Cruising For Plus Trees In The PNW........NSR......Might Be Of Interest....

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
whereas this was the sticker on Hump's car :roflmao:
View attachment 171493

j/k but i used to see a lot of that in Idaho. oh yeah, and don't live downwind of a paper mill.

In fact, I worked in the logging industry on the far northwest part of the Queen Charlottes, now called Haida Gwaii, at Eden Lake.

I also worked in the logging industry at Gold River, west side of Vancouver Island central coast, and at Juskatla, back in the Charlottes, then also at Port Renfrew, the most southwest part of Vancouver Island.

I had a hand in clearcutting half the bloody coast of BC it seems., when one looks at the areas involved.

I can recall the disdain for those hippy tree huggers when they showed up in the 60's and 70's.

I learned the hard way what clear-cutting big watersheds does to the fishery values of the watershed being logged.
Drives me nuts that one of the two major self-sustaining natural assets we had here in BC was so severely damaged by the other.

But as normal people living in our society we went to work and logged like mad bastards anyway.

I'm old and have seen enormous changes in our Province and particularly in those two industries, logging and fishing.
We could have done a lot better.

Take care.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
In fact, I worked in the logging industry on the far northwest part of the Queen Charlottes, now called Haida Gwaii, at Eden Lake.

I also worked in the logging industry at Gold River, west side of Vancouver Island central coast, and at Juskatla, back in the Charlottes, then also at Port Renfrew, the most southwest part of Vancouver Island.

I had a hand in clearcutting half the bloody coast of BC it seems., when one looks at the areas involved.

I can recall the disdain for those hippy tree huggers when they showed up in the 60's and 70's.

I learned the hard way what clear-cutting big watersheds does to the fishery values of the watershed being logged.
Drives me nuts that one of the two major self-sustaining natural assets we had here in BC was so severely damaged by the other.

But as normal people living in our society we went to work and logged like mad bastards anyway.

I'm old and have seen enormous changes in our Province and particularly in those two industries, logging and fishing.
We could have done a lot better.

Take care.
I work in the lumber business in So. Cal. for new home tract housing. I sell a lot of lumber and have done so for nearly 40 years.

I feel the same way as you Hump! Hate to be part of the problem but all the lumber we sell is second growth so it's very well managed. No old growth harvest anymore at least not that we see in our industry.

Here's the rub.... If we didn't do it someone else would so don't beat yourself up over it. Someones gotta do it so might as well be you.

Reactions: john4surf and Hump

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Hump's story is interesting.... and I never knew there was a difference between old growth wood and new growth wood, but apparently it's significant. A couple years ago, I called my favorite contractor out to talk about replacing our 30-year-old deck/ stairs cuz it was looking pretty gnarly. And he talked me right out of it - told me new wood wasn't nearly the quality of this 30-year-old wood and I was best off to sand it, stain it, and keep it. And looking around my neighborhood, I have seen many of my neighbors with houses 10 years old or less are already replacing their stairs and deck sections, which tends to confirm what my contractor told me.
When we built our house these trusses and the purlins were from a local small mill that mills wood that comes off of their property. This is old growth doug fir...tight grain, very few knots, unbelievable wood. Full dimension 6x6s. You won't find this at Home Depot...
2013-09-02_15-35-45_149.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When we built our house these trusses and the purlins were from a local small mill that mills wood that comes off of their property. This is old growth doug fir...tight grain, very few knots, unbelievable wood. Full dimension 6x6s. You won't find this at Home Depot...
View attachment 171560
I sure hope you didn't paint that wood.

ps we live in a 1926 bungalow. When we had the building inspection done the inspector said we had no termites because the wood is too old, hard and dry and termites won't eat it. He also pointed out all the original wavy glass and said not to replace it if it wasn't broken.

All the siding is redwood. I've thought about sanding all the paint off and giving it a clear coat to have a shimmering redwood house in the land of stucco. Any volunteers to help strip paint?

Reactions: Hump

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
View attachment 171560
Kiln dried?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Pine tree I saw in eastern Oregon a few years ago.

There is not much old growth left in the state. Thankfully a few patches still exist near my home because we had some really stubborn hippy tree huggers back in the day.
20200726_162630.jpg