Canard foil design.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Anybody ride these where the front wing is the small wing and big wing goes in the back?

Gong foil seems to be one. But their forums are in French. Maybe you have some info for us on that front Greg.

Zeno spitfire is that design too I think.

Dec 5, 2018
Hdip said:
Anybody ride these where the front wing is the small wing and big wing goes in the back?

Gong foil seems to be one. But their forums are in French. Maybe you have some info for us on that front Greg.

Zeno spitfire is that design too I think.
I don't think Gong is into that at least I haven't seen it, their foils are pretty much a Gofoil...

I've seen something about it in the seabreeze forum, looks interesting for sure.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Lots of discussion on canards on the kite forums. Zeeko is the main brand pursuing this. There are a few others too, but in the 5 years or so since zeeko introduced the spitfire, it hasn't caught on widely.

The benefits seem sensible: with two lifting wings, you can get the same lift from smaller wings; the tendency on a surface breach is for the foil to settle back slowly, so less wipeouts after a breach; turns are initiated off the back foot, like a surfboard carve, so it feels more surfey.

I tried it on my kite foil with some DIY wings. Quite an interesting feeling to stomp a turn, rather than steering through it on a normal foil. However, mine wasn't tuned quite right, took a lot of effort not to drop off foil, so I went back to my "normal" set up.

Zeeko is making increasingly larger wings for their spitfire canard. First the XLW (extra large wing) for kite cruising, and just recently the XXLW for sup foil. There are some videos online of their designer riding them. They appear to work, though the videos aren't really "holy crap, that's insane, I must have those!", at least not yet.