating (but I am). I think the guy is wrong. He attributes the change in performance to some board characteristics to sound smart, when it's the less volume of the CI that's working against him. The Griffin is 32-34 (guesstimate) and the CI is 30 (from CI website).
Kevin is watching
this his reply

My CI board is 6.6 x 19 5/8 x 2 5/8, 35CL