cross country glider

girvin

OTF status
Apr 10, 2010
maui
so I remember seeing skip paddling most of sunset cliffs on his glider back when I lived SD. I want to make a crosscountry board for a couple of stretches of reef here on Maui. I am kinda lost on these never ridden one. A buddy has a CC glider I can check out. I am not sure if I want one like that where they are relatively strait outline with the pointy ends or I was thinking of a 10 ft or 9'6 simmons but kinda lost on the rocker and such. Or there was a andreini that was a little more gunny I saw on here and it was the best looking I have seen. All waves will be knee to overhead but mostly soft with a few faster sections. Any advice would be very helpfull. I will be shaping it in my new bay and want to keep it under 10'6 for logistical reasons.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I rode a 10'6" Mitsven with straight lines and a pin with a 2 + 1 setup and it actually turned surprisingly well.

Unfortunately I have no idea how hard they are to shape.

All I can say is finding the sweetspot is un real. That board had me grinning ear to ear. I can't wait to get one some day.

girvin

OTF status
Apr 10, 2010
maui
Thats the other pic! thanks! still wondering if a long simmons would be better than one of these.

girvin

OTF status
Apr 10, 2010
maui
OT the Andreinis where more hulled out that the eagles? is that correct how did you like the narrower outline of that one? I think I will just have to make all three lol. Its all fun and games untill its time to sand them....

girvin

OTF status
Apr 10, 2010
maui
also was it very little tail rocker like his vaqueros. I hope I can meet him next time I am in California seem like a really cool guy

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
i have an 11' mabile double eagle and had a 9'4" mabile fish simmons. i think the fish simmons take on these types of big boards is the better glider of the two designs. fun stuff.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
drad1 said:
OT, which shapers do you recommend for this type of board?
Mabile and Josh Hall.

I suggest 11' being the max for an eagle. It's plenty to contend with.

Have them set it up as a Bonzer. Seriously.

Only take it out in overhead plus waves. Or lined up mex points if smaller. So much fun.

Make sure you have garage rack space :grin:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Lefthander said:
IMO, Mitsvin shapes circles around Hall.
That's a silly statement, of course he does, he's been shaping since the 70's/80's.

I also assume though that Josh makes a heck of a lot more eagle and large Simmons for his clients than Mitsvin does. Josh and Mabile also ride those types of boards, a lot.

beef

OTF status
Sep 25, 2009
Gathering Place
Use the U.S. Blanks 11'3" D. Get some history in all that foam. Golf course up past baseball field and way outside, perfect glider territory. Portuguese Triangle on the right day. Pure Maui.

Luddite

Miki Dora status
May 21, 2010
New Zealand
Visit site
What nonsense there's no relation and I've been developing these designs for over 20 years based on a particular theory which it is obvious that no one else is using, yet.