CB Octafish...any ride reports?

May 20, 2020
I have been eyeing up a CB Octafish as a daily driver in beach break. I've searched the forum and found a lot of comments but didn't find any detailed ride reviews. Generally, it seems like the Octafish isn't as popular as much as the egg or MBLV and I'm curious why that is. Seems like a great design with a huge range. Anybody ride one? Any feedback is much appreciated!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I've got one.
Had it for a decade will never sell it.

I love it.
As you said, very versatile.

I mostly ride in small point surf, it's a blast, really nice fishy glide with Bonzer 4th and 5th gear if you get the right wave.
Beautiful flowing surfing.

Does duty as a groveller and does OK, especially if there is a little curve in the wave.

I also like riding it as the opposite end of the spectrum in big, pumping Point surf, way above it's range.
It's such little slab, you can take off deep and late, and kind of stay low and hang on.
You get some really cool lines and out of control moments at top speed.

Haven't ridden mine for almost 2 years because it's yellow and I got buzzed by a white shark on it and kind of freaked out about yummy yellow.
Just cleaned it up and it's good to go again.

I would recommend.

Mine's 5'10".
I'm, 5'10 and about 165-170.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Had one, a 5'10", for years & used it exactly as youre intending-daily driver at a beach break. i loved it. Thing went in everything...waist on up to slightly OH. probably would have gone in bigger, but i had a 6'4" rounded pin Shelter model that i'd use in bigger surf. by the time i sold it, it was more q-cell than original foam & the deck looked like the surface of the moon. i rode the hell out of it over the course of about 4 years & never had a bad session on it.
the only reason i don't have one now is that i'm interested in other designs & don't get to surf as much, so i'm trying to keep a minimal quiver. i have no doubt i'll circle back around to it at some point.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I've got one.
Had it for a decade will never sell it.

I love it.
As you said, very versatile.

I mostly ride in small point surf, it's a blast, really nice fishy glide with Bonzer 4th and 5th gear if you get the right wave.
Beautiful flowing surfing.

Does duty as a groveller and does OK, especially if there is a little curve in the wave.

I also like riding it as the opposite end of the spectrum in big, pumping Point surf, way above it's range.
It's such little slab, you can take off deep and late, and kind of stay low and hang on.
You get some really cool lines and out of control moments at top speed.

Haven't ridden mine for almost 2 years because it's yellow and I got buzzed by a white shark on it and kind of freaked out about yummy yellow.
Just cleaned it up and it's good to go again.

I would recommend.

Mine's 5'10".
I'm, 5'10 and about 165-170.
t!t pics or it doesnt exist.

i mean board pics

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
It's the only bonzer i flat out didn't like. Just couldn't get it going. Tried stacks of fins in it. Nothing worked. Either no drive, or felt really tracky. Guy i sold it to still has it and rides it consistently. Horses for courses!