Channels that curve inward toward the tail…

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
VERSION ONE - 6'4" x 18-1/2" x 2-3/8" as I recall. Golden board. Finish shape by Russell Hoyte, again as I recall.

VERSION TWO

5'8" x 19" x 2-3/8" Mod-Pod template and rocker, squash tail thruster, Varial blank. Finish shape by Mike Walters, a kid I used to burn at the Pit. Now he's a grown-ass man with a family and a great shaper in his own right. Gotta put a pad on, fins, and... a leash string.

1 Deck.jpg2 Bottom.jpg3 Channels.jpg4 Angles.jpg

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
VERSION ONE - 6'4" x 18-1/2" x 2-3/8" as I recall. Golden board. Finish shape by Russell Hoyte, again as I recall.

VERSION TWO

5'8" x 19" x 2-3/8" Mod-Pod template and rocker, squash tail thruster, Varial blank. Finish shape by Mike Walters, a kid I used to burn at the Pit. Now he's a grown-ass man with a family and a great shaper in his own right. Gotta put a pad on, fins, and... a leash string.

View attachment 123687View attachment 123688View attachment 123689View attachment 123690
Interesting decision to use pod mod as a base for this. Further explanation?

Also, ditto your comments on Mike.

Also also, we must know each other.

PS: what did you ask for exactly to get those channels? “Channels that curve the “wrong” way”?

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
think if u had identical boards, but one had straight channels, the other had these..... would anyone really feel the difference when riding?
1644092243748.png

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
@Duffy LaCoronilla - I asked for the 6 Channel tri-plane hull bottom. Went with the Pod Mod as my platform as the rocker was akin to the MBM with a single-to-double-to-vee out the back bottom. That's exactly what the MBM had. So I went with a shorter board with the rocker I like and the bottom I like.

@000 - It would likely be difficult to tell and impossible if you're driving down the line or in a barrel. Now, with that said, doing rail carves on these boards you do really feel these boards track along the channel. It's like carving on a track - at least my last two were. It felt/feels really good. Not a snappy board, but I've never had a 'snappy' channel bottom board. (I'd dig doing for a surf with you one day and trade off boards. Somewhere without a lot of other people around.)

All that said: I committed the ultimate self-jinx since I posted pictures of this board but haven't used it yet. Ugh. I couldn't resist but I should've.

Last edited:

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
VERSION TWO

Something about the invisible rails rang a bell and I think I was there (here) when version 1 snapped? Could be waves at that spot in the morning, but nothing to snap a board with.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Man, can’t believe I missed this thread. Great boarr, please abandon family and work to give the people that matter some reportage.

I’m seriously in love with your snapped one too, that is so far up my alley. $100 is a bargain, I would’ve thrown in a handjob just to show my appreciation.

.....with the locked in carving vs snappiness thing, the Aussie channel shapers who’s boards I’ve ridden (Günther, Bourton, Byrne) all run the inner channel very shallow through the tail so it jus leaves the vee visible. I’ve found them quite snappy with all the good hard railing you’d expect from a deep 6.

Well done sir.