Carissa & WSL...DONE?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dude, Brazilians don't give a sh!t about pro surfing. Only the actual surfers are interested and that's a very, very, VERY tiny parcel of the population. The rest are just glad to know Brazil has a world champion, but they only watch Medina when gossip magazines are talking about his latest affairs, they don't watch the contests... even surfers barely do, it's legit boring.

Any wipeout reel will get 1000x more views than a WSL competition.
Joel Tudor got banned cause he pointed out girls on longboars get more social media clicks than CT clicks. One of the reasons Vans still has him and bankrolls the Duct tape contests.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Any wipeout reel will get 1000x more views than a WSL competition.
they’re not mutually exclusive.

But Brazil is consistently the country with the most viewers.

Maybe I’m not representative of the surfing world. I’ve had the QS Pismo comp on all week at work. Young Lucas Owston and Kai Kushner smashing Kolohe this morning was a great watch.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Maybe I’m not representative of the surfing world. I’ve had the QS Pismo comp on all week at work. Young Lucas Owston and Kai Kushner smashing Kolohe this morning was a great watch.
you are not. I live here and aint nobody watching that shlt. Not even on the pier itself.
Brought some great surfers into town, though. Pros are faaast

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Maybe I’m not representative of the surfing world.
this. I don’t think you are.

the tour has lost money for years because there is just not enough audience who watches. If there was, they would be able to fund the tour like every other “major” pro sports league operates: through sponsors, charging admission to attend events, selling/licensing official merch, and (mostly) selling the media rights in each country/region. They’ve tried all kinds of iterations of the tour over the last 20 years: urban beaches with more audience on the sand, dream tour with good waves and no crowds, wavepools, triple crown, mid season cut, finals day…
If there was money in the pro surfing viewing market- like the surf industry thinks, all the various multinationals (Coke, Samsung, Corona, Budweiser, Sony, etc) who’ve sponsored events/tour in the past wouldn’t have come and gone in 1-2 years. Again, it exists now as a financial write-off for a bored billionaire.

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
they’re not mutually exclusive.

But Brazil is consistently the country with the most viewers.

With the amount of views you don't need such an expressive number to be the n1 country watching it.

You said "half the population of Brazil", that's quite a stretch. We're over 200 million (if that doesn't make you vomit in your mouth I don't know what does).

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
When the CT events run I’ll watch or I’ll listen while working and rewind for excellent scores. Still get amped when the Hawaii surfers win or go far feel sh*tty when they get eliminated. Especially if I know them or their parents.

I used to know a handful of duus who worked for WSL/ASP/IPS. Now not so much.

I don’t know why the owner bought the league but I do know it’s the wife who surfs. A friend was on Tavarua with them and she was getting private lessons from either Kelly or Shane-O. Adult learner.

Don’t know the health of the WSL but I’ll still watch. Lots of Hawaii surfers to cheer for and get let down over. Lot of Hawaii surfers that don’t fly the Hawaii flag but they still from Hawaii.

Hope the wind doesn’t mess things up so Pipe and Sunset fire. If it gets tricky bet on John. Not sure which woman surfs funky gnarly waves the best but she’ll have to be brave. Haha.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I don’t know why the owner bought the league but I do know it’s the wife who surfs. A friend was on Tavarua with them and she was getting private lessons from either Kelly or Shane-O. Adult learner.
I said it before... you either die a hero or...

Does Kelly also teach poor kids or only extreme rich ladies with endless contacts?

Sorry, the goat lost me somewhere down the road. Still the goat though, even if he turned out to be an idiot (protecting face from stones being thrown... fuck it)

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
With the amount of views you don't need such an expressive number to be the n1 country watching it.

You said "half the population of Brazil", that's quite a stretch. We're over 200 million (if that doesn't make you vomit in your mouth I don't know what does).
I wasn’t being literal.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
this. I don’t think you are.

the tour has lost money for years because there is just not enough audience who watches. If there was, they would be able to fund the tour like every other “major” pro sports league operates: through sponsors, charging admission to attend events, selling/licensing official merch, and (mostly) selling the media rights in each country/region. They’ve tried all kinds of iterations of the tour over the last 20 years: urban beaches with more audience on the sand, dream tour with good waves and no crowds, wavepools, triple crown, mid season cut, finals day…
If there was money in the pro surfing viewing market- like the surf industry thinks, all the various multinationals (Coke, Samsung, Corona, Budweiser, Sony, etc) who’ve sponsored events/tour in the past wouldn’t have come and gone in 1-2 years. Again, it exists now as a financial write-off for a bored billionaire.
Yet it still lives.

Lexus is sponsoring Pipe.

Pro surfing isn’t going anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
you are not. I live here and aint nobody watching that shlt. Not even on the pier itself.
Brought some great surfers into town, though. Pros are faaast
I love these comps, but I also know a ton of the groms just entering the ranks.

Maybe that’s why everyone here is so down on pro surfing - they’re 20-30 years past their generation’s expiration date.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Well, you guys are probably not going to be able to watch events for free much longer, either. ESPN+ just bought the rights to stream WSL events.

The times & tides are a changin', fellas.

I pray it doesn't take effect this year. I hate buying all these streaming services. And I likely will for the WSL.

CLICK FOR LINK TO ARTICLE

By the way, notice whose picture graces this press release. #SmellySkater

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Well, you guys are probably not going to be able to watch events for free much longer, either. ESPN+ just bought the rights to stream WSL events.

The times & tides are a changin', fellas.

I pray it doesn't take effect this year. I hate buying all these streaming services. And I likely will for the WSL.
They couldn’t give it away so now they’re gonna try to sell it.

Makes perfect sense.

You get a raise you get a raise you get a raise... lets keep this going we are all thee true sacred art geometry wavesliders fountain of youth krew of the sea! Elijah surfs Jesus surfs I surf...

I'm either trying to get Occy, Nat Young, Makua Rothman and I to surf all our brains out for all our birthdays at one of Kelly's next wavepools (*check THIS! they know all our birthdays are at around the same June 17th and International Surfing Day!) OR a legit surfing and pistacio waffle cone, waffle syrup or carmel syrum scene actually AT MY WORK IN SARASOTA FLORIDA to be filmed in a futuristic James Bond movie in the next trans AI vs normal human woman hero battle scene or... a new hobby.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I’ll watch Pipe, Tahiti and Snapper live but not really anything else, I don’t even like watching JBay, FIJI, G-Land or Indo. It’s all pretty boring. Not to be a deck, but I am definitely not watching Pismo.
I know the potential but Snapper has been a tiny wave contest lately.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I agree but the rub is what I bolded - GloboMegaCorps that own YouTube and IG change the monetization formulas all the time. To cut YouTube's costs, big channels on YouTube were recently told they need to consolidate with more "collaboration" with other channels. Thus, you're going to see less and less on YouTube, a brand very much in decline. The other risk is that YouTube (Alphabet) have monopolized the communication channels to subscribers and hold all the cards. Mark Bell's Power Project found this out yesterday - YouTube implemented some algorithm change that deleted their entire channel without warning. It was only through back channels that they could restore it.
All well and good, but professional surfing is not going to rise from those ashes. It'll just be gone.

Reactions: PRCD

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
You get a raise you get a raise you get a raise... lets keep this going we are all thee true sacred art geometry wavesliders fountain of youth krew of the sea! Elijah surfs Jesus surfs I surf...

I'm either trying to get Occy, Nat Young, Makua Rothman and I to surf all our brains out for all our birthdays at one of Kelly's next wavepools (*check THIS! they know all our birthdays are at around the same June 17th and International Surfing Day!) OR a legit surfing and pistacio waffle cone, waffle syrup or carmel syrum scene actually AT MY WORK IN SARASOTA FLORIDA to be filmed in a futuristic James Bond movie in the next trans AI vs normal human woman hero battle scene or... a new hobby.
Lay off the pipe, son.