Cape Town SA - erBB wisdom?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
About to head out on my first trek to SA. Gonna test a couple of badass boats and one of the dudes who works for the company is a surfer. I'm nursing a healing meniscus so I don't want anything heavy, but I'd sure love to catch a few cruisers somewhere around Cape Town and not get attacked by a shark.
erBB wisdom for the stock.
1670446556256.png

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What does "test boats" mean?

Is is a writing gig or are you going to buy one?

How long is that flight from the east coast?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Dang - I wish I'd known about these sooner! 5/7
In all cereal'y I would not worry about sharks and focus on surf instead :cheers: nwver been but early 90z surfed some spots with hits inside red triangle and always tried to focus onsurf instead of whats below:shaka:

Jul 1, 2009
Where are you staying? Do you have transport? It is summer time so some spots are exponentially busier than the rest of the year. Water is also colder and much more wind so pack a hood/chicken vest of your choosing.

The exposed beachies can handle the predominant wind and you can basically just cruise/go straight to save your knee ( http://instagr.am/p/Ckc-tK8jmAS/ ).

Muizenberg is also a cruisy option if the wind is W or NW but the crowds will be thick and a log isn't the kindness choice for a healing meniscus.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you're nursing a healing meniscus just forget about surfing there, the waves are about 100 times better than where you're from and the setups are great, you're bound to overdo it.

Maybe a bodyboard and fins instead.

Also, you need a car.

IMHO possibly one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If you're nursing a healing meniscus just forget about surfing there, the waves are about 100 times better than where you're from and the setups are great, you're bound to overdo it.

Maybe a bodyboard and fins instead.

Also, you need a car.

IMHO possibly one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.
I always read "Bring more foam in your board because it will be pumping."

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Dude, yer Stocked. Cape Town is such a beautiful city. I stayed in Kalk Bay/Simon's Town and loved wandering around in the early morning, watching the fishermen ready their boats and whatnot. There's a fuggin penguin beach where you can chill and watch those little idiots bobble around on the rocks and swim through the crystal clear water.

I was there in March and I was surprised how cold the water was on the West coast. Noordhoek was the funnest wave we got but to be honest it wasn't exactly pumping. Would like to go back when there is more swell.

I think doing the hike out to Cape Point is a must if your knee is up for it. Unforgettable vibes.

When exploring around just be cognizant of the fact that there is some dangerous areas. The coast is mostly nice and built up and safe feeling but inland, where the townships are, can be pretty sketch.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There's a fuggin penguin beach where you can chill and watch those little idiots bobble around on the rocks and swim through the crystal clear water.
Boulders Beach. Epic swimming spot, and when it’s blown out everywhere it’s the perfect chillspot . . . and therefore also crowded. Go early and make a day of it.

If/when I go back I will stay in Llandudno.

Reactions: Aruka

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Wouldn’t recommend going for an evening stroll…. Chant of youths in the past, “One settler, one bullet.”
Even in the early 80's while apartheid was ending I found Capetown safe-ish. My SA gF would not drive at night or go near any Township though.

The troops of baboons were really sketchy. Saw one big male grab hold of a tourist's arm and wouldn't let go while she was trying to commune with it. She started to scream and it started to scream which drew all his friends to the party happening on the roof of her car. Eventually, some guy runs over with an umbrella, opening and closing it quickly to scare it off.

My GF said while hiking, once a baboon jumped on her back for a while. She could not get the smell off her for days and had the throw away her pack.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Even in the early 80's while apartheid was ending I found Capetown safe-ish. My SA gF would not drive at night or go near any Township though.

The troops of baboons were really sketchy. Saw one big male grab hold of a tourist's arm and wouldn't let go while she was trying to commune with it. She started to scream and it started to scream which drew all his friends to the party happening on the roof of her car. Eventually, some guy runs over with an umbrella, opening and closing it quickly to scare it off.

My GF said while hiking, once a baboon jumped on her back for a while. She could not get the smell off her for days and had the throw away her pack.
Our first full day in the country we were exploring in the hills above Simon's Town when we were ran off the road and accosted by a very angry man who claimed to be a police officer. He was driving a shitty red tercel so we were obviously not buying the police claim but we were also pretty jet lagged and thrown off kilter by this unexpected, err, interaction. It was starting to feel like we might have to fight this very big man who had by this point grabbed our keys from the ignition and was being pretty threatening when a couple soldiers came walking up the road and when the man saw them he dropped our keys, got back into his car and peeled out of there.

We later realized there was a township just over the other side of the hill and we realized how dumb we were being just cruising around back roads without a plan. Needless to say we were much more cautious the rest of the trip and we didn't have anything quite as sketchy happen again. We had some friends who went through some even gnarlier sh1t near Port Elizabeth though.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

When I was in Gibraltar the rock apes which are protected and smart enough to know it. We had a mob of them jump through an open window of our van and b-line it for our bags with food in them and they cleaned us out in seconds. Even mothers with nursing babies got in on the action with zero fear of repurcussions. Apparently they're a serious nuisance to the locals but if they die off England has to give the rock back to Spain. So under that agreement they're protected and can do whatever the fuck they want.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
When I was in Gibraltar the rock apes which are protected and smart enough to know it. We had a mob of them jump through an open window of our van and b-line it for our bags with food in them and they cleaned us out in seconds. Even mothers with nursing babies got in on the action with zero fear of repurcussions. Apparently they're a serious nuisance to the locals but if they die off England has to give the rock back to Spain. So under that agreement they're protected and can do whatever the fook they want.
Liberal Europeans and their protected classes :cursing: