Cryptocurrency: DeFi, Farming, and Staking Megathread

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Farms that pay out big APRs in the same shitcoin as you staked to farm are simply diluting that coin on a massive scale. It should be pretty simple to figure out what the price action on those coins are going to be.
Very diplomatically put.

Anything that isn't a major, functional L1/L2 or a stablecoin.
By this definition, there are A LOT of shitcoins that I'd consider A LOT less shitty than the particular ponzi trash shitcoins that are being discussed heavily in this thread as of late.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
for the guy who a few weeks ago likened TA to astrology maybe you should learn up

buy when RSI high >80 usually not good

buy near top of 60% breakout usually not good

simple indicators like bollinger bands, moving averages and RSI can be used to your advantage

literally just a few lines like basic high school geometry. it's funny how they play out most of the time, price touching this line resting on that line or kissing off the other line back and around it goes.

View attachment 127299
for some reason, i have difficulty retaining the concepts of overbought and oversold. i have to review RSI 101 constantly to keep it straight in my head.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
for some reason, i have difficulty retaining the concepts of overbought and oversold. i have to review RSI 101 constantly to keep it straight in my head.
not sure if serious, bout as simple as is gets. low RSI and touch of bottom bollinger bands is a better time to buy and high RSI and touch of upper bands a good time to take some off the table.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Sure is quiet around here.

We'll have to see what's left after the current fire dies out. Most of the projects/coins listed on the first page of this thread that aren't Luna are still basically the same thing they were then. The runaway value correction is probably a good thing.
Could be some good ponzi riding money to be made on the other side of this. Or maybe that was it, and it's all over now. But I doubt it, even if I think it's kinda stupid, the huge number of people working on defi projects makes me think it likely keeps trying to be a thing.

Maybe we go back to aping into dogcoins like goddamn degenerates?

Reactions: Subway

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
We'll have to see what's left after the current fire dies out. Most of the projects/coins listed on the first page of this thread that aren't Luna are still basically the same thing they were then. The runaway value correction is probably a good thing.
Could be some good ponzi riding money to be made on the other side of this. Or maybe that was it, and it's all over now. But I doubt it, even if I think it's kinda stupid, the huge number of people working on defi projects makes me think it likely keeps trying to be a thing.

Maybe we go back to aping into dogcoins like goddamn degenerates?
There are still DeFi plays out there, but the rewards have largely dried up because of the bear market. Most farms yield in shitcoins plus a percentage of trading fees, so when nobody is trading and the shitcoins are dumping you get low yields. Low yields mean poorer risk-adjusted returns. Combine that with the fact that actual interest rates are rising, meaning you can get higher yields on real world assets, and it's silly to take on crypto smart contract/counterparty risk if you're not getting a premium over what you could get on insured US dollars or low-risk bonds. Regulation is also going to be an interesting question with DeFi going forward.

The bigger overall point is that this is one facet of investing, not the whole thing - put your money where your risk and return preferences are, whether that's inside or outside of crypto.

I bought more SOL last night but don't have anything staked in DeFi farms right now.

Actually, there are probably some really good DeFi plays on stable and plodding along chains nobody pays attention to, like TOMO or Tezos. They don't get enough TVL to really dilute or to bother trying to hack, so they keep along as the forgotten stepchildren of the crypto universe. I just don't have time to really go through them right now.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
The bigger overall point is that this is one facet of investing, not the whole thing - put your money where your risk and return preferences are, whether that's inside or outside of crypto.

I bought more SOL last night but don't have anything staked in DeFi farms right now.

Actually, there are probably some really good DeFi plays on stable and plodding along chains nobody pays attention to, like TOMO or Tezos. They don't get enough TVL to really dilute or to bother trying to hack, so they keep along as the forgotten stepchildren of the crypto universe. I just don't have time to really go through them right now.
this, exactly. crypto is one of multiple arrows in the investment quiver, that's all. for me, the algo keeps plodding along, dragged down with the rest of them, but with more adoption reports and use cases coming out every day, still well worth hodling. and algofi keeps paying out, 26% apr atm. all things considered, have no complaints.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
this, exactly. crypto is one of multiple arrows in the investment quiver, that's all. for me, the algo keeps plodding along, dragged down with the rest of them, but with more adoption reports and use cases coming out every day, still well worth hodling. and algofi keeps paying out, 26% apr atm. all things considered, have no complaints.
:roflmao:

No activity on this thread since June...

Something happen?

:roflmao::socrazy:

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
:roflmao:

No activity on this thread since June...

Something happen?

:roflmao::socrazy:
not at as far as i know. once you where told where the toilet paper is stashed, i figured you've been able to complete your business, without the need for assistance, ever since :shrug:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I doubt we've seen the last of DeFi, and the takedown of a major centralized exchange makes trustless, noncustodial exchanges more attractive as an alternative. It's still going to have to ride out the crypto winter like everything else.

I deposited plenty of money in Anchor and other Terra chain projects, like Mirror. I also pulled it all out before the collapse and came out ahead. That was partially luck and partially paranoia/eternal online presence formed by years of mucking around with crypto; I false-start pulled money a couple other times when I thought Luna and the Terra projects were threatened, and was admittedly lulled into a false sense of security when UST regained the peg the first couple times it was attacked or challenged.

One of the reasons we haven't seen much activity in this thread is because I was the one explaining DeFi projects and I pulled all my money out of DeFi at the beginning of the year and bought a house with it. This is not financial advice and never was; if the coastal SoCal housing market collapses, CasaMugrienta can laugh at me more all he wants. Do your own research.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
luckily i was/am too stupid to figure out the defi stuff

hope no one lost too much

i made out pretty well just trading mostly eth and sol. will probably put most of that money into land but i'm being patient because i think real estate will still go a bit lower

probably will buy back into crypto market at some point but i think there's plenty of time so i'm just reading and waiting

Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
probably will buy back into crypto market at some point but i think there's plenty of time so i'm just reading and waiting
IMHO this. There was a bloodletting after the 2017 everything moonshots as well. Probably wait until it's slowly and steadily climbing, get on the bandwagon, have a couple drinks, then jump off.

Reactions: grapedrink