Civil engineer?

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Are the any civil engineers, in the OC, that understand what Seal Beach needs to get back to the way it broke in the 80’s? There is way too much sand and the community there could use some help! I grew up there, started surfing in 1972. I stopped surfing seal about 2015. The city repaired the sea wall and north side went to poop. South side was a novelty by then. There is just too much sand...

Reactions: parkiteric

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
you dont need to be an Engineer of any type to get that.
To convince the city council to agree to do something to improve the surf, you need an engineer. Surfers that know the break understand what is needed, but the people who have the power to change the way things are done need an engineer.

Reactions: keenfish

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
To convince the city council to agree to do something to improve the surf, you need an engineer. Surfers that know the break understand what is needed, but the people who have the power to change the way things are done need an engineer.
not sure its that easy but meet up with Chad like mentioned

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Barba?

Call the Army Corps of Engineers. They have a good track record. jk.

Heard that Pratte's Reef was a failure. Maybe got some lessons learned there?
Wasn't Pratte's an attempt to put Lower Trestles in the South Bay?

IMHO what the South Bay needs is a Smyrna/St. Andrews's setup. Something that turns a wall from 30th to Dockweiler into a dozen peaks, not another pointbreak for wavehogs who can't duck dive. LA isn't running out of those.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Apart from a civil engineer you’d need a marine engineer and an environmental engineer. And studies and legal and la chingada. Heavy on the la chingada.

We have miles of empty beach break north of Lázaro that would be perfect for a Newport type setup. Between here and Peta too. North of Lázaro would pick up the 215+ swells the go by us. Same thing from south of Zihuatanejo towards Acapulco, miles of opportunities.

In front of our house would be a great spot. Fishing too.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
I’ve watched the berm being built and watched them level it. Sand comes from north side and stays on south side. Granted, I understand the homeowners concerns about flooding, but I’ve seen it flood with heavy rain!

Maybe someone from Manson or Connelly will read this

I know both Chads, but not JT. The initials don’t ring a bell.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Apart from a civil engineer you’d need a marine engineer and an environmental engineer. And studies and legal and la chingada. Heavy on the la chingada.

We have miles of empty beach break north of Lázaro that would be perfect for a Newport type setup. Between here and Peta too. North of Lázaro would pick up the 215+ swells the go by us. Same thing from south of Zihuatanejo towards Acapulco, miles of opportunities.

In front of our house would be a great spot. Fishing too.
This is what I would do if I was a plutocrat. I'd buy a long stretch of closeouts and slap in all sorts of angled jetties, just-offshore rockpile islands, the works. sh!t'd be so cash.

• Love
Reactions: npsp

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
This is what I would do if I was a plutocrat. I'd buy a long stretch of closeouts and slap in all sorts of angled jetties, just-offshore rockpile islands, the works. sh!t'd be so cash.

The closest you can get as an adjacent owner is 20 meters above the high tide line. You can get a concession for use but that doesn’t allow for permanent structures. Like jetties. Would have to be administered by the gubmint.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

The closest you can get as an adjacent owner is 20 meters above the high tide line. You can get a concession for use but that doesn’t allow for permanent structures. Like jetties. Would have to be administered by the gubmint.
Yes, I am sure that I, as a plutocrat seeking to develop a coastline that seems to consist of Playa Azul and squat else, would have had a very difficult time getting a better concession from Chapo or Amlo or whoever to put in some jetties.

If I were a rich man
Yabba dabba slabbas over sand
I wouldn't have to surf slop
Or surf with 80 people
brazzos euros izzos floridiots and schizos
Gaffing all the pockets I can!

If I owned a Smyrna
And I could pre-burna
Stocka Wocka Flocka Flames!

I'd build a bunch of jetties
Wedges and no wetties
A fine chip-in takeoff with a tapered lip line