Can we talk about street harassment and catcalling?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
How many of you do this?

How many of you have experienced it?

If you saw another person catcalling would you say something?

If you were the catcaller and another dude called out on it, how would you feel about it?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I, for one, would find it funny to play the Motley Crue song Girls Girls Girls at the next MeToo rally.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
81% huh? That's some wildly optimistic polling going on right there because everyone knows that only 20% of women ever generate a 2nd look from a stranger.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
My own thoughts on "verbal harrassment" aside...

1582146731150.png

That being said, that's some east coast trash sh!t. The only people that ever do the cat calling type thing out here are black dudes

• Dislike
Reactions: FecalFace

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
This weekend I was up at Big Bear with some friends and they had an adorable 10wk old Bernese Mountain dog. I carried her across the patio outside the main lodge on Saturday afternoon. Talk about a chick magnet. Holy crap it felt like Beatlemania, I was being swarmed by people, mostly attractive women. At one point a girl yelled from across the patio "Hey can I cat call your dog!" and it made me laugh.40339D64-E570-48E6-B999-FC5DDD777E86.jpeg

Reactions: gbg and Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This weekend I was up at Big Bear with some friends and they had an adorable 10wk old Bernese Mountain dog. I carried her across the patio outside the main lodge on Saturday afternoon. Talk about a chick magnet. Holy crap it felt like Beatlemania, I was being swarmed by people, mostly attractive women. At one point a girl yelled from across the patio "Hey can I cat call your dog!" and it made me laugh.View attachment 86669
A good dog obviates the need for catcalling. I have a collie and I get stopped all the time. Not for my looks, but for my dog’s majestic beauty.

Reactions: $kully

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How many of you do this?

How many of you have experienced it?

If you saw another person catcalling would you say something?

If you were the catcaller and another dude called out on it, how would you feel about it?

I had an old lady at work who was in love with me sexually harasses me.

It was uncomfortable.

I had gay guys try to pick up on me as a young man.

Awkward!

I had chicks I broke up with stalk me.

Girl need to toughen up if they don't want to live with towels on their heads.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I had an old lady at work who was in love with me sexually harasses me.

It was uncomfortable.

I had gay guys try to pick up on me as a young man.

Awkward!

I had chicks I broke up with stalk me.

Girl need to toughen up if they don't want to live with towels on their heads.
But did you ever feel physically threatened or afraid? Many women feel that way very often.

Something about the reptilian brain is fascinating.

Equally fascinating is many mens’ inability or refusal to use empathy and system 2 thinking in these scenarios.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
1. How many of you do this?

2. How many of you have experienced it?

3. If you saw another person catcalling would you say something?

4. If you were the catcaller and another dude called out on it, how would you feel about it?
1. Not me.

2. Catcalled or older female wait staff and rando blotto cougars groping?

3. No, but please, do this. You will either:

A. Get in a shouting match with some douche in a Vineyard Vines shirt
B. Get dip spit on you
C. End up on youtube getting jumped while 20 people shout WORLD STAR and walk off with your cell phone, keys, and wallet.

4. N/A

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
1. Not me.

B. Get dip spit on you
C. End up on youtube getting jumped while 20 people shout WORLD STAR and walk off with your cell phone, keys, and wallet.

4. N/A
3. not necessarily. you can tell people to chillax in a non-confrontational and non-asshaholic way.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
1. Not me.

B. Get dip spit on you

4. N/A
also, the place to start would be with friends or family, not necessarily with strangers.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
In the history of cat-calls has a cat-call ever got a cat-caller laid?

I now pronounce you with the Michael Jordan of cat-calling, and no iFall, he's not black...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
3. not necessarily. you can tell people to chillax in a non-confrontational and non-asshaholic way.
Look Hal I dunno what it's like where you live. In Florida, you tell someone to be careful going fishing in an electrical storm, they're going to tell you that nobody tells them what to do, then they're climbing onto the roof and waving the pole around to spite you.

I don't think you will make any progress, whatsoever, trying to tell people who catcall women not to do it. You are confronting someone with their behavior you disapprove of. There is a non-confrontational way for women to exit the area. White Knighting means you're in the lists with all your sh!t, ready to gallop. By definition, from the jump.

also, the place to start would be with friends or family, not necessarily with strangers.
I've been alive 39 years and I've never seen friends/family catcall women. Most times I've seen a woman catcalled, I was FAR KING THRILLED their attention was on her and not me, because it was, without fail, an away game scenario where I had "keep moving; listen for footsteps" running through my mind the instant I saw I had to pass an obvious ambush position, outnumbered at least 4-1.