Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
grapedrink said:
scooch said:
Just curious whats your preferred method of watering ie, drip system, soaker hose, watering each individual plant, etc? I have 3 8ft.X4ft raised beds. Soon to add 3 more. Takes me a while to go around and hit each plant.
The simplest way is to use different rate emitters based on the watering needs. Use 1/2 gallon per hour for the plants that need the least water, 1 GPH for the moderately thirsty plants, and 2 GPH for thirstiest stuff. Group plants per bed based on watering needs and put a solanoid valve at each bed for more control.

Keep it simple :beer:
Basically this. I have all plants on the same 4 zone controller. I use different emitters for different plants to control the water flow and pressure. Succulents, lavender, rosemary and other desert shrubs are on the drip, citrus and avocado trees have a bubbler, veggies get the spray emitter etc...

Other than the veggies, all my plants are drought tolerant, most of them native to the area and some of them don't get direct water at all and still live happily. :cheers:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
[img:center]http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10467734_1492188931014894_974178291_n.jpg[/img]

We have had these guys for days now...... pretty burnt but kids still seem to love them. Good landscaping ground cover with a bonus. Razzies are poping now and lettuce, spinach, beats, kale, chard, etc have been substantiating.

Other than a hail storm about a week ago we have had one of the better early gardens in years due to the warm and dryish Spring. Tomatoes are going richter. Might even get a good pepper run this season.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
afoaf said:
I had a salty old neighbor who swore by letting his tomato
plants get starved for water before drenching them again.

just throwing it out there.
I am sort of in line with your salty old neighbor.

So are people like these (click me).

But I water my tomatoes some....mainly because I have packed a few fruit trees around the garden and those puppies take all the water. A case of too many plants all sipping from the same jar, as it were.

Too much water and you have tasteless tomatoes.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Do i pluck those little yellow flowers off? How about the flowers on the jalapeños? Or no, those actually become the fruit right?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Subway don't go plucking any blossoms until you know what's what. Yes, the flowers become the fruit.

PPK I'm so jealous.

Jul 12, 2012
Good thread.
Just pulled my Onions this morning. Got a couple behemoths, right down to shallot sized ones. Got a small patch in the front yard, all the nanny's stop and point with the kids on the way to the park. The Zuchinni is also going gangbusters.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
subway said:
Do i pluck those little yellow flowers off? How about the flowers on the jalapeños? Or no, those actually become the fruit right?
No flowers, no fruiting.

Sometimes that is good (basil...flowing takes away energy from getting big leaves), sometimes needed (apples, peaches, other stone fruit...too much fruit on too weak a fruit spur or branch), and in your case, bad, no flowers, no peppers/tomatoes....unless you want to force more vegetative growth for one reason or another.

PPK---> Envy. (insert drooling icon here)

PhatCruiser

Michael Peterson status
Feb 8, 2007
Strawberries outside the house. Have to cover them to keep the neighbor's marauding peacocks away. Also have basil and bell peppers near the back door.

A few months ago.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
"Marauding Peacocks" is the name of my new humane pest removal company

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
ok cool that's what I've been doing. Leaving the tomato and pepper flowers, and plucking the basil flowers. Not sure how the hell I managed to kill my parsley. i think i just got bad plants from the store

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i actually already have some sizable jalapenos and green tomatoes already

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon

mint, greens, chives, cilantro, parsely, thyme, lemongrass, radish, garlic & basil in 1st bed. tomatoes, peppers and tomatillos in back beds.

straws

rasps

last year's blackberry harvest (while fishing!):

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
subway said:
ok cool that's what I've been doing. Leaving the tomato and pepper flowers, and plucking the basil flowers. Not sure how the hell I managed to kill my parsley. i think i just got bad plants from the store
Our Italian parsley reseeds itself...I think the only way to kill it is to eat too much of it, or over-water it.

The pear tree is in the middle of it's summer (fog) slowdown, but the plums (Hollywood varietal, a Japanese plum) are ready to go. The surviving apricot fruits have been bird pecked (grrrr, but c'est la vie...we use it mostly as a windbreak anyway), and the pluot is doing great...just need more heat).

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
its growing these crazy, coarse vertical shafts with just tiny little leaves on it, while the bigger flatter leaves keep yellowing and dying

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
over watered probably, should i snip the bolts? (or should I ask that in that other "snip" thread?)