Cheyenne horan fins

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've seen these in person: Futures Elevon
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 06.16.57.png
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 06.16.37.png

I think the set I saw were thrusters, but I couldn't find them on Google. Look pretty wild!

drunjk

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 27, 2017
they don't wor as good as 13.4 deg cant, if 14.2-14.5 range it increases float

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Hearing him talk about them is entertaining, but it doesn't help much. He claims the design essentially mimics a fighter jet wing - increasing lift, drive, control, sensitivity, etc., etc., etc. - and that the inward cant further increases speed and drive. All easily provable. But when DLS asked him why no one has copied the design he had no response. :shrug:.

I still want to try them... :roflmao:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jkb and sozzle
Sep 20, 2019
I’ve always wanted to give them a go as well.

I think without trying them is that when on rail the fin will be straight, making it flow better? Only thing I can really see from the picture. His fins are similar to a hydro foil beam that’s been lengthened. Efficient design.

The evolon fin I’ve surfed a few years back. They finally cracked.There’s something there I couldn’t put my finger on it. Low tail rocker is a plus otherwise you’ll feel the drag. Had some magic moments on them, some horrible moments as well.

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Was going to make the same thread. Anybody ridden a laser zap? Have an old 80s quad in the rafters with a similar but not as extreme tear drop outline. Haven’t ridden it since I was a kid but I remember it being borderline unsurfable.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Which ones? I haven't tried either, but am curious about both.

View attachment 179644

The star fin works quite well. You can actually feel it lift the tail of the board and you can really roll it over on the rail. The biggest issue is seagrass and kelp. Those two will really ruin your session but if you're surfing over a clean bottom, they can be hella fun.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
The star fin works quite well. You can actually feel it lift the tail of the board and you can really roll it over on the rail. The biggest issue is seagrass and kelp. Those two will really ruin your session but if you're surfing over a clean bottom, they can be hella fun.
Exactly. Used one on a longboard for years. Super fun, but sea grass and kelp were a nightmare. Bad enough with a normal fin, the Starfin just exaggerated it. Never did try one on a shortboard.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Pic I took, as a grom, at the '83 OP Pro in Atlantic City of Cheyne's two boards. He was rocking these boomerang type fins at the time.

Years later, I was recalling the contest with Aaron Chang (who was there documenting it) and I mentioned these boards. Aaron is a really good surfer himself, from all the years of traveling the world and told me he actually tried those boards from Cheyne a few times and his words were something like 'No one knew how freaking hard those boards were to ride, because Cheyne made it look so easy, but they were incredibly difficult to surf.'

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Was going to make the same thread. Anybody ridden a laser zap? Have an old 80s quad in the rafters with a similar but not as extreme tear drop outline. Haven’t ridden it since I was a kid but I remember it being borderline unsurfable.
In 2011 I purchased a Lazerzap thruster from Geoff. Sold it a month later and purchased my first quad. The difference was astounding. Those zaps are so backfooted - there is so much area in the tail, I couldn't get it moving frontside. Backside was better but not enough to keep the board. I couldn't imagine how it would go as a single. Cheyne's surfing still blows my mind.

Reactions: motosurf

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I picked up this horan inspired shape from solosurfer in the early 2000's it was a boat nose (heavy vee) flowing into a round and then flat tail. Hardly any tail rocker. Took awhile to figure it out but once I did it was magic. You needed to be fully on the tail and the face needed to be completely vertical but it really loved staying and doing things right in the pocket. Not really a down the line kind of board but more a straight up and straight down kind of board. I believe Solo had Ricky Carroll shape that board for me.

I traded the board to Shwuz for one of his custom compsand fishes.

I later picked up another version solo had tim stamps shape for me which was a little more versatile with multiple fin setups. I still could use both the star fin and geoff's gull wings on that board. The gull wings worked best on a nugget design.

I haven't tried Cheyne's new thruster/quad fins but I did get one of solo's revisions of the star fin which eliminated the two wings and it was definitely faster down the line not as good vertical in the pocket as the star.

I rode the FCS 3D red tip with FCS curved webber side fins but they worked better with H2 sides or AM sides all in CarbonLite. I have that future twin tip but haven't really used it. I think with these wing tip fins you definitely need tails rockers well below 2" maybe even 1" is too much tail rocker. Other wise they act like anchors.

of all the fins I've tried and I've had allot, the original futures vector 3/2 in ceramic were the best for regular boards. I don't know why future's doesn't acknowledge the original designer of the vectors curtis hasselgrave.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I picked up this horan inspired shape from solosurfer in the early 2000's it was a boat nose (heavy vee) flowing into a round and then flat tail. Hardly any tail rocker. Took awhile to figure it out but once I did it was magic. You needed to be fully on the tail and the face needed to be completely vertical but it really loved staying and doing things right in the pocket. Not really a down the line kind of board but more a straight up and straight down kind of board. I believe Solo had Ricky Carroll shape that board for me.

I traded the board to Shwuz for one of his custom compsand fishes.

I later picked up another version solo had tim stamps shape for me which was a little more versatile with multiple fin setups. I still could use both the star fin and geoff's gull wings on that board. The gull wings worked best on a nugget design.

I haven't tried Cheyne's new thruster/quad fins but I did get one of solo's revisions of the star fin which eliminated the two wings and it was definitely faster down the line not as good vertical in the pocket as the star.

I rode the FCS 3D red tip with FCS curved webber side fins but they worked better with H2 sides or AM sides all in CarbonLite. I have that future twin tip but haven't really used it. I think with these wing tip fins you definitely need tails rockers well below 2" maybe even 1" is too much tail rocker. Other wise they act like anchors.

of all the fins I've tried and I've had allot, the original futures vector 3/2 in ceramic were the best for regular boards. I don't know why future's doesn't acknowledge the original designer of the vectors curtis hasselgrave.
What's up Oneula - how ya been?

Do you know what they were calling the fin you have in IMG00120? I think the kid from Coronado who used to post here back in the day was somehow involved, because if I remember correctly, he gave me one that I never used, but still have!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had one board in particular that went so good with the FCS Curved fins. It was around when the Lost Movie 5’5 x 19 1/4” came out (1997?). I was getting a lot of boards from Matt Calvani who was my roommate at the time and asked him to make me something fishy. The bort was probably close to the movie title’s dims and i would guess 2 5/16 thick. It was one of a handful of magic borts I’ve ever had and it went best with the curved fins (with a regular thruster trailer). I tried them in a few other borts and there wasn’t any magic. One fin eventually started to delaminate and I never replaced them.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
@oneula - Futures is probably going to re-release the Vector fins. So stoked on this idea. Loved those fins. HATED the scimitar version, but the 465s with the hatchet fin were incredible. (as long as they weren't hex-core. broke a few of those.)

Reactions: Bman76

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Curious what the Cheyne Horan and Matt Biolas collaboration bort (discussed during the most recent DLS podcast) will look like and if custom fins would be offered

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Spencer Kellogg made me a nugget inspired 6'2" a few years back. Kind of a mild hull/V bottom, quad. Went really well. I rode another one of his that I borrowed that was a couple of inches shorter and had a 5 fin Bonzer setup. The rear footed aspect of the Bonzer merged into that outline with the widepoint to the rear and the width of the tail and went SUPER well. I always wanted to get him to do another one. In small waves I feel like I am forced forward to jink the board to get speed. With the Bonzer setup on that wide ass tail you didn't need to move up on the board to try and get the thing moving. Rode it from the same place/weight distribution in sh!t surf or good surf.

Last edited: