Cartel Questions

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
As a native Californian I’m proud to say that the golden state has some of the best on both accounts. Pricy but dependable quality. I heard the El Gavo cartel is running the show but can’t confirm.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

A fella I worked with in 1992 designed and fabricated a mobile processing plant to make aceite de aguacate in Los Reyes, Michoacán. This was back in the late 80’s. As soon as they got it functional they were told to beat it and don’t come back. The only new thing about OC here is the election “influencing” but that has always been around to some extent.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The Haas avocado is apparently the product of serendipity.

Source

The origional tree was really a mistake - a lucky chance seedling. In the late 1920's, Mr. Rudolph Hass, who was a postman, purchased seedling trees from A. R. Rideout of Whittier, for the purpose of developing two acres of budded trees of the Lyon variety. It was Rideout's custom to plant very small seedlings at orchard spacing (12' x 12') at the grove site. The seedlings were grown in 2" x 2" x 8" tarpaper open-ended tubes of square cross sections. The seedlings were to grow in place for a year, or until well established, and be later budded in the field.

Hass' children first brought the tree to his attention. They preferred the fruit. Since the quality was high and the tree bore well, Hass patented it in 1935. The same year he ordered 300 trees propagated to this variety by H. H. Brokaw of Whittier. Hass never planted the ordered trees; however, he entered into an agreement that Brokaw grow and promote the variety in consideration of splitting gross tree income 25% for Hass and 75% for Brokaw.