Can we at least all agree on this?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Hopefully we can all agree that banning infield shifts in Major League Baseball sucks.

I can't wrap my mind around why this is important or not, but either way baseball needs to make some major changes if it wants to stay relevant. It's by far the most unwatchable sport out there.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ifallalot

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'd like to see computer-called balls and strikes and no film reviews of plays on the bases
They did it in tennis.

As a person who didn't grow up with baseball, it's mind boggling that people would watch from a mile away somebody trying to throw a ball through an invisible rectangle.

Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I hate the Extra Innings rules.

First time I saw that, went to take a p*ss during a commercial, came out, and whoah that must have been a long p*ss! There's already someone on 2nd - sweet! And then slow realizations... and simmering irritation.

I don't care if the game goes 22 innings. Play the game the way it's to be played.

Oh and if we want to have a fun rule:

After the 3rd consecutive throw to first to stymie a baserunner, the runner is allowed one free punch to the first baseman and/or first base coach. The pitcher is allowed to bean any of the three at will while this is going on.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think the clock for pitchers will help speed up the game a lot. Other rules to consider to speed up games are limits on throws to first, limits on pitcher changes in the middle of an inning to once per inning and twice per game, once a batter plants both feet in the box he can't step out and call time, if a batter has 2 strikes on him and hits 3 fouls he's out, stuff like that.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think the clock for pitchers will help speed up the game a lot. Other rules to consider to speed up games are limits on throws to first, limits on pitcher changes in the middle of an inning to once per inning and twice per game, once a batter plants both feet in the box he can't step out and call time, if a batter has 2 strikes on him and hits 3 fouls he's out, stuff like that.
All of this. It’s absurd.

One thing that I also think hurts baseball is that there is no clear path from college to pros. With basketball and football you get excited about the players while they are in college and then you can see them in the pros immediately after. With baseball they are nobodies in the minor leagues forever even if you did watch them in college, if they even went.

Reactions: Kento and Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I hate baseball.

But one time my friends cousin who was a coach got us seats right down on the field behind home plate.

I couldn't believe all the super dolled up hot chicks there were.

My friend said they were there to try to snag a pro baseball player.

It was insane.

I hated spectator sports but I loved to look at pretty girls.

I still do.

• Dislike

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'd like to see computer-called balls and strikes and no film reviews of plays on the bases
Yup

Baseball is worried about game speed, but instant replay is more of a time suck than anything else. Then you have umps like Angel Hernandez who are worse at umpiring than the umps at my son's travel ball games.

Banning the shift is the wrong way to go. There is the argument that because pitchers are so good and so powerful, batters can only swing away and pull the ball right into the shift. There's an element of truth to that, but dugouts and front offices are so analytics-driven that batters are being instructed to ONLY swing away. That's why the game is nothing but Ks and HRs. This is basically true statistically, that swinging for an HR will be more effective more often than playing small ball, but its overall destroying the game. This is also why the bases are growing, baseball is trying to push back to small-ball, steals, hit & runs, etc by putting their finger on the scale of the rules

And f all you guys, baseball is hands down the best sport

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
All of this. It’s absurd.

One thing that I also think hurts baseball is that there is no clear path from college to pros. With basketball and football you get excited about the players while they are in college and then you can see them in the pros immediately after. With baseball they are nobodies in the minor leagues forever even if you did watch them in college, if they even went.
Agree 100%

And college baseball is GREAT to watch, just as good as college football. The TV providers fuck that up too though, as they schedule the National Championship game on absurd times and days

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yup

Baseball is worried about game speed, but instant replay is more of a time suck than anything else. Then you have umps like Angel Hernandez who are worse at umpiring than the umps at my son's travel ball games.

Banning the shift is the wrong way to go. There is the argument that because pitchers are so good and so powerful, batters can only swing away and pull the ball right into the shift. There's an element of truth to that, but dugouts and front offices are so analytics-driven that batters are being instructed to ONLY swing away. That's why the game is nothing but Ks and HRs. This is basically true statistically, that swinging for an HR will be more effective more often than playing small ball, but its overall destroying the game. This is also why the bases are growing, baseball is trying to push back to small-ball, steals, hit & runs, etc by putting their finger on the scale of the rules

And f all you guys, baseball is hands down the best sport
You want to make it interesting, move the pitchers mound back about five feet and go to a baseball that doesn't fly as far.

Mar 1, 2010
like the shift rule.. seeing a 2b 75 feet into right field is just dumb. other ones i could do without especially the larger bases. if it was for safety why not just make first base bigger or extend it into foul territory a bit like softball

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
like the shift rule.. seeing a 2b 75 feet into right field is just dumb. other ones i could do without especially the larger bases. if it was for safety why not just make first base bigger or extend it into foul territory a bit like softball
I hate the shift rule. If a batter is that predictable by all means shift. If a batter doesn't like it the other side is wiiiiiiiide open.

Mar 1, 2010
I hate the shift rule. If a batter is that predictable by all means shift. If a batter doesn't like it the other side is wiiiiiiiide open.
yes the other side is wide open BUT pitchers then will do nothing but pound the lefty hitters in where they are even more likely to pull the ball into the shift. only mistakes are hit where the SS is normally playing against a lefty hitter. yes they could bunt but thats another argument. nobody wants to see 3 4 5 batters bunt

• Love

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
yes the other side is wide open BUT pitchers then will do nothing but pound the lefty hitters in where they are even more likely to pull the ball into the shift. only mistakes are hit where the SS is normally playing against a lefty hitter. yes they could bunt but thats another argument. nobody wants to see 3 4 5 batters bunt
Its all strategy to keep the fielders honest.

Mar 1, 2010
Bingo. Its nothing new.
nothing new? how often was that done? and i'm sure they did this based on count and who's pitching as well? i would like to know when in the game this was as well.. was it late playing no doubles defense? a bunt single would be a gift for the opponent so that mccovey doesn't tank one. todays game involves a shift after each pitch its ridiculous. u have 3rd basemen jogging from one side of the diamond all the way to the other based on count