Can we talk about the price per unit of overseas manufactured surfboards?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Let's hear some numbers.

How has FW kept their numbers under wraps for so long?

"We'll need photos of your kids and the addresses of the schools they attend..."

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
$125.00 delivered by cargo ship to Long Beach. Same with Super, Hayden Shapes, Lost, & the list goes on. Destroying the surfboard industry while over charging consumers with their poorly made product made by women in un-regulated factories. FireWire is certified Eco friendly, but they pay to be on that list. Think about that for a minute.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
bsnyder said:
$125.00 delivered by cargo ship to Long Beach. Same with Super, Hayden Shapes, Lost, & the list goes on. Destroying the surfboard industry while over charging consumers with their poorly made product made by women in un-regulated factories. FireWire is certified Eco friendly, but they pay to be on that list. Think about that for a minute.
Wow you cannot even buy materials for that in America...what kind of crappy foam or glass are they using?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

thats lower than i thought. thought it was $200ish landed cost for a fireturd. nice markup for ceos to buy beach property in san diego lolz
bsnyder said:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, I figured they were blowing their own blanks and maybe making their own resin?

I would do that from an efficiency and inventory stand point, not necessarily to save money.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Don't know where this figure comes from but that s indeed impossible ! where did you get that from ?

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
A big brand was getting boards complete for the under $200.00 in Mexico. Decided to go Thailand because it was as cheaper. Good friend was shaping many of them. Now hardly any work. Even MP said that in his interview with Scott Bass.

1lb. EPS, cheaper materials, wages of next to nothing, indeed it is possible. Painted over sh!t brown stringers, fake carbon laminates down the center, no wonder they break so easy.

But for the important people, they build them here in Oceanside. The rest of you get cheap, Thailand quality.

Wake up people. They don’t care about you. Just your wallet.

Continued outsourcing of these craft we enjoy, is ruining our industry.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
bsnyder said:
A big brand was getting boards complete for the under $200.00 in Mexico. Decided to go Thailand because it was as cheaper. Good friend was shaping many of them. Now hardly any work. Even MP said that in his interview with Scott Bass.

1lb. EPS, cheaper materials, wages of next to nothing, indeed it is possible. Painted over sh!t brown stringers, fake carbon laminates down the center, no wonder they break so easy.

But for the important people, they build them here in Oceanside. The rest of you get cheap, Thailand quality.

Wake up people. They don’t care about you. Just your wallet.

Continued outsourcing of these craft we enjoy, is ruining our industry.
Amen.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Well then better you expose this brand then (out of many certainly was that would be one I ll make sure I won t buy).

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Mat6920 said:
Well then better you expose this brand then (out of many certainly was that would be one I ll make sure I won t buy).
Most likely, it isn’t just one brand getting that price point. It probably applies to any company importing in the same way. Might as well boycott all of them.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
maybe yes maybe not but there is no point claiming that a major brand is selling boards that cost 125 dol to make and say that we pretty much get sh!t quality for high price but not telling us who it is. Sounds like a Haydenshape or Lost to me

Dec 14, 2011
You guys are way off. A Thailand made 5'10" EPS Shortboard costs between $240-$285 First Cost. Depending on the amount of fin boxes, color, carbon, etc.

$125 is not accurate. Thats the first cost of a 9' Catch surf style foamie.

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
ryguy said:
You guys are way off. A Thailand made 5'10" EPS Shortboard costs between $240-$285 First Cost. Depending on the amount of fin boxes, color, carbon, etc.

$125 is not accurate. Thats the first cost of a 9' Catch surf style foamie.
$195.00 out of Mexico. Complete. Why would you hey pay more? In the surfboard industry 35 years on a professional level. I know owners of many brands on a personal level. Small place neustry. Had news travels fast. My insider was info. is accurate.

Dec 14, 2011
The Main reason brands are working with the Thailand Factories is Consistency and Capacity. In this on-going gripe, people fail to acknowledge that all factories have a max capacity on the number of boards they can produce. Most "shapers" don't like to, don't have the shop and staff to replicate thousands of the same exact board every single month. Its called production.

I respect you experience in the industry, but there is no such thing as a $125 board unless its entirely made from foam.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
ryguy said:
The Main reason brands are working with the Thailand Factories is Consistency and Capacity. In this on-going gripe, people fail to acknowledge that all factories have a max capacity on the number of boards they can produce. Most "shapers" don't like to, don't have the shop and staff to replicate thousands of the same exact board every single month. Its called production.

I respect you experience in the industry, but there is no such thing as a $125 board unless its entirely made from foam.
So what part of the industry are you involved in (if any?)