Californians Are Going To Be Drinking Thier Own **** Now

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This comes up all the time. It’s not a big deal. People freak out. Water is water.

My beef here is this….

Almost all of the significant restrictions on water use in CA are directed at residential use. Limit showers, tiered pricing, don’t water your lawn, don’t wash you car…etc.

Yet over 90% of water in CA goes to agricultural and industrial use with almost 80% of the total going to just ag.

It takes over 3 gallons of water to make a single almond. California produces 80% of the world supply and 100% of the US supply of almonds.

We could literally shut off all residential water use entirely and wouldn’t solve our water issues.

The problem is this…too many people, not enough water storage, water intensive ag products.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This comes up all the time. It’s not a big deal. People freak out. Water is water.

My beef here is this….

Almost all of the significant restrictions on water use in CA are directed at residential use. Limit showers, tiered pricing, don’t water your lawn, don’t wash you car…etc.

Yet over 90% of water in CA goes to agricultural and industrial use with almost 80% of the total going to just ag.

It takes over 3 gallons of water to make a single almond. California produces 80% of the world supply and 100% of the US supply of almonds.

We could literally shut off all residential water use entirely and wouldn’t solve our water issues.

The problem is this…too many people, not enough water storage, water intensive ag products.
You nailed the problem but then blamed something else. Why do we encourage/allow almond farming? Almonds aren’t native to CA and almond farming only exists here because they created a water system to support it. Same goes for alfalfa. Why aren’t there tighter restrictions on ag water use?

Fix that and millions more could water their lawns!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You nailed the problem but then blamed something else. Why do we encourage/allow almond farming? Almonds aren’t native to CA and almond farming only exists here because they created a water system to support it. Same goes for alfalfa. Why aren’t there tighter restrictions on ag water use?

Fix that and millions more could water their lawns!
When I said “too many people” I meant generally. I didn’t mean “too many people in california”.

I meant too many people.

But yes, we could sustain many many more people if we stopped buying almond “milk” at Whole Foods. We could also build more reservoirs but that has all kinds of environmental implications that nobody really wants.

Why aren’t there more restriction on ag use?

I don’t know. Could be that farmers are protected class. Could be lobbying - most farms in CA are run by huge corporations and donate massive sums of money to the people who run california - the vast majority of whom belong to one political party.

There’s also a pesky little water rights legacy that is difficult to get around.

Also, people are weird. They want to “do something” about “climate change” so when big daddy Newsom tells them to take one minute showers it makes them feel good to please their hero. They can also go on twitter and call out “rich people” who water their lawns.

”I’m helping.”

Kelly Slater Surf Ranch uses a massive amount of water. Summertime evaporation rate is surprisingly large.

People still don’t even have water meters in Sacramento.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Got paywalled but I would say that one thing not considered is that not everything is wastewater. How you going to filter prescription drugs and god knows what else people flush down the toilet?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
how much electricity is water treatment going to use? the newsome admin treats the grid like its infinite or at least until its not.

we have a housing crisis so we build more houses but dont have the water or power resource to serve the new community. we ban internal combustion engines and replace them with electric. we ban gas appliances and replace them with electric.

anyone else see a cart before the horse pattern going on in ca guv?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
how much electricity is water treatment going to use? the newsome admin treats the grid like its infinite or at least until its not.

we have a housing crisis so we build more houses but dont have the water or power resource to serve the new community. we ban internal combustion engines and replace them with electric. we ban gas appliances and replace them with electric.

The simple answer is nobody needs to see the cart before the horse because they trust someone else to make sure that their power needs are met. I don’t realistically see affordable technology available to the masses in the next 15 years. The power companies can’t keep up the grid and annexes to mitigate burning up California.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Random thoughts on CA water

- Alfalfa uses even more water than Almonds and IIRC most of that gets sold to China and Japan.

- Chinatown is an excellent movie sorta based around CA water rights

- rainwater harvest systems are the sh!t

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I can live without almonds. But not Avocados.

Do Avocado groves use up as much water as Almond groves?

Why can't they find a better way to harvest the runoff going down the Santa Ana, LA, San Gabriel and Ventucky rivers?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

This is what happens when you let a bunch of lawyers/politicians make energy policy.

Same goes for education, healthcare, etc.