Channel Islands ECT weight

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Has anyone got or ridden/felt-up a CI ECT (Eco Carbon Tech) bort? I went into my local shop (ET Surfboards) and they had two in the tech, a DD2 and a Pro2.0 and they were heavy AF. I'm open to just a stock-standard PU, but I have a kid to put through college and can't deal with a bort that goes great for a few weeks/months and then goes (relatively) lifeless. With my past hookups I was willing to gamble on tech, but I HATE heavy borts. I'll still get something new from Stamps, (PU) but I'm still open to non-strigered borts if they (or at least similar to) ride like a PU, but don't lose their pop. A lot of the shop guys I grew up with ride and report on stoke borts that are weird volcanic, or random builds. One of the best sarfers I've known for a long time loves the FW Great White, but I've invested WAY too much money in FCSII to go down the Futures route again. He ordered a DD2 in poly and was put off by the ECT's they had in stoke from their weight, but I would hope they were anomalies and that tech isn't inherently heavy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Has anyone got or ridden/felt-up a CI ECT (Eco Carbon Tech) bort? I went into my local shop (ET Surfboards) and they had two in the tech, a DD2 and a Pro2.0 and they were heavy AF. I'm open to just a stock-standard PU, but I have a kid to put through college and can't deal with a bort that goes great for a few weeks/months and then goes (relatively) lifeless. With my past hookups I was willing to gamble on tech, but I HATE heavy borts. I'll still get something new from Stamps, (PU) but I'm still open to non-strigered borts if they (or at least similar to) ride like a PU, but don't lose their pop. A lot of the shop guys I grew up with ride and report on stoke borts that are weird volcanic, or random builds. One of the best sarfers I've known for a long time loves the FW Great White, but I've invested WAY too much money in FCSII to go down the Futures route again. He ordered a DD2 in poly and was put off by the ECT's they had in stoke from their weight, but I would hope they were anomalies and that tech isn't inherently heavy.
$.02

Most HP CIs I see on racks are UL. If shops right down the road in the South Bay are selling boat anchors the tech's probably heavy. I have a Cabron Warp with a Marko recycled lam and it's light, so I don't think all recycled EPS is inherently heavy.

What about Spank Tech?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I felt up four of them. They all had different versions of the build.

PU/carbon S - heavyish
PU/carbon TL - light but heavier than normal Team Light
EPS (or something like it) UL - light
EPS “ TL - really light but not as light as Dark Arts.

Basically it’s the same weight as their normal glass jobs as far as I can tell.

PS: I don’t buy anything with “eco“ in the name out of principle.

Mar 25, 2009
I saw one in satan cruz (a happy errrrday) right next to the same board and dims in pu/pe. It was definitely noticeably much heavier so I had the same initial reaction. Also you could see the surface of the board was a little wavy... Not sure what's up with the board but I guess we'll find out in a couple days when CI drops their next big marketing video. A few of their team riders were ripping on them during the CS comp that's going on right now...

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
$.02

Most HP CIs I see on racks are UL. If shops right down the road in the South Bay are selling boat anchors the tech's probably heavy. I have a Cabron Warp with a Marko recycled lam and it's light, so I don't think all recycled EPS is inherently heavy.

What about Spank Tech?
I had a Spank Tech Fever years ago. I demolished it pretty quickly. It was Mystery glassed which is a fitting company name since it's a mystery they're still in business with the work I've seen them put out. It soured me on the build a little, but I'd be open to try a better glassed one.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

terdroamer

OTF status
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
If you wanna go spineless I highly reccomend DFT for the win bullet proof and tested by team:shaka:

Reactions: sizzld1

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I’d def be curious for a proper Dumpster Diver 2 review from someone who’s not a pro

terdroamer

OTF status
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
I've had a few custom Stretch's and they just didn't go that great for me. They were pretty bomb-proof so I was bummed they were meh.
:shrug:
I find if I order a board(s) from him I first find model(s), then height, width, and thickness, and then explain conditions I want to ride board in etc, and then current age, height, weight, and years surfing. I am pretty sure Dylan has most in data base etc but like to give current update and he is real good and responding to my emails.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
:shrug:
I find if I order a board(s) from him I first find model(s), then height, width, and thickness, and then explain conditions I want to ride board in etc, and then current age, height, weight, and years surfing. I am pretty sure Dylan has most in data base etc but like to give current update and he is real good and responding to my emails.
I just think there's something about the Stretch rockers that don't jive with my surfing. I have a pretty good thing going with Stamps, but I'll also get some CI's and Pyzels from time to time.

terdroamer

OTF status
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
I just think there's something about the Stretch rockers that don't jive with my surfing. I have a pretty good thing going with Stamps, but I'll also get some CI's and Pyzels from time to time.
Totally get that and for me they work 100% love me single to double norm but must admit the 5150 flat to single back to flat reverse channels works very nice with spineless bord.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Same. Used to get a bro deal on them so I've had a few different models. S2, Sword, Thing, Quadfish. I think the S2 and the borrowed Skate model were the best for me but none of them were really intuitive and natural feeling. Felt like I had to surf to the board rather than just doing my thing. My good friend on the other hand loves the Stretch boards and they have proven to be very durable even under his heavy feet. He is much more of a front footed surfer so I have always assumed that it was probably a rocker issue.

I do like the Stretch longboard that I have but I'm not really enough of a longboarder to tell if it's actually a good board or not:shrug: