Car totaled question

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
A little off topic. The day before yesterday, coming home from a surf I stopped behind another car at a stop sign. When th other car went I pressed down on the gas pedal and my car (85 VW Vanagon Westfalia) had died. I tried starting it. No go. Had it towed to mechanic. I thought maybe it was the gas pump or something with the ignitiong. He called yesterday. Timing belt broke. Valves bent. He has to pull the head and see if the pistons are ok. If pistons are bad it’s a full rebuild- 3-7k. :cursing:

Keeps tabs on the mileage of your timing belts folks, and replace in a “timely” manner, better early than to late.
You got a vanagon? Prime year too!? Bos

I get a chubbie every time I see one. Take pix of em every time I see one. Wife thinks it’s weird.

can we start a vanagon thread? I love em

Reactions: One-Off

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think in the end you’ll wish your car was never side swiped. You’ll spend more than any check you’ll get before you’re road worthy.
This.

Luckily, I found 2022s on sale!

Reactions: Iceman

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
You’re having a string of not so swell events.

take the money.

What kind of car.
I’d suggest to buy the car back for $250 and fix it. But not likely worth it if frame bent. A buddy did that but with a brand new truck and he built a jig to straighten the frame. He’s a fabricator and welder, right up his alley.
Build a jig to straighten the frame. Make some headlights from 40 ounce beer bottles.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Quit being suck a cheap fukk and get a good car you'll be stoked on this time. ;)
Disagree. Be a dirty filthy cheap fukk. Never buy a newer cars unless you have Diddy money pre litigation. Wait 2 to 4 years until kinks get worked out and its a proven design. Plenty of design fiascos to cite with all major auto manufacturers- Honda transmissions 02 to -06, Nissan and Ford internal water pumps,etc, not to mention registration fees.

Also, I would think twice about driving a Fit. I have seen such horrific accidents with those tiny cars. If you are going to drive a Fit I would just get a motor bike with surf racks. Pretty sure I can pick up a Fit and throw it across the street.

Besides, you only need one Fo' Ranga wit Fo' wheel drive wit Brahma tires, one steering wheel fo' steer'um, an one phat cab in back fo your friends and bruddahs, an one roll up an down window cranka!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Disagree. Be a dirty filthy cheap fukk. Never buy a newer cars unless you have Diddy money pre litigation. Wait 2 to 4 years until kinks get worked out and its a proven design. Plenty of design fiascos to cite with all major auto manufacturers- Honda transmissions 02 to -06, Nissan and Ford internal water pumps,etc, not to mention registration fees.

Also, I would think twice about driving a Fit. I have seen such horrific accidents with those tiny cars. If you are going to drive a Fit I would just get a motor bike with surf racks. Pretty sure I can pick up a Fit and throw it across the street.

Besides, you only need one Fo' Ranga wit Fo' wheel drive wit Brahma tires, one steering wheel fo' steer'um, an one phat cab in back fo your friends and bruddahs, an one roll up an down window cranka!
ONE FORD RANGER XLT!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Reactions: Chocki

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

The newer 9-speed Honda transmissions aren't any good from what I hear - the planetary gearsets simply become too small for durability with that many speeds. They do it to try to save emissions. I'm skeptical of anything over a 3 speed with an overrunning clutch, personally.

I drive a Fruit and it seems to be a bad thing to rear-end someone with, especially if their rear bumper is high - you'll end up with it in your lap. That's not so much different than any small car though. It's just that everyone else drives a huge car now.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
A little off topic. The day before yesterday, coming home from a surf I stopped behind another car at a stop sign. When th other car went I pressed down on the gas pedal and my car (85 VW Vanagon Westfalia) had died. I tried starting it. No go. Had it towed to mechanic. I thought maybe it was the gas pump or something with the ignitiong. He called yesterday. Timing belt broke. Valves bent. He has to pull the head and see if the pistons are ok. If pistons are bad it’s a full rebuild- 3-7k. :cursing:

Keeps tabs on the mileage of your timing belts folks, and replace in a “timely” manner, better early than to late.
back to work u go! at least u had a couple months of retirement

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Timing belt broke? What kind of engine you have in that thing?
My last one had a Ford Bostig.
View attachment 178341
Tiico frankenmotor. Audi 80/90 block, VW head, custom oil pan. Installed by a JPL engineer. Worked great for awhile. Other mechanics marvelled at the clean install. Had starter problems the last year (used up all my AAA tows), after 3 starters and a new battery finally got it sorted...until....

Yours looks like the $85,000 vans.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

Partially agree.

A new model or major redesign could be a cause for concern if they don't nail it, and certain model years will have issues in certain areas, but it doesn't mean you should buy a sh*t box old vehicle. Anything could have issues, some worse than others and its always in flux.

2013 F150. One of the best selling vehicles on the road today. Did I look at past years that were considered the 'good years' for F150 and buy an old used vehicle, no, I bought new, and have done very well. Bought it for $37k and is still worth $15k to $18k. Driven it as much as I could ever want and never been concerned it will leave me stranded on a long trip. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes, one transmission fluid flush, and new plugs. Had a coolant leak 2 years back that cost a couple thousand to fix, and a MAP sensor go bad which was another $1,500. Considering all the travel and good times I've had with family and friends in this vehicle, I cant imagine being in something lessor.

2018 Tesla Model 3. Only the 2nd year for this vehicle. No real issues in almost 6-years now. Kinda deflates the argument about 'never buy a new model car'. I'd rather enjoy a new car than driving around in some beaten down joke of a ride.

If you're simply the type of person who doesnt like nice things, more power to you. Maybe you buy all used clothes too, or have a crappy house. In many cases new or nicer dont really matter. I certainly try to live with minimal material possessions. And while it's good to save money, there is a fault in spending too little on things as well when they simply cant do the job needed, so the money you did spend is essentially wasted on something which only holds you back every time you use it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Partially agree.

A new model or major redesign could be a cause for concern if they don't nail it, and certain model years will have issues in certain areas, but it doesn't mean you should buy a sh*t box old vehicle. Anything could have issues, some worse than others and its always in flux.

2013 F150. One of the best selling vehicles on the road today. Did I look at past years that were considered the 'good years' for F150 and buy an old used vehicle, no, I bought new, and have done very well. Bought it for $37k and is still worth $15k to $18k. Driven it as much as I could ever want and never been concerned it will leave me stranded on a long trip. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes, one transmission fluid flush, and new plugs. Had a coolant leak 2 years back that cost a couple thousand to fix, and a MAP sensor go bad which was another $1,500. Considering all the travel and good times I've had with family and friends in this vehicle, I cant imagine being in something lessor.

2018 Tesla Model 3. Only the 2nd year for this vehicle. No real issues in almost 6-years now. Kinda deflates the argument about 'never buy a new model car'. I'd rather enjoy a new car than driving around in some beaten down joke of a ride.

If you're simply the type of person who doesnt like nice things, more power to you. Maybe you buy all used clothes too, or have a crappy house. In many cases new or nicer dont really matter. I certainly try to live with minimal material possessions. And while it's good to save money, there is a fault in spending too little on things as well when they simply cant do the job needed, so the money you did spend is essentially wasted on something which only holds you back every time you use it.
This used to be a good way to figure out which year/model/makes were good. I think Phil Edmonson might've sold the publication to a corporate bugman conglomerate though.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Tiico frankenmotor. Audi 80/90 block, VW head, custom oil pan. Installed by a JPL engineer. Worked great for awhile. Other mechanics marvelled at the clean install. Had starter problems the last year (used up all my AAA tows), after 3 starters and a new battery finally got it sorted...until....

Yours looks like the $85,000 vans.
Me and a buddy partnered up on it. I did the work and he supplied the part$. Sold it for a lot. It’s impossible to keep a westy running these days with any kind of out in podunk reliability. There’s just too many things to break. Even with a modern motor.