Cobra Killer

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
This whole debate could be settled easily enough.

Most shaping software will allow you to look at your rail rocker versus stringer.

Take one board and make the bottom flat to whatever rocker you want. Then, draw up the exact same board, and use the flat bottom board as your ghost. Add a single concave to your center slice to match your ghost board’s rail line rocker. Cut both boards, set fins exactly the same. Give to someone without letting them look at the board before paddling out and see what happens.

If you let someone know, or even look at the boards, they’re psychologically invested in whatever bottom they believe in. Only way is to give it to them in the water.

I’d be interested in the results

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
This whole debate could be settled easily enough.

Most shaping software will allow you to look at your rail rocker versus stringer.

Take one board and make the bottom flat to whatever rocker you want. Then, draw up the exact same board, and use the flat bottom board as your ghost. Add a single concave to your center slice to match your ghost board’s rail line rocker. Cut both boards, set fins exactly the same. Give to someone without letting them look at the board before paddling out and see what happens.

If you let someone know, or even look at the boards, they’re psychologically invested in whatever bottom they believe in. Only way is to give it to them in the water.

I’d be interested in the results
Are you still building boards? If not, then that would be a shame.

Reactions: twinzerfan

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
You are not seeing the fall off of the tail rocker. You are only looking at the concave in a vacuum.

The lowest point on the board in the picture is point of the swallow tail. That’s where the water go to from center...

Did you look at the Cole video? It couldn’t be more obvious.

No wonder you don‘t do concaves.

Angled Views

You can see the concave turning inward at the fin area

Concave following the template

I doubt your boards will do what Maurice is showing , please post pics !

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Resurrecting this one, looks like it got dragged into a pissing match tangent.

So... anyone actually ridden one of these Cobra Killers or SOC's own round twin??
Saw one out in the water yesterday and it looked great. After seeing it in action, it's on my wish list, with a bullet. I'd probably order from Paul, just so I don't have to look at any Mayhem logos even if it's uncharacteristically restrained for a lost. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA

So... anyone actually ridden one of these Cobra Killers or SOC's own round twin??
Saw one out in the water yesterday and it looked great. After seeing it in action, it's on my wish list, with a bullet. I'd probably order from Paul, just so I don't have to look at any Mayhem logos even if it's uncharacteristically restraining for a lost. LOL
agree 100% on the logo comment

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Local pro got one with a trailer box, which I thought was a no no with this model

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011

Saw one out in the water yesterday and it looked great. After seeing it in action, it's on my wish list, with a bullet. I'd probably order from Paul, just so I don't have to look at any Mayhem logos even if it's uncharacteristically restraining for a lost. LOL
Not the same, but a similar variation. I've been on one of these: https://misfitshapes.com/catalog/product/view/id/282/s/beach-burn/category/8/
DE01D446-8CAE-4CBB-B1F5-FB8C0830BA88_1_105_c.jpeg

I only ride it as a twin. I've used NPJ fins, Alkali Ellis twins and the s-wings above - they all work and add a different layer to how the board rides. It is one of the most versatile boards i've ever ridden. From knee-high to overhead, it works in everything. I really enjoy these egg style boards with the wider nose and rounded tail. I'm not really a lost fan - but i like the look of that board.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Stab did a board review in the latest electric acid board test (or whatever it is called?) with Noa Dean. Didn't look that great to me and I was very curious about it. Kind of put me off it. That Bullet model from Stacey looks pretty nice.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Stab did a board review in the latest electric acid board test (or whatever it is called?) with Noa Dean. Didn't look that great to me and I was very curious about it. Kind of put me off it. That Bullet model from Stacey looks pretty nice.
Yeah, was it a cobra killer where Matt insisted Noa put a trailer in it? Noa didn't at first and struggled a bit with it......then he added the trailer and liked it better.

Reactions: ciscojaws

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
oh interesting. I'll have to check out that video.
so I guess this isn't accurate: "Due to the relatively pulled in, rounded pin, being paired with the deep concave behind the fins, the COBRA KILLER needs no trailer fin, and is built exclusively as a Twin."
That's kinda disappointing. I thought maybe Paul's bottom concaves might be some secret sauce for a twin. Regardless, the guy I saw was ripping on it.