Climate Clock Running Out Of Time.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I had ice in the backyard birdbath yesterday morning. Happens every couple of years for one or two days.

Anyway, there is more than one climate model (just like there is more than one hurricane tracking model, weather forecast model, etc) and they get updated or new ones get built.

Be nice to have a perfect one from the git go, but sadly, us humans ain't always good enough on the first try.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I had ice in the backyard birdbath yesterday morning. Happens every couple of years for one or two days.

Anyway, there is more than one climate model (just like there is more than one hurricane tracking model, weather forecast model, etc) and they get updated or new ones get built.

Be nice to have a perfect one from the git go, but sadly, us humans ain't always good enough on the first try.
Climate models are just guesses and the climate cultists cherry pick whichever ones fit their bias.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Climate models are just guesses and the climate cultists cherry pick whichever ones fit their bias.
Like weather forecasts, climate models are only as good as the ideas/data/coding that go into them.

Heck, wave/swell models are derived from weather forecast, and, well, they seem to have gotten better in my lifetime.

Climate models would have to be much more complicated, and to me, would seem to be specifically less accurate.

World should still be warming as we continue on our trend out of the continental glacial period colloquially known as The Ice Age...won't be fully out till there is no longer ice at the poles.

Anyway, sometimes the sum of the change isn't the biggest problem, it is the rate of the change, and at present, available data appears to show the rate is speeding up (towards warmer).

Much more here (click me).

Teaser:

Another land movement likely plunged the planet into its most recent ice age. The Isthmus of Panama, the land bridge between North and South America, formed about 4.5 million years ago. Prior to its formation, the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans freely exchanged tropical waters. By cutting off that exchange and sending warm, salty ocean water northward, the isthmus increased precipitation at high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere. Snow accumulated into glaciers and eventually into ice sheets. These massive, sunlight-deflecting ice bodies continued the planet’s cooling trend.

The latest ice age peaked about 20,000 years ago, when global temperatures were likely about 10°F (5°C) colder than today. At the Pleistocene Ice Age’s peak, massive ice sheets stretched over North America and Eurasia. We can thank these ice sheets and their associated melt events for the Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, and even the Channeled Scablands in Washington and Oregon.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Like weather forecasts, climate models are only as good as the ideas/data/coding that go into them.

Heck, wave/swell models are derived from weather forecast, and, well, they seem to have gotten better in my lifetime.

Climate models would have to be much more complicated, and to me, would seem to be specifically less accurate.

World should still be warming as we continue on our trend out of the continental glacial period colloquially known as The Ice Age...won't be fully out till there is no longer ice at the poles.

Anyway, sometimes the sum of the change isn't the biggest problem, it is the rate of the change, and at present, available data appears to show the rate is speeding up (towards warmer).

Much more here (click me).

Teaser:

Another land movement likely plunged the planet into its most recent ice age. The Isthmus of Panama, the land bridge between North and South America, formed about 4.5 million years ago. Prior to its formation, the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans freely exchanged tropical waters. By cutting off that exchange and sending warm, salty ocean water northward, the isthmus increased precipitation at high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere. Snow accumulated into glaciers and eventually into ice sheets. These massive, sunlight-deflecting ice bodies continued the planet’s cooling trend.

The latest ice age peaked about 20,000 years ago, when global temperatures were likely about 10°F (5°C) colder than today. At the Pleistocene Ice Age’s peak, massive ice sheets stretched over North America and Eurasia. We can thank these ice sheets and their associated melt events for the Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, and even the Channeled Scablands in Washington and Oregon.
These things are all way wayyyyyy beyond our control and that of our politicians.