Car totaled question

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I got sideswiped, not my fault.

At minimum my passenger door and entire rear panel of the vehicle would need to be replaced. Frame is likely bent too.

The car was worth around $1500 - $2000. Now worth much less. So it's very likely (undoubtedly) totaled. Dropped it off at the collision repair center today for an eval and claims inspection.

Car still runs - passing emissions questionable this August but as of now I think it would pass no prob. Eats oil like a MFer. 3 quarts every couple weeks or less.

Never had a car totaled before. What should I expect from claims? Is there anything I should be aware of during this process?

• Haha
Reactions: mundus and $kully

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

At minimum my passenger door and entire rear panel of the vehicle would need to be replaced. Frame is likely bent too.

The car was worth around $1500 - $2000. Now worth much less. So it's very likely (undoubtedly) totaled. Dropped it off at the collision repair center today for an eval and claims inspection.

Car still runs - passing emissions questionable this August but as of now I think it would pass no prob. Eats oil like a MFer. 3 quarts every couple weeks or less.

Never had a car totaled before. What should I expect from claims? Is there anything I should be aware of during this process?
I had this happen. Have the frame pulled straight, get another door from pick a part, and get a salvage title.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
You’re having a string of not so swell events.

take the money.

What kind of car.
I’d suggest to buy the car back for $250 and fix it. But not likely worth it if frame bent. A buddy did that but with a brand new truck and he built a jig to straighten the frame. He’s a fabricator and welder, right up his alley.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Just put your keys in the sand at Scripps and maybe someone will steal it!

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
If they total it and low ball you on a settlement, demand they find you comparable cars for sale that are in running condition.
They won't do that. Not worth their time.

They're going to offer what they estimate the FMV of the vehicle to be and it probably won't be the same as Casa's estimate of the FMV.

Reactions: santacruzin