Creating a concave for a hand plane

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I know it's not what you asked, and there are some beautiful examples of hand planes in this thread, but...

FWIW, I found that a completely flat handplane is often best (for me).

Using them in CA, HI, and Fiji, I've found that in true down the line waves when I have concave in the handplane I tend to push it into the wave, rather than on top of the wave. The flat bottom makes it easier to - literally - plane on the surface of the water. On the other hand, in short dumpy beach breaks, the concave works better for me to quickly fit into the curve of the wave and enjoy the quickness of the wave. So overall, if I had to choose one, I'd go flat.

For the record, I have a Brownfish from Gary (with concave) that I love and is beautiful & a flat plank from Danny Hess that is amazingly functional although not quite as pretty.

EDIT: It's the McDonald's tray idea. It really does work best.

EDIT2: Both were gifts. Not that that matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I know it's not what you asked, and there are some beautiful examples of hand planes in this thread, but...

FWIW, I found that a completely flat handplane is often best (for me).

Using them in CA, HI, and Fiji, I've found that in true down the line waves when I have concave in the handplane I tend to push it into the wave, rather than on top of the wave. The flat bottom makes it easier to - literally - plane on the surface of the water. On the other hand, in short dumpy beach breaks, the concave works better for me to quickly fit into the curve of the wave and enjoy the quickness of the wave. So overall, if I had to choose one, I'd go flat.

For the record, I have a Brownfish from Gary (with concave) that I love and is beautiful & a flat plank from Danny Hess that is amazingly functional although not quite as pretty.

EDIT: It's the McDonald's tray idea. It really does work best.

EDIT2: Both were gifts. Not that that matters.
I ended up buying one that was basically a small kickboard with a velcro strap. It's fun in hollow closeouts when you've brought the kids to the beach and left your board behind. Otherwise, a surf mat might be a better call.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i find my handplanes hold in better on bottomturns with a deep concave, and it does sweet roundhouse cutbacks as well

however for vertical bodysurfing i prefer a flat bottom, it snaps off the top quicker

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: sh3, PRCD and jkb