Can we talk about extra virgin olive oil?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not to be snobby but I’m always intrigued by how American Italian food got to where it is, because it’s nothing like Italian food. (Some pizza joints being an exception).
That's not snobby at all, it's fact.

Kinda like "Italian American culture" is mostly Italian in name and DNA only.

Going to a 5 star review rated American Italian restaurants when traveling in the US is always such disappointment.
How many stars is Olive Garden?

Back in the 80s they used to make all the pasta in-house, fresh ingredients, etc.

My grandpappy used to like it so I'd been a few times.

Thirty years since I'd eaten there and somebody got my wife a giftcard to the place for $50...Free food so why not, right?

It was awful. Salt drenched. Tiny portions. Outrageously expensive. I was baffled the place still does a booming bizness.

The most regrettable thing is the tab ended up over $50, meaning I had to actually pay money for some of the meal. And then the tip.

:toilet:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Olive Garden?
Really?

I was in southern Italy in may. The food was amazing, but not so different than what my wife makes.
Her grandparents were Italian immigrants. Her mother learned from her grandmother . And my wife learned from her mother

There was no Olive Garden in their lives
Actually there was no Italian restaurants that they would go to. Why pay more for worse food

The same is true in our house. We don’t go out for Italian ever, unless it’s something planned by others and we are just going along with the plan

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Olive Garden?
Really?

I was in southern Italy in may. The food was amazing, but not so different than what my wife makes.
Her grandparents were Italian immigrants. Her mother learned from her grandmother . And my wife learned from her mother

There was no Olive Garden in their lives
Actually there was no Italian restaurants that they would go to. Why pay more for worse food

The same is true in our house. We don’t go out for Italian ever, unless it’s something planned by others and we are just going along with the plan
Bra, the pasta fagioli soup and endless salty bread sticks at Olive Garden is were it's at man!

At least it was in 1988.

I haven't eaten there since then when I was a starving peasant. LOL!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bra, the pasta fagioli soup and endless salty bread sticks at Olive Garden is were it's at man!

At least it was in 1988.

I haven't eaten there since then when I was a starving peasant. LOL!
It's not priced for starving peasants anymore.

Olive Garden?
Really?
Yes really.

It's been one of the most popular restaurant chains in the USA for decades.

Reactions: keenfish

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yes really.

It's been one of the most popular restaurant chains in the USA for decades.
I mean, maybe that because a lot of people live where people accept crappy food and dont really have access to decent food

I’ve never thought of Olive Garden as popular
it was always just the butt of a joke

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I mean, maybe that because a lot of people live where people accept crappy food and dont really have access to decent food

I’ve never thought of Olive Garden as popular
it was always just the butt of a joke
Bro, unlimited breadsticks! :roflmao:

Has anybody tried ordering fetuccine “Alfredo” in Italy? :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I guess the algorithm wanted to take me down a notch this morning. Put this post in my IG feed. Sounds like CR is saying Terra Delyssa is hot garbage. I probably deserved it. I was showing off a bit here with my EVOO pics and all. I guess I'll just stick to the Cobram since my local grocery store seems to put it on sale quite a bit.

http://instagr.am/p/C1Nl_BHOd0B/
Screenshot 2024-01-16 10.18.58 AM.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Going to Olive Garden for Italian food is like going to Taco Bell for Mexican food.

ps not that there's anything wrong with that. When I was a college student, sometimes after a surf, I would get the Taco Bell 6 pack of those regular old tacos and throw in a burrito on top. Yummm. :jamon:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Going to Olive Garden for Italian food is like going to Taco Bell for Mexican food.

ps not that there's anything wrong with that. When I was a college student, sometimes after a surf, I would get the Taco Bell 6 pack of those regular old tacos and throw in a burrito on top. Yummm. :jamon:
This exactly what those places are for. Late night runs in college to the local Taco Bell. We'd each buy a six pack of tacos and study as we chowed down. Cheap and simple.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Kirkland 3 liter olive oil doubled in price since the last time we bought it.
Saw that on my last visit there and thought it was a typo. Had to look it up and … climate change screwed up the production the past year in the Mediterranean with floods/drought…, then I thought those Temecula Olive oil grove owners are Stocked.