Consistently blowing out twin fin boxes

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
That seems so logical!
edit: @griffinsurfboard
Just a crazy thought: if fusion boxes are stronger than traditional glass-ons, could you actually glass over them for an extreme case like OP? Like an extra secure "belt + suspenders" approach?

@csarqui just curious was the twinsman futures boxes and what upright fin were you riding? Have you found this to happen with keels more than upright twins?
G-10 is Epoxy so the board needs to be glassed with epoxy to bond

The term "Fold Over" was created a long time ago to describe the OP's problem

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
That seems so logical!
edit: @griffinsurfboard
Just a crazy thought: if fusion boxes are stronger than traditional glass-ons, could you actually glass over them for an extreme case like OP? Like an extra secure "belt + suspenders" approach?

@csarqui just curious was the twinsman futures boxes and what upright fin were you riding? Have you found this to happen with keels more than upright twins?
Futures fin boxes and Tyler Warren uprights.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I was talking to somebody on the beach today and he said that he saw/read that MOT and Torren Martyn are using a small length of stringer just under the fin boxes on his twins. Any thoughts about this being more effective?

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I was talking to somebody on the beach today and he said that he saw/read that MOT and Torren Martyn are using a small length of stringer just under the fin boxes on his twins. Any thoughts about this being more effective?
Idk...man
All that extra weight back there...

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i'd go glass ons
or u can do high density foam biscuits

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Band aid for fins way behind the box increasing torque on them

Fusions , fins drop staight down into the box enabling the centering of the fin and its energy - dang guys wake up
Small-tabbed fins that snap (speaking standard materials, not G10). Still not the optimal solution. Less hassle to replace than a box (unless the replacement fin is not available, then you are equally screwed), but still about the same price.

BUUUUUT since the OP was addressing blowing out fin plugs (not losing fins) you are technically correct.
I'm just searching for an outright solution.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Small-tabbed fins that snap (speaking standard materials, not G10). Still not the optimal solution. Less hassle to replace than a box (unless the replacement fin is not available, then you are equally screwed), but still about the same price.

BUUUUUT since the OP was addressing blowing out fin plugs (not losing fins) you are technically correct.
I'm just searching for an outright solution.
I'm not incorrect , no failures with properly installed boxes and custom fins for them

You can dodge that all you want

Any board builder can do the same for their customer

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I'm not incorrect , no failures with properly installed boxes and custom fins for them

You can dodge that all you want

Any board builder can do the same for their customer
Don't understand the condescending tone. Not trying to dodge anything. I'm just exploring principles and options.

I was getting excited about ordering a Fusions-equipped board and asking you to make a custom set of G10 fins for it.

Now I'm not so sure about that.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
i cant recall blowing out a fusion box or snapping tabs of a solid glass fin.

surfinz, futures, fcs plugs are a different story.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Seems like Fusion plugs are the answer. 1 small negative would be less fin options. But I think that pursuing custom fins isnt so bad.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Chris Sarquilla

5h ·

Hi all. I’ve got this Christenson Nautilus twin fin and I’m dealing with ongoing fin box cracking. This eventually leads to full on blow out. I’ve had to get the boxes professionally fixed 3 times. Has anybody dealt with this and any ideas how to resolve it?

This was posted on the Twinny's Facebook page

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Chris Sarquilla

5h ·

Hi all. I’ve got this Christenson Nautilus twin fin and I’m dealing with ongoing fin box cracking. This eventually leads to full on blow out. I’ve had to get the boxes professionally fixed 3 times. Has anybody dealt with this and any ideas how to resolve it?

This was posted on the Twinny's Facebook page
Yeah, I posted there weeks ago but it didn't seem to get approval, so I posted here. Apparently they just approved it.