Can we talk about HAWAIIAN BIG WAVE SURFERS?

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Will there be a portion about your dad blocking for you and pissing off everyone in the water?
Thank you for this question. Inquiring minds want an answer to that question. Almost worth a quick flight to Oahu to attend and ask that during the event.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Who is Chris?

Is Kewalos that crowded? I rarely surf over there on that side. I need to start going more but I’m pretty lazy and haven’t been surfing there since high school.

Is that whole stretch just insanely crowded cause it’s offshore wind there???

Ron Iwami is a cool guy. Retired fire. Saved flies and point panic.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Who is Chris?

Is Kewalos that crowded? I rarely surf over there on that side. I need to start going more but I’m pretty lazy and haven’t been surfing there since high school.

Is that whole stretch just insanely crowded cause it’s offshore wind there???

Ron Iwami is a cool guy. Retired fire. Saved flies and point panic.
Who is Chris? He is the Father of Carissa Moore. Some of his antics in the water were just brutal.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Who is Chris? He is the Father of Carissa Moore. Some of his antics in the water were just brutal.
Go on...
Have seen him coaching kids in town, usually sits inside and goes for scraps. Don’t think I’ve seen him elsewhere. Maybe you other ol’ timers know different?

Reactions: bluemarlin04

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Chris used to push Carissa into waves at Rockpile Rights when she was just learning. It would irk the crew out there. Later as she got older Chris would sit outside paddle for a set to keep the pack off and pull back so Carissa would get it. They would do this at other spots as she advanced in skill. DH, Kewalos, Bowls. He did the same with the younger daughters but they weren’t as gifted as Carissa is. Well not many are. It’s funny cause his tactics rubbed a lot of surfers the wrong way but most love Carissa. Everyone loves a champ.

Carissa has been giving back. She started Moore Aloha which is her nonprofit that helps mentor and coach young aspiring girl surfers. Since she’s gone a lot, Chris runs it most times. He swims out to Bowls or paddles out and helps the girls with technique and wave/spot knowledge. Especially when states rolls around. He also makes sure they get to school and do their school work. Chris is a champion long distance swimmer so he knows a little bit about competition. He used to irritate me but he’s mellowed out a lot. Goal accomplished with 4 world titles.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Chris is a very, very good bodysurfer. And Carissa is surely one of the most humble, down to earth, pure aloha world champions you will ever meet in any sport. So, Chris and her mom obviously did a lot right.

I just spotted the irony in CM giving a talk to groms about how to share in the lineup and couldn’t pass up the joke.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
She went to punahoe if I remember?

zeke went Kamehameha

So where did the Moniz kids attend?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
How do you know a surfer is from Hawaii brah??

they will tell you in the first ten seconds
If you claim you from Hawaii you better be prepared to answer the follow up question of where you went to high school.

I can’t tell you how many people when I lived in San Diego told me they were from Hawaii and when I asked them where they went to high school it was always “oh I went to school inland near the high desert and moved to Hawaii when I was 18” or some variation of that.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
There seemed to be something inherently wrong in humans and i bet is still in our dna. It’ll just show in a different way these days.
Those early settlers/conquistadors had one , and only one decision to make. Were they gonna co exists with the natives, or dominate them?

This has happened in many areas of the world, not only Hawaii.
I think about that a lot. For the most part every group has done something awful to another group, maybe an annoying HOA, Manager at work, or maybe a war/holocaust/imperialist genocide on a scale of millions dead and unspeakable horror. American manifest destiny is littered with examples since the first whisky rebelllion to the Indians and the occupation of the Philippines, the list is endless. But maybe at the end of the day, I’d prefer Pax Americana working hand in hand with the Illuminati. Can you imagine Sovie/Russian hegemony? no thanks. China will likely rule for a millennia 75 years from now. Blood, sometimes that of millions, will sometimes be spent. Since like forever. I’d rather we at least be in charge for as long as possible. We are just dust floating in an infinite bowl so if nothing really mattes anyway. I’d prefer my brief time here to be pleasant and first world full of surf and friends and wife of course and I hope those in poverty can continue to improve their lot too. A decent standard of living is possible now for vastly more people than would even have been imaginable 100 years ago. So maybe we aren’t all bad either. Sorry been watching The Hunters

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemarlin04

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I try to live with aloha and generosity to do my little part in balancing out the dark sh!t in my rather bleak post above

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
One of the better threads this discussion board has ever hosted. Thank You for your contributions.