Classic longboard/noserider (I confess I like men!)

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My 7''10 Lovemachine Thick Lizzy has given me more joy than I could have ever imagined.

I am timidly learning to cross step and have been riding on the nose a bit (easier backside than frontside, whodathunk!?) but it's quiet sensitive and obviously has its limitations.

So I confess, I'm interested in getting a board designed for noseriding hotdoggin sh!t.

Not interested in surfing anything bigger than 3ft/waist high either.

Can someone point me in the proper direction? Sizing n stuff?

Beg, borrow, demo some.
Are you dragging this thing to a point break somewhere, or is it going to surf in SD? I'd want a different iteration for one than the other.

Otherwise, there are more world class shapers of that style of board within a 20 mile radius of you than most can say, and there are a handful of shops that could help you distill info and get contacts. Just about any of them would be able to make you what you're looking for. And there's probably at least a dozen more that you don't really hear about.

Anything with the Takayama name will work (except maybe Guy). HPD still puts out incredible boards despite being 3xs removed from Donald at this point.
Michael Takayama is making boards for world champs
Jim Phillips is a completely reasonable idea
Bing too
Roy Sanchez
There are a bunch in SD county
There are more in Ventura/SB zone.
Wayne Rich

Everyone is probably in Del Mar right now, not wanting to pack their vans with all the boards they brought...

There are a lot.

I have commitment issues. I can't pull the trigger on a custom log anymore.
I get em used.

The crew at all the log shops could be helpful. Also THe Board Source, Surfy, and The Surfboard COllective could be helpful.

Reactions: Havoc

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Someone also recommended the Gato Heroi "Fat Cat"

0:40 was basically my whole summer:

For what it's worth, and I've been riding logs since the early/mid 90's, I've never met anyone who has been stoked on a Gato Heroi, ever... Caveat Emptor.

My advice to you, if you want a GOOD, single fin, classic noserider from someone in SoCal, go with Josh Martin(trust me on that one) or Hank Byzak.

You can kid yourself all you want when it comes to how you *think* you'll surf a classic log in small(typical) San Diego conditions, but unless you have the proper board, you're not going to get there.

Have fun learning! Hit me up if you want to surf logs.....

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You can kid yourself all you want when it comes to how you *think* you'll surf a classic log in small(typical) San Diego conditions, but unless you have the proper board, you're not going to get there.
I don't think i'll do anything other than minor turns and some walking.

I just want a more stable, capable platform than I have now.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I'm thinking a Bing Beacon

Matt recommended the 9'6.
popular board in a popular size. should have reasonable resale value if you dont connect with it

fwiw since you have to move feet, sizing lb's is about your steps. esp on noserider that pivots off the tail and trims midpoint forward

im 6-1 and like em 9-4

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Yeah, It seems weird(to me) that some of *you guys* are just now starting to embrace longboards... If you live in Southern California, it shouldn't even be a question. You can surf 300+ days a year if you have a log. And like someone said(above).... Learning how to trim on a small peeler is so much fun.

Reactions: smithgrind

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
For what it's worth, and I've been riding logs since the early/mid 90's, I've never met anyone who has been stoked on a Gato Heroi, ever... Caveat Emptor.

My advice to you, if you want a GOOD, single fin, classic noserider from someone in SoCal, go with Josh Martin(trust me on that one) or Hank Byzak.

Have fun learning! Hit me up if you want to surf logs.....
Hank the Crank made 5-6 boards for me in the 80s. Freaking artist, dialed-in everyone of the boards. Hope he’s doing well, just an awesome shaper. Fun to surf with back in the day

i_ride_spinnaz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 19, 2020
Beg, borrow, demo some.
Are you dragging this thing to a point break somewhere, or is it going to surf in SD? I'd want a different iteration for one than the other.

Otherwise, there are more world class shapers of that style of board within a 20 mile radius of you than most can say, and there are a handful of shops that could help you distill info and get contacts. Just about any of them would be able to make you what you're looking for. And there's probably at least a dozen more that you don't really hear about.

Anything with the Takayama name will work (except maybe Guy). HPD still puts out incredible boards despite being 3xs removed from Donald at this point.
Michael Takayama is making boards for world champs
Jim Phillips is a completely reasonable idea
Bing too
Roy Sanchez
There are a bunch in SD county
There are more in Ventura/SB zone.
Wayne Rich

Everyone is probably in Del Mar right now, not wanting to pack their vans with all the boards they brought...

There are a lot.

I have commitment issues. I can't pull the trigger on a custom log anymore.
I get em used.

The crew at all the log shops could be helpful. Also THe Board Source, Surfy, and The Surfboard COllective could be helpful.
Guy certainly knows how to shape a nose-rider if asked.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm thinking a Bing Beacon

Matt recommended the 9'6.
I'm into Bing. Our friends at Duck Foot Brewing just opened a tasting room next to them in Leucadia.

Assuming since you have a 7' 10" you are wanting something in the 9'+ range. Hopefully you have racks on your car.

And these threads are so much better with images...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You're not going to want a traditional noserider under 9'4". I would recommend a 9'6"-9'8", wide nose, fairly parallel outline square tail. Wide point center, single fin. Flat bottom, no nose concave.

That's if you want to get the best noseriding qualities out of a log.

That's just my opinion.
Why no nose concave?

Just curious.

I am guessing SoCal gets a lot more longer-peeling, small background long period waves and more of those pristinely clean situations where the board runs smoothly, instead of chop/bump feeling like riding a skateboard down a road with lots of twigs.