Charter vs Disney: The Death Knell for Broadband Cable TV?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Hard to tell what's actually going on here because we are only hearing curated talking points from 2 corporate behemoths PR departments. Seems that Disney wants to charge broadband providers a premium and package all of their channels together, and Charter is saying no, you are asking too much and all we want is ESPN.

Funny how this happens right at the start of college and pro football season. Which is double lame because the Disney ESPN+ App doesn't even allow you to watch ESPN unless you already pay for a cable service that includes ESPN :foreheadslap: :roflmao: Friggin scam. The broadband providers are even worse because even if you cut the cord, you are still paying through the nose for the internet access by itself.

Hopefully this leads to dissolution of the broadband monopoly on broadband internet access and cable tv, and eventually more a la carte options for the handful of channels worth watching, but in the near term I'm not holding my breathe :toilet:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You can see where they started growing through acquisition and where they started burning through the IP of those acquisitions.
1693774446503.png

Disney is probably gonna own everything when the dust settles.
Disney is tiny compared to entities like Apple. I think they're going to start selling stuff off and possibly get acquired.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Disney is probably gonna own everything when the dust settles.
I don't think so. Disney is not planning on acquiring; rather they plan on selling off divisions. I expect them to start shedding. Their streaming services are not doing well at all.

Interestingly, streaming services had cable tv on the ropes, until recently. Once streaming services jacked up their prices, cable looks more competitive, and is appearing to rebound. Most middle age and up folks like cable; easier to navigate. I may go back to cable; keep Peacock for the cycling, and ditch the rest of the streamers.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Won't 5G make the cable companies obsolete even for internet?
Eventually, or at least 6/8/10G will once they can reliably stream video uninterrupted at scale (not sure if they are there yet). However the cable giants will milk it for as long as they possibly can.

Reactions: Mr Doof

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Years ago, I can recall hearing that ESPN alone added $5 to your monthly cable bill. As if I needed another reason to ditch cable. :rolleyes: ....and at this point, we have so much free content at our fingertips, I won't live long enough to watch it all.

Reactions: grapedrink

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I just tried to watch Sunday night baseball and got this…

IMG_0312.jpeg

not sure who is right or wrong in this dispute but I do know that Spectrum has been fvcking over legions of dodgers fans and local businesses in Los Angeles for a very long time now with their “exclusive” dodgers deal. If you live or own a bar in the wrong zip code you can’t watch the dodgers. And they’re proud of that. This is terrible for bars that rely on local sports for business if they can’t play the local team. Now I can’t watch nationally aired games? This is such horse sh!t.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Years ago, I can recall hearing that ESPN alone added $5 to your monthly cable bill. As if I needed another reason to ditch cable. :rolleyes: ....and at this point, we have so much free content at our fingertips, I won't live long enough to watch it all.
Agreed. And if it's worth $5/month to you, you should have the option to pay for that by itself. If not, you shouldn't have to pay for it at all.

It's the bundling with 60 channels of dogshit that is the real ripoff.

Reactions: keenfish

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The bottom line is that when I signed up for my cable plan it included these stations. I don’t even really like ESPN, but it was part of the plan that I signed up for. Regardless of which side is in the wrong, Spectrum is no longer offering the goods and services i signed up for and that’s a problem. But it shouldn’t be my problem, that’s their problem to sort out however much it costs them.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The bottom line is that when I signed up for my cable plan it included these stations. I don’t even really like ESPN, but it was part of the plan that I signed up for. Regardless of which side is in the wrong, Spectrum is no longer offering the goods and services i signed up for and that’s a problem. But it shouldn’t be my problem, that’s their problem to sort out however much it costs them.
Agreed.

I have charter spectrum and a dumbed down ala carte option where my monthly cable bill is about what it was for standard cable 10-15 years ago, and I get all the locals plus 10 cable channels. Wutta deal :rolleyes: :roflmao: Which for me is fine because Food Network makes up 95% of my cable viewing.

Just a week ago, I got an email saying I could add 5 Channels at no extra cost, so I added ESPN for the occasional college football game. In hindsight, seems like they saw this coming and offered these scraps to lessen the blow and cover their ass. I hope they get a wave of cancellations soon.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Won't 5G make the cable companies obsolete even for internet?
No.
Eventually, or at least 6/8/10G will once they can reliably stream video uninterrupted at scale (not sure if they are there yet). However the cable giants will milk it for as long as they possibly can.
Nothing beats copper and 5G FR2 proved to be a dud which should've been obvious (and was to people who work at higher frequencies) 5 years ago.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Market cap
Apple: $3t
Disney: $150b

Disney owns more than 200 companies.

1693832808649.png