cooperfish comet?

css

Jan 8, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Anybody ride one of these? How nice is it? What type of waves do you ride it in? They have a 6'0" on sale right now that is 3" thick...looks nice.

Compared to other single fin shortbords?

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Mine is actually a 7'6", not a 7'0".

And I haven't ever ridden one of the really short comets. But I love my Comet, and have ridden it in everything from knee-high mush to DOH point waves. The DOH was too much for the board, but it's performed well up to a couple of feet overhead. I ride it more like a longboard than a standard shortboard. It's sweet.

Anyway, the major differences that I see between the 6' comet and any other more modern 6' single fin shortboard are:
1)Weight - The Comet will probably come in at between 12 and 16 lbs. my 7'6" weighs about 20. Most modern single fins (even with gloss coat and heavier glassing) are gonna be well under 10lbs.
2)Rails - The Comet has very knifey, thinned out rails with a pretty hard edge. Most of the modern single fins I've seen have pretty forgiving, eggish type rails - like a typical thruster.
3)Fin - You buy a Comet, and you get a glassed-on, heavy 10.5" fin. No moving it around or changing fins for different conditions. It's where Gene thinks it's best, and that's it.

The Comet is just an all together different beast than most of the single fins I've seen around. That's not a good or bad thing, it's just different. All of the above factors make it, in my experience, "easier" to ride a modern single fin. Again, that's not always good. The way that the Comet is built makes your technique, foot placement, weight distribution, and trimming really essential to being able to ride it successfully. You HAVE to think when you ride it. It'll probably make you a better surfer in the long run. Sometimes I space and try to ride it like a thruster - it don't work that way and I wind up on my ass.

If I had the cash right now, I'd go out today and order BOTH a 6'0" Comet AND a 6'0" CI single fin. They are way different boards, and I'd learn a lot from surfing both of them. If you can only buy one, you should educate yourself as much as possible about the differences - they are more different than they are alike.

If you're looking for something that'll be more like riding a standard thruster, buy a regular single fin shortboard. If you're looking for a challenge, and an experience, buy the Comet.

One other thing. The Cooperfishes are definitely among the most well-crafted and well-built surfboards in the world. They are impeccably made. Anyone who appreciates surfboards knows the level of craft put into making one. They are well worth what they cost.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
I probably should've mentioned that the plan shape, bottom contours, tail, glassing, and just about everything else is different on a Comet than it is on a more "modern" single fin.

Other than that, and the things I mentioned before, they're pretty much the same.

Flat and windy again today. Haven't surfed in a week. Tried to punch someone in traffic last night. I need a wave so bad.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by craigj532:
<strong>Tried to punch someone in traffic last night. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol!

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GWS:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by craigj532:
<strong>Tried to punch someone in traffic last night. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I'd been doing so well, too.

Some rich kid nearly hit my girlfriend's car while we were driving downtown. I think he may have actually made contact, but there was no damage. He didn't even slow down, even though we had to come to a screeching halt to avoid him.

She's in tears, and I'm telling her to catch up to him so that I can pull him from the car and beat the **** out of him. Not a good scene.

I spent the rest of the night looking at every car that drove by, hoping that I'd get my chance to have a "talk" with him. She was too shaky to drive home.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Oh, and guess what we were talking about immediately before this all happened?

Whether I'd rather have a 6'0" Cooperfish Comet or a 6'0" CI Single Fin. Really. So, I guess this isn't a total thread hijack.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by craigj532:
<strong>
Whether I'd rather have a 6'0" Cooperfish Comet or a 6'0" CI Single Fin. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What was her take on that decision?

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rice:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by craigj532:
<strong>
Whether I'd rather have a 6'0" Cooperfish Comet or a 6'0" CI Single Fin. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What was her take on that decision?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I spend $600 on a surfboard, no matter what kind it is, four months before we get married and move to Hawaii together, she'll kill me.

I've got her beat, though, I'm selling my 7'6" Comet. Two months old, $500. Anyone interested?

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
<strong>If I spend $600 on a surfboard, no matter what kind it is, four months before we get married and move to Hawaii together, she'll kill me.

I've got her beat, though, I'm selling my 7'6" Comet. Two months old, $500. Anyone interested?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I was thinkin' she was thinkin'.

How is that thing in gutless, waist high beachbreak? Seems like it'd be fun. Don't think funds will allow me to buy it, though.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
It works great in anything from gutless, knee high surf to 2 foot overhead mellow point surf. I'm really torn about selling it. Really, I've always sorta wished that I'd gone shorter with it in the first place. I dunno. The bitch of it is that I feel like I surf really well on the board, and that the experience of spending lots of time on a single fin has really helped my surfing in general.

I just kinda realized over the last week or so, that I'm not really ready to be a longboarder yet. And while it's not really a longboard, it sorta feels mostly like one. It's a great board, I just wish that, for me, it was about 18 inches shorter.

If I could afford to experiment with something new and still keep the 7'6", I would. But I can't, and for some reason I really want to try something else, just for kicks.

[ February 09, 2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: craigj532 ]

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I think I'd agree. If I were to get one of those, I think I'd go with 6'4" or under. I've been torn on whether to get a longboard or not, for those small, summer days. But, I've decided to get an old-school Frye/Lis style fish. I think that a fish could surf almost as small of waves as an LB and probably be alot more fun. I hope to order one from either Rich Pavel or Gary Hanel in the next month or two.

Rode a friends old Joey Thomas 6'2" single fin yesterday, as well as his 6'0 twin fin. They both take a while to get used to and not look like a kook on, but the speed on both of them is incredible. I would love to get one of those CI singles. Maybe next year.