California CRV

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
now its a tax because you cant cash your cans and bottles in basically anywhere.

this state is fked.

so lets look at this

$1 for a can of soda. 8% tax plus 5c CRV

Thats a 13% tax

Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
From what I understand the CRV program has been bankrupt for a while and the state just simply can't afford it anymore.

The nice thing is when some of the recycling centers closed we saw a marked decrease in the number of scavengers that were turning our alley into an environmental disaster.

This could be a good thing.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If there is going to be regulation (and there will be) what Oregon is doing actually seems like a reasonable idea.

Another thing

It's just plain stupid beer is so often sold in individual bottles/cans in this country instead of liters.
The reason for this if I'm not mistaken is state regulations regarding volumes of alcohol sold.
But on a returnable system the liter makes so much more sense.

Other countries still use returnable glass bottle systems like we used to have. There's some excuse as to why the glass bottle system stopped in this country but I'm guessing it's BS because it seems to be working fine elsewhere.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Other countries still use returnable glass bottle systems like we used to have. There's some excuse as to why the glass bottle system stopped in this country but I'm guessing it's BS because it seems to be working fine elsewhere.
Do you think this problem is caused by too much regulation?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Someone should sue the CA government over this forced tax called a "redemption deposit", that even if you take to the very few recycle centers left that accept them, you don't get anywhere near the 5 cents per bottle back in equal weight.

Some states are actually just dumping all these "recyclable" bottles and cans into the land fills, because it's so cost ineffective, since even China doesn't want them anymore. Such a sham laden farce this whole program has become. I'd find a lawyer to sue, if I didn't have anything better to do.

Last edited:

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
i also saw a decrease in the vagrants. They will now resort to thefts... they all know $950 or less is a slap on the wrist.
If the CRV program is BK then it should be abandoned and let us recycle aluminum and glass by weight...