Cliff Kapono: Open Rhythms

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Damn I enjoyed every second of that.

had no idea he had so much shreds.

Loved the music and the different angles at classic waves on good but not epic days.

Reactions: PPK96754

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
was in Hilo Sun-Mon for a quick in and out to check out our family 2 acre lot out towards volcano.
Visited with the folks at Paliko Surf(Sig Zane) and Orchidland.
I asked the guy at Paliko where Cliff was surfing those giants waves in the video as it looked like it was close to Hilo but he said no, it was some where else and they call it their version of Mavericks when it gets big. As you can see in the video, those are some of the biggest waves I've seen filmed on the big island. We visited Honoli'i which was nice but car jammed with tourists and didn't realize there was a nice little break smack in the middle of downtown called bay fronts.
Broke my heart to see what's become of the place with the chronics, transplants and tourists. Always felt it was a refuge from the mess of Kona side, but not any more. Gonna be a Mini Waikiki people wise soon.

Good on the Hawaiian showing the world we can be smart (PHD), speak the language, do socially good work, be sponsered by a big label, and still surf the sht out of the most of his non-productive bruddahs.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Good on the Hawaiian showing the world we can be smart (PHD), speak the language, do socially good work, be sponsered by a big label, and still surf the sht out of the most of his non-productive bruddahs.
The dude is a good role model. I am not being sarcastic.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
was in Hilo Sun-Mon for a quick in and out to check out our family 2 acre lot out towards volcano.
Visited with the folks at Paliko Surf(Sig Zane) and Orchidland.
I asked the guy at Paliko where Cliff was surfing those giants waves in the video as it looked like it was close to Hilo but he said no, it was some where else and they call it their version of Mavericks when it gets big. As you can see in the video, those are some of the biggest waves I've seen filmed on the big island. We visited Honoli'i which was nice but car jammed with tourists and didn't realize there was a nice little break smack in the middle of downtown called bay fronts.
Broke my heart to see what's become of the place with the chronics, transplants and tourists. Always felt it was a refuge from the mess of Kona side, but not any more. Gonna be a Mini Waikiki people wise soon.

The Unit, who was working at Paliku, didn't want to give up the spot, did he. Didn't know you that's why. Haha. Hilo still is a refuge from Kona, though the homeless has increased, they don't cause as many problems as the ones in Kona, which quadruples in size during the winter with the mainland ones coming over. Was the ship in port? That's when you see people downtown.

Cliff is really mellow, Nice guy, in and out of the water. As far as Honolii, if Bayfront isn't breaking, it's really the only game in town. Weekends are a mess. See alot more out of state plates than ever before. But it's home ...... :giggle:

Reactions: Chile Verde

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
The Unit, who was working at Paliku, didn't want to give up the spot, did he. Didn't know you that's why. Haha. Hilo still is a refuge from Kona, though the homeless has increased, they don't cause as many problems as the ones in Kona, which quadruples in size during the winter with the mainland ones coming over. Was the ship in port? That's when you see people downtown.

Cliff is really mellow, Nice guy, in and out of the water. As far as Honolii, if Bayfront isn't breaking, it's really the only game in town. Weekends are a mess. See alot more out of state plates than ever before. But it's home ...... :giggle:
we stayed at the Naniloa (now a Best Western/Hilton)
Probably explained why there was only haoles and other tourists versus all the locals at the Hilo Hawaiian next door. But my bro said he thought the Hilo Hawaiian was closed for renovations. Last time I stayed over night it was at Uncle Billy's because my dad made me stay at his KSBE classmate's hotel. But it was a dump just like the rest of his places so I went for a name brand instead.
When we got in the morning to leave we saw the boat coming in and knew we were in trouble.
As sure enough, everywhere downtown was jam packed. Too bad the farmers market wasn't in full force and two ladies was closed. But with all the boat tourists it would have been a mess.

At least we saw the Mauna in all her glory and those observatory's ruin her outline in the dawn
We made a bee line to Waipio to give our support to the crew and pay our respects. Met a Ukranian refugee family there as well as a Beamer and an Ontai (relative of roadblock) small world.

Did my hilo visit shopping economic support (Sig, Paliku, Hawaiian Force, Orchidland and all the food places) Came back with giant duffle of omiyage goodies for the holidays.

I still love hilo over kona but it's turning the same color with the same big boxes just like home

Reactions: Bullnutts

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Went to Hilo a couple of years ago and really loved it. It was when Kilauea was erupting, drove all over Pahoa to try to see it and got skunked. Found out later they were patrolling heavily and giving huge tickets for parking or hiking through the jungle to locals and tourists alike. After a few days we went over to Kona and it was like going to Orange County.