Central Park Karen has been fired

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
To provide a little context for the slow and uninformed, try to walk your dog off leash in Malibu lagoon, Ballona, Bolsa or any other protected wetland estuaries.

For one, I've never seen anyone do it, so I imagine it would take a pretty significant dose of entitlement to pull it off. Or, maybe the Hwood stars go out at night; nah, not when the beach is right there.

I've owned dogs my entire life, and have always trained them to be able to go off leash. That being said, I don't have the personality to flaunt basic social conventions by violating very simple regulations regarding leashes when required.

Secondly, while I like 99% of all dogs and I'm able to pet/be non-threatening, there are owners + dogs that obviously represent risky, potentially risky encounters. In those situations, I don't have a problem saying something if something needs to be said.

This action by the dude isn't Karen behavior; it's a guy tired of the same old entitlement mentality we see with the CV mask business. That is, advocate for rules, but consider your own judgment sufficient to moderate your own abidance.

Single white chicks in their 30s are by definition defective because they missed the relationship opportunity that by its very nature creates a hard force on moderating behavior.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
No dude. It was a field dog. They scamper through the brush and scare birdies so the hunter can plug them. Most importantly bring them back to the hunter so fat pig doesn't have to walk. They were trained to flush woodcock. Hence the name. Those things would drown if you threw them in after a duck. They can operate in a marsh however.
maybe drowning them was the point

nature is cruel :LOL:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Now there we go. I'm going with 23. Assuming I can get in on the first one and grab him by the rear legs. Then you use him as a flail.

I got this.
Nice. I think we all agreed this was also a sound technique for taking out a maximum number of 5 year olds.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
No dude. It was a field dog. They scamper through the brush and scare birdies so the hunter can plug them. Most importantly bring them back to the hunter so fat pig doesn't have to walk. They were trained to flush woodcock. Hence the name. Those things would drown if you threw them in after a duck. They can operate in a marsh however. Or at least they could. Working capabilities in any breed can easily be lost in a couple of generations if you don't performance breed. Many of our dogs are no longer capable of performing the tasks they were initially bred for. I have a pitbull that gets his ass kicked my Australian feral cat.
Apparently they do make great duck dogs. Primarily used down south.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Pretty sure all spaniels are bird hunting dogs
Hunting has been bred out of most spaniels you find in the US these days. If you want one for hunting you'd need to find a breeder who specializes in hunting stock. My cousin raises Brittanies for pheasant hunting and he drives half way across the country to get the right dogs. As for the cocker spaniel the ones bred from hunting stock don't even resemble the ones you'll see as the dog-show bred cockers most american households have.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I think idea is spaniels are small enough that they won’t rock the boat when they leap out into the water to grab the duck you’ve shot or whatever

people buy them for their looks but they still have the hunting instincts from breeding
There is a breed called a water spaniel you may be thinking of. Looks like a cross between a lab and a brittany.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
All jokes aside, it’s well documented that domesticated pets like dogs and particularly cats have hugely negative impacts on wildlife populations. To a point it’s actually driven some species to or close to extinction.

I’d be happy to see Australia’s practices adopted to mitigate this
View attachment 91723
Totally true

A while ago Steve Rinella was posting all these Instagram stories of normal domestic dogs, not even feral, taking down deer

Reactions: manbearpig

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think that it would be fun fighting 23 5 year olds.

Can I have a bat?
Nope, bare handed. But you can use an individual 5 year old as a weapon against the others.

Even better, use one of them against the army of cocker spaniels.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'm with you most of the way except for this part:

This action by the dude isn't Karen behavior; it's a guy tired of the same old entitlement mentality we see with the CV mask business. That is, advocate for rules, but consider your own judgment sufficient to moderate your own abidance.

We have handled our own dogs similarly - they are trustworthy off leash but we always stick to the rules when applicable. And we do routinely see people break those rules or not clean up after their dogs. We get frustrated the same as everyone else, but we never escalate it to the point where there's a confrontation. A little side eye at most, not that it is of any effect.

This was not a one-sided confrontation. Both sides were playing at equal intensity. I think the guy was in the right to begin with and the woman was clearly in the wrong; but that doesn't alter the point that he fully intended to trigger her and he followed all the way through.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I always keep my Lab on a leash even though he's very friendly. Lots of people don't like dogs.

Reactions: GDaddy

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I let my dog off leash too, he doesn’t want to leave my sight. It’s in his blood to herd and be like Velcro to his owner.

that being said, despite the fact he pays other people and dogs no attention, he’s still my responsibility. If someone or their pet is uncomfortable with him off leash it is my responsibility to put him on the leash until it’s appropriate to remove it. The woman failed at this simple courtesy.

bird man was 100% in the right.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I make my dog sit off to the side as people pass by in the opposite direction. Including when they're walking a dog. I only let her off leash in situations where it's permissible and acceptable. I run a short leash, too. I don't believe in long leashes when we're just out walking or hiking.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I let my dog off leash too, he doesn’t want to leave my sight. It’s in his blood to herd and be like Velcro to his owner.

that being said, despite the fact he pays other people and dogs no attention, he’s still my responsibility. If someone or their pet is uncomfortable with him off leash it is my responsibility to put him on the leash until it’s appropriate to remove it. The woman failed at this simple courtesy.

bird man was 100% in the right.

This. Even if you know your dog will 100% stay by your side no matter what, you're still obligated to leash the dog if you know someone is uncomfortable, or afraid of dogs, or is going to call the cops.

Also, since you mentioned Birdman....you get this

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Apparently they do make great duck dogs. Primarily used down south.
There are a few outliers. You'd be hard pressed to make that happen. Marshes, maybe. My friends who hunt duck have problems finding labradors who are capable working dogs now. They have been bred for nothing but looks. Tough to find one capable of fulfilling its original purpose.

All this aside, if you are afraid of a loose cocker spaniel, Jesus Alice. Stay home and quiver with fear. The world must terrify you.

And yes, crazy lady fucked up having the dog off leash. I'm just mocking the fear aspect of fluffy on the loose.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've never met a cocker spaniel that was sociable.
inbred all to helll and owned by pretentious people who treat
other animals like a fashion accessory

who the FKKKKK has a dog living in New York City?!

I know you're lonely, but don't drag the fkn dog in to your shitty life

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
There are a few outliers. You'd be hard pressed to make that happen. Marshes, maybe. My friends who hunt duck have problems finding labradors who are capable working dogs now. They have been bred for nothing but looks. Tough to find one capable of fulfilling its original purpose.

All this aside, if you are afraid of a loose cocker spaniel, Jesus Alice. Stay home and quiver with fear. The world must terrify you.

And yes, crazy lady fucked up having the dog off leash. I'm just mocking the fear aspect of fluffy on the loose.
I think they’re mostly used in swamps and marshes as you said. Definitely not a dog for big water. There’s a good field and stream article on them for ducks I got to find.