Costa Rica

Aug 11, 2004
Michigan
I'm planning a trip to costa rica around spring break...does anyone have any good ideas of places to stay? or any tips i should take into account while planning? Good surf spots?
thanks

Sep 3, 2003
I usually go in the summer, but you could score waves in Spring as well. West coast will have more liklihood of waves. I would suggest northwest coast around Tamarindo. Rent a 4 wheel drive as the roads can be flooded. A good side trip is Arenal volcano which is on the way between San Jose and Tamarindo. The volcano erupts every day, really cool. You'll have fun! Good luck.

Lost0rz

Nep status
Jul 2, 2003
??
Summer:
Bigger Waves
Rainy Season(Need 4x4)
Swells best on Central Pacific

Winter:
Dry Season
Smaller waves
Swells best on north pacific

KENIKE

Nep status
Jan 13, 2003
East Coast......Cold Water
JACO
stay at Paradisio del sol $12 night they have 3br roooms with kitchens (Matt owns it from FL) lots to do at night 2 blocks from Jaco beach 10 min drive to HERMOSA heavy beach break(highly recomended) 15 min drive to ESCON sick reef break.
P.S. most of the time you will wear board shorts and bring sneakers to check out the 3 pools water fall(you can jump in all of the pools) Manuel Antonoi park check out the monkeys
LOL
Good Luck

Jun 10, 2004
I just got back from Costa....TODAY!! I've been there for three months. Anyway, if your in College you would love Jaco. It's got a great night life and consistant waves. A couple kilometers down the road is Hermosa. That place has some great waves!! Pavones and Boca Barranca are both AWESOME lefts, BUT they need a good swell; Plus there is nothing to do in Pavones but surf. Tamarindo is cool, but the waves suck. You have to hit Grande in the morning or Langosta. Playa Negra is a great right rock reef about 20 kilometers form Tamarindo. I went in the rainy season (Late Aug to Nov. 20th) and I used a Nissian Sentra! You can do most everything in a car. Nosara and Mal Pais are amazing as well. Good luck