canada burning/nyc apocalypse…

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I've been avoiding going outside too much I'm not the young Marlboro man I once was. Can't afford to treat myself like shut any more. It was pretty bad In My Uneducated Opinion. They said I would die.. so I had no problem doing what they said. YMMV

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Don’t run any a/c - you’ll just suck it all into your house.
Probably not the case. Most AC units recirculate the air that's already in the house. If you have a filter (like central air units) it might even improve things a bit.

Anything that jettisons air from inside the house (like ventilation fans and dryers) will cause negative pressure in the building envelope that will draw air (through small voids like light fixtures with their "backs" to the attic, electrical switches and sockets window and door frames, etc.) and smoke from the outside.

Going back to the AC issue- I suppose a slight negative pressure could develop as the recirculated air shrinks in volume as it cools, but it will quickly equilibrate and cease drawing in exterior air

Last edited:

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Probably not the case. Most AC units recirculate the air that's already in the house. If you have a filter (like central air units) it might even improve things a bit.

Anything that jettisons air from inside the house (like ventilation fans and dryers) will cause negative pressure in the building envelope that will draw air (through small voids like light fixtures with their "backs" to the attic, electrical switches and sockets window and door frames, etc.) and smoke from the outside.

Going back to the AC issue- I suppose a slight negative pressure could develop as the recirculated air shrinks in volume as it cools, but it will quickly equilibrate and cease drawing in exterior air

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've been avoiding going outside too much I'm not the young Marlboro man I once was. Can't afford to treat myself like shut any more. It was pretty bad In My Uneducated Opinion. They said I would die.. so I had no problem doing what they said. YMMV
So what you’re trying to tell us that…
You can’t handle the smoke?

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Welcome to the party, PNW been like this for years. Gonna be a banger year with all the undergrowth that came in this spring.
I think you’re right. May was super sunny and very dry. Fingers crossed sh1t doesn’t
get out of hand for our local fire depts.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA

I can see you know something about it. One interesting thing about exhaust fans is it does not seem to be part of human evolutionary coding to think of where the air the fan is exhausting is coming from. Most people just give you a blank look when you ask that question. For instance my kitchen exhaust works way, way, way better with a bedroom window open (on the opposite end and side of the house to avoid pulling the smelly cooking air right back in).

You might like Dr. Joe's videos. I just found this guy last week and I can't stop watching. All about vapor and water control and insulation in attics and buildings - very interesting. For instance Dr. Joe had the idea of using global vegetation maps to determine what environment buildings around the world have to be built for since vegetation is smarter about that than people. Here he is asking an audience of architects why they build glass buildings with an R2 insulation rating just like stone huts in Ireland:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Here he is asking an audience of architects why they build glass buildings with an R2 insulation rating just like stone huts in Ireland:

chester gould was right…

“the country that controls silicone caulk production will control the world…”

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I can see you know something about it. One interesting thing about exhaust fans is it does not seem to be part of human evolutionary coding to think of where the air the fan is exhausting is coming from. Most people just give you a blank look when you ask that question. For instance my kitchen exhaust works way, way, way better with a bedroom window open (on the opposite end and side of the house to avoid pulling the smelly cooking air right back in).

You might like Dr. Joe's videos. I just found this guy last week and I can't stop watching. All about vapor and water control and insulation in attics and buildings - very interesting. For instance Dr. Joe had the idea of using global vegetation maps to determine what environment buildings around the world have to be built for since vegetation is smarter about that than people. Here he is asking an audience of architects why they build glass buildings with an R2 insulation rating just like stone huts in Ireland:
Joe Lstiburek is the man! Really good at breaking down building science.

• Love

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I can see you're a fan since you can spell his last name - I'm still working on that myself :foreheadslap:
Haha. If you like him, you might also like The Build Show on YouTube. Lots of good building science stuff in there. It is more tutorial based… and they do push specific products… but its cool to see the application of it in construction.