Can we talk about eliminating pennies, nickels, dimes and maybe quarters?

Jul 18, 2019
Nobody uses them except old ladies holding up the grocery store line with their big purses. Homeless people only accept paper money now. The only thing quarters are useful for is laundromats, video games and tips.

austard

Michael Peterson status
Nov 12, 2009
State of Grace
American $1 dollar coins, minted in each State,State emblem on front, George Washington on reverse.

make it the lowest denomination of physical currency.

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
Here in Latin America they're still used regularly....i used to give them to the housekeeper on a weekly basis but then the "decorator" found the big bucket and stole them all...:rolleyes:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
In brazil we ditched the 1 cent coin. we still get 0.99 cents prices, but if you're paying in cash, you pay a full Real. You can get 5 cents back if you bitch about it, but really?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
you forgot parking meters.
If you're lucky.

There's still some (coin) based ones, but there are card-only ones and, in downtown Santa Cruz amidst the hordes of "currently experiencing a shortage of shelter and a surplus of substance-induced altered mental state individuals" you need a smartphone with 15 different apps.

• Angry
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The last thing we should ever submit to is eliminating hard currency.
Why exactly? I mean, sure, we all want to be able to do illegal things with our money that shouldn't be easily tracked (paper money beats anything for this)... but other than the ability to do shady things with our money... why?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why exactly? I mean, sure, we all want to be able to do illegal things with our money that shouldn't be easily tracked (paper money beats anything for this)... but other than the ability to do shady things with our money... why?
Power/comms outages. Highly rural commerce. If someone announces some kind of infrastructure improvement in your neighborhood you will lose internet once every two weeks for the next three years.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
same can be said about all paper money. cant remmeber the last time i took money from an atm or payed for anything in cash.
I love paying for stuff by cash, at some places it actually saves me money to buy in cash. But I can see some point in the future where one pays by other methods more secure than plastic card.

PS (for below)
There was some hullaballoo in SF about places that don't take cash. Something something something economic discrimination something something something illegal something something. I find it interesting places are doing so well they don't need customers who want to pay by physical currency and want to give up X% of payment to a 'payment processor'.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The Dune Deck in Lantana won't take cards. ATM on-site but that's it.
I've run into that as well. The merchant pays for the privilege of accepting cards but when a bad card get's passed, all the protection is on the other side of the transaction. Then I've also seen people charging a cash price and a higher card price.

No cash at a restaurant tripped me out.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit