Cork tail pad question

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I am curious if anyone has epoxied (or glued) a bit of cork on a finished board as an ersatz tail pad and further if you did, how well did it work, how long did it last, any problems with it, etc.

Looking for a pro and con list.

PS
So I know at least one company sells a cork tail pad, but rather than pay someone for a superior product, I am thinking of doing just this in part to hide some of the flaws I have with my veneer lay-up (vacuum bag failure related).

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
By the way, if it makes a difference, I was thinking of using 3/16 thick cork. Have about 3 square feet of it. Since my cheapo 3rd-hand, junkstore purchased vacuum pump died, I'd just brush on the epoxy on the cork, lay it down, then put a heavyl filled bag on top of it to make it stay down while it cures.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
well people put wax on cork decks so they wont slip....

obproud

Nep status
Sep 24, 2008
I made one, but haven't used it yet.... just waiting for waves.

it is going to fall apart though. I used 3M super 77 spray glue, and it is not strong enough. I should have used epoxy.

Also, I built up contours in the pad using EVA, and put the cork on top of that. The idea was to create a concave deck section under my back foot.

I expect to have to put wax on it.

Who is selling cork deck pads?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I've tried exposed cork decks and the Wave Tribe pad. The pad is eva foam, just like other pads. Not sure what the cork content is, but it feels and looks just like eva.

I never needed wax on the exposed cork. The edges can get a bit ragged if you don't do anything to them. Drew, who makes all the lost versions, bevels the outer edge and then puts a little of the hotcoat on top of the outer edge. They look really clean.

I've always vac'd the cork on. Some of the resin gets pulled through the pores. A light sanding makes the cork soft and grippy. Maybe some 3m 90 and a roller will work?

May 21, 2006
Actually you don't need wax on cork. I've got 2 of Drew's cork boards and don't feel the need to add any-great for summertime when you can leave a board in the car or on the beach and not worry about wax melting. the cork feels like it will be too slippery when dry, but when you put pressure on the cork standing up in the water it has great traction.

lawless

OTF status
Apr 7, 2009
ILM, NC
Visit site
Try and find some 3M pressure sensitive adhesive. That's what all the trak-pad guys use.

I know some SUP guys who use cork with 3M adhesive as deck pads, they hold up well.

I have a few of Drews cork boards as well as a couple Wavetribe deck pads. Exposed cork doesn't need wax, especially with booties, and the Wavetribe pads hold up really well.

Maybe try and feather the edges of the cork down so that it's less likely to chip off.